Shopping Discussion

Sears delivery truck breaks down..rescheduling me after a week..should I make a fuss?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 9th, 2014 11:52 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Aug 26, 2009
29 posts
Calgary

Sears delivery truck breaks down..rescheduling me after a week..should I make a fuss?

I was supposed to receive my mattress yesterday (5-9 PM was my delivery window time). Delivery guy calls at 1PM asking if they can deliver the mattress at that time as they were ahead of schedule. I said I can't as I was at work. At 5PM I was home and waiting for them. At 8PM, someone from the delivery company calls and tells me their truck that has my stuff broke down and couldn't deliver my stuff until Tuesday.

Can they do this? Just reschedule me at the next available time? I thought they would at least try to fit me in the next day or the day after that..shouldn't I be a priority? Yeah I know I sound like an entitled brat, but I just feel upset that after I packed up the old bed and rearranged furniture so that they'd have a clear path, I'd have to sleep on the floor for almost a week.
12 replies
Apr 2, 2009
851 posts
230 upvotes
ice.tsubasa wrote:
Jan 9th, 2014 1:26 pm
I know I sound like an entitled brat,
Pretty much this. It sucks but these things happen, it's part of life. It's much easier for them to bump 1 customer then to bump 5-6. They will have to bump someone else to fit you in for the next day, then they will have to bump someone else again to arrange a new time for the bumped customer that was bumped for you all the way down the line until Tuesday.

1 disgruntled customer or 5-6? Easy decision.
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
21281 posts
2104 upvotes
ice.tsubasa wrote:
I was supposed to receive my mattress yesterday (5-9 PM was my delivery window time). Delivery guy calls at 1PM asking if they can deliver the mattress at that time as they were ahead of schedule. I said I can't as I was at work. At 5PM I was home and waiting for them. At 8PM, someone from the delivery company calls and tells me their truck that has my stuff broke down and couldn't deliver my stuff until Tuesday.

Can they do this? Just reschedule me at the next available time? I thought they would at least try to fit me in the next day or the day after that..shouldn't I be a priority? Yeah I know I sound like an entitled brat, but I just feel upset that after I packed up the old bed and rearranged furniture so that they'd have a clear path, I'd have to sleep on the floor for almost a week.
You can call them and ask for a small refund.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2010
6030 posts
581 upvotes
SW Ontario
Sounds like they may have just finished early and didn't want to stay out (or pay them to stay out) to do your later delivery.
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2013
1279 posts
474 upvotes
Toronto
You took no time off work so what's the big deal? You said you packed up the old bed but not that you threw it away so just slam it back on the floor and sleep on it for a week.

If you paid for delivery maybe try to get them to return the money as compensation?
Mar 14, 2007
730 posts
57 upvotes
All these delivery trucks are like whether it is Sears, The Brick, Leon's, etc.

With the brick they had to come back to my place like 4 times because every single time they came there was something damaged or missing so I refused delivery. Eventually they got it right after the 5th time and lots of complaining back to the Brick, very inefficent and they definitely lost money because of all of that.

The only good delivery service I've ever had was for the Home Depot, ordered a new Fridge once and a new dishwasher and washing machine another time, those Home Depot delivery guys were top notch.
[OP]
Aug 26, 2009
29 posts
Calgary
redgrandam wrote:
Jan 9th, 2014 2:57 pm
Sounds like they may have just finished early and didn't want to stay out (or pay them to stay out) to do your later delivery.

This is why I feel a little upset. I feel like the broken down truck is just an excuse..it seems too suspicious that they called me earlier and then the truck breaks down..and it seems like a very well used excuse by Sears delivery (I did a google search and there seems to be quite a number of complaints with the truck breaking down).
[OP]
Aug 26, 2009
29 posts
Calgary
zerokarma wrote:
Jan 9th, 2014 3:07 pm
All these delivery trucks are like whether it is Sears, The Brick, Leon's, etc.

With the brick they had to come back to my place like 4 times because every single time they came there was something damaged or missing so I refused delivery. Eventually they got it right after the 5th time and lots of complaining back to the Brick, very inefficent and they definitely lost money because of all of that.
Lol I might go postal if that happens to me. It's my first big item delivery so I guess it was too naive to think it would go well. There goes my excitement for my new bed.
Banned
Jun 22, 2012
4737 posts
686 upvotes
Shhanada
ice.tsubasa wrote:

It does sound kind of messed up, where they first want to come early, then suddenly they can't come at all. I'm suspect of the 'broken truck' story myself, it sounds like the delivery outfit finished early and didn't want to wait 5 hours to do that one final delivery. But I suppose trucks do sometimes break down.

I was going to say that if it just means sleeping on your old mattress for a week and you had no costs or impacts, then who cares.

But you did say that you prepared for them them by taking down your old mattress, and you'll have to spend time replacing it, then preparing again next week.

While you can't exactly expect Sears to pay you full wage for your time lost, maybe they would be agreeable to reduce or eliminate any delivery fee? I suspect they use different contractors in different locations and maybe they could dock the delivery firm if they find out they were playing games with your delivery.

Personally, I'd be calling this strike one, and letting it go. But if anything else happens, like another missed appointment, I'd be seeking a compromise.

It's no consolation for you, but I remember and time and place where the nearest Sears store couldn't find a reliable delivery company in the area that would live up to their standards, so they simply couldn't/wouldn't deliver to our neighborhood. That sucked, because then you were at the mercy of calling those same crummy delivery companies that had already been blacklisted by Sears and negotiating them to deliver your one mattress, at whatever price and time they preferred. So again, not saying your situation is right or fair, just that it could be (a little) worse.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2007
5033 posts
917 upvotes
Peterborough
Yeah - they were probably close to you earlier in the day when they called and were either just finishing their last call or already done when they canceled that night.

Truck broke down - likely story.

If you pd for delivery get the money back. If not ask a reasonble sum for a refund maybe $50 or so for the inconvenience.

If they day no threaten to cancel the order.
[QUOTE]I know you are, but what am I.... ;) [/QUOTE]
Mar 23, 2013
706 posts
119 upvotes
Kitchener
Sounds like they didn't want to come later on so penciled you on for tuesday
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2005
10453 posts
2015 upvotes
Nowhere
Trucks break down. I highly doubt they pretended to have a truck breakdown just to get out of delivering your mattress. They'll have to eventually do it and whether or not the truck broke down is something that could be verified. The workers do get paid to deliver so I think it would have been in their best interest to wait.

Every time I have had a scheduled appointment at home whether a delivery or repair call, they always call and want to come early. I don't know why they sent up appointments for set times when these appointments don't seem to work for the delivery people or technicians. So I wouldn't put much weight into the fact that they called and wanted to come earlier. They were probably already in your area and thought they'd do you a favour by coming early.
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2009
5675 posts
1510 upvotes
Montreal
Cheap Cat wrote:
Jan 9th, 2014 11:42 pm
Trucks break down. I highly doubt they pretended to have a truck breakdown just to get out of delivering your mattress. They'll have to eventually do it and whether or not the truck broke down is something that could be verified. The workers do get paid to deliver so I think it would have been in their best interest to wait.

Every time I have had a scheduled appointment at home whether a delivery or repair call, they always call and want to come early. I don't know why they sent up appointments for set times when these appointments don't seem to work for the delivery people or technicians. So I wouldn't put much weight into the fact that they called and wanted to come earlier. They were probably already in your area and thought they'd do you a favour by coming early.
Scheduling appointments for deliveries, technician visits, etc is very complicated.

In some cases, the delivery man shows up at a job expecting a 10 minute delivery and ends up getting stuck for 45 minutes because the recipient didn't have the old furniture ready to go or the doorway was too narrow or the elevator was out of service. And in some cases, things go super smooth and they're in and out in 5 minutes. It's a crapshoot.