Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Sears

Gym accessories on clearance

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 4th, 2017 7:42 pm
Deal Expert
Oct 30, 2006
16321 posts
7966 upvotes
Can a deal thread just be a deal thread without judgement?
Dec 24, 2011
891 posts
634 upvotes
Why is there this pissing match against Marathon runners?

Running marathons will be better than being a couch potato. People run marathons as a test of will, perseverance, challenge, etc. The rule of thumb is "everything in moderation" and that goes from marathon running to weight lifting, and if you over-do it there can be negative side-effects. However, being passionate and working towards a goal that may create health issues long term is better than doing nothing.

And let's be honest. I doubt anyone here is in perfect health and does everything by the book. Most people eat fast food once or two a week or junk food. Others binge watch Netflix for 5 hours on a lazy Sunday. None of that is good for you.
Deal Expert
Jan 12, 2017
23017 posts
6890 upvotes
Scarberia
damn, wanted that chinup bar! its OOS! :(
*SIG: Ryzen R5 2600 cpu w/ ASrock B450M OCd to 4.0ghz@1.265v stock cooler 16gb ram win10 pro w/radeon rx460 rogers Gigabit<< xb1 gamertag: mikka2017 >>
Deal Fanatic
Nov 18, 2008
9291 posts
2352 upvotes
Mont-Royal
cstriker045 wrote: Why is there this pissing match against Marathon runners?

Running marathons will be better than being a couch potato. People run marathons as a test of will, perseverance, challenge, etc. The rule of thumb is "everything in moderation" and that goes from marathon running to weight lifting, and if you over-do it there can be negative side-effects. However, being passionate and working towards a goal that may create health issues long term is better than doing nothing.

And let's be honest. I doubt anyone here is in perfect health and does everything by the book. Most people eat fast food once or two a week or junk food. Others binge watch Netflix for 5 hours on a lazy Sunday. None of that is good for you.
You said it yourself. "you over-do it there can be negative side-effects". Marathon is clearly over-do-it.

Otherwise, no one said it was easy to run a marathon. It is indeed very hard. You might die from not working out, but you can die also from running a marathon. What we rather meant is moderation, running = ok, with good technique and under an hour. Heart is a muscle.

Anything excessive is more harmful than good.¸

I do p90x, and it has everything. I skipped their cardio and mma workouts, and go with something better. I don't have friends who do p90x, but I got plently of friends of run marathon. For weight loss and muscle gain, marathon is clearly not the good choice.

It's just like squat. For the majority of the people, squats aren't a good exercice and might cause more harm to your knees. Why? Because you can't really have a proper technique when you're out of shape. You need a mirror or someone to spot you.

I do yoga for flexibility. Tell, me any other guys here do it?? I am not a yogi person, and I prefer to run to lose more calories trust me. But if you're all jacked up and not flexible, what's the point? You probably can't even reach your back when taking a shower. I think the more you train, the more confident you get, and also the more douchebag you can be (for a good number of people). Doing yoga allows you not to become a douchebag. Either way, I am not saying we all should do yoga, I do it once per week, and plan to decrease it to once per 2 weeks.

We are good in what we train and it can be addictive to keep training the same thing because we are good at it. The challenge is a balance to everything. You need strength, balance, agility, endurance. These are the 4 aspects for ultimate fitness. When you focus in one of them, you lose the other aspect assuming you don't train 3 hours per day... and if you do, you probably won't have time for rfd.. You see, the perfect road for fitness is nearly not reachable, that is why we keep training, other than being healthy.
"Every marathon you run, your heart scars and you will die faster. If you think running a marathon is fitness, then you know NOTHING ABOUT HEALTH & FITNESS."
- Training 101
Jan 14, 2017
712 posts
400 upvotes
evox44 wrote: this may provide some info...

basically running prolongs life. but not running fast, daily, or for too long.
Because you say so, doesn't make it true.

You need to do more reading; the jury is still out on the effects of prolonged running.

Here's a more recent article.
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2008
1678 posts
1999 upvotes
GTA
Jon Lai wrote: Was going to buy it but saw it was only 6mm. Isn't that a bit thin?
Maybe, I'll have to see how tough the material is I'm that case.
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2015
2684 posts
3199 upvotes
sweet got an email it shipped. has a ups tracking number.
Feb 17, 2017
87 posts
29 upvotes
Where did you see that elliptical for 279?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
9779 posts
2050 upvotes
Toronto
Is that body by Jake 200lbs of resistance any good?
Jun 18, 2011
35 posts
97 upvotes
Montreal
Also got my UPS confirmation email. Shipping to the store near home. =]
Dec 24, 2011
891 posts
634 upvotes
L4cky wrote: You said it yourself. "you over-do it there can be negative side-effects". Marathon is clearly over-do-it.

Otherwise, no one said it was easy to run a marathon. It is indeed very hard. You might die from not working out, but you can die also from running a marathon. What we rather meant is moderation, running = ok, with good technique and under an hour. Heart is a muscle.

Anything excessive is more harmful than good.¸

I do p90x, and it has everything. I skipped their cardio and mma workouts, and go with something better. I don't have friends who do p90x, but I got plently of friends of run marathon. For weight loss and muscle gain, marathon is clearly not the good choice.

It's just like squat. For the majority of the people, squats aren't a good exercice and might cause more harm to your knees. Why? Because you can't really have a proper technique when you're out of shape. You need a mirror or someone to spot you.

I do yoga for flexibility. Tell, me any other guys here do it?? I am not a yogi person, and I prefer to run to lose more calories trust me. But if you're all jacked up and not flexible, what's the point? You probably can't even reach your back when taking a shower. I think the more you train, the more confident you get, and also the more douchebag you can be (for a good number of people). Doing yoga allows you not to become a douchebag. Either way, I am not saying we all should do yoga, I do it once per week, and plan to decrease it to once per 2 weeks.

We are good in what we train and it can be addictive to keep training the same thing because we are good at it. The challenge is a balance to everything. You need strength, balance, agility, endurance. These are the 4 aspects for ultimate fitness. When you focus in one of them, you lose the other aspect assuming you don't train 3 hours per day... and if you do, you probably won't have time for rfd.. You see, the perfect road for fitness is nearly not reachable, that is why we keep training, other than being healthy.
I'm sure marathon runners know their bodies and the potential side effects better than anyone, that's all i'm saying.

Everyone's personal goal and fitness is different. Some people don't care about balance, i'm sure Michael Phelps or Usain Bolt don't give a rats ass about how flexible or how much weight they can lift.

For the record, I hate running and would never do a marathon myself, i'd much rather do sports to get my cardio. However, I found it a bit ironic you call people who tend to get 'addictive' to what they're good at and become more of a douchebag. Isn't telling someone that they're dumb and hurting themselves for being passionate about marathon running a douchebag move? It's like going up to someone in the gym and trying to give them pointers. They didn't ask for advice, so don't be that person and try to educate them.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 18, 2008
9291 posts
2352 upvotes
Mont-Royal
cstriker045 wrote: I'm sure marathon runners know their bodies and the potential side effects better than anyone, that's all i'm saying.

Everyone's personal goal and fitness is different. Some people don't care about balance, i'm sure Michael Phelps or Usain Bolt don't give a rats ass about how flexible or how much weight they can lift.

For the record, I hate running and would never do a marathon myself, i'd much rather do sports to get my cardio. However, I found it a bit ironic you call people who tend to get 'addictive' to what they're good at and become more of a douchebag. Isn't telling someone that they're dumb and hurting themselves for being passionate about marathon running a douchebag move? It's like going up to someone in the gym and trying to give them pointers. They didn't ask for advice, so don't be that person and try to educate them.
Addictive because when you're good at something, you only want to do stuffs you're good at. You want to avoid what you aren't good. Lot of guys work on chest and arms, but what about legs?? Their body will eventually lead to injuries bc of muscle imbalance. For example, I don't like to do cardio because I sucked at it. But I pushed myself and did cardio workouts, and now it gets better and I have no problem to do cardio workouts. But I also realize my strength decreased with cardio workouts, hence, you're good at what you practice. I am different, I do a lot of different work outs, and trying to find the benefit of each single kind of workouts.

The bottom line of the stories is: variety of workouts is what bring the best out of people in terms of fitness. Running is amongst the worst in efficient training and injuries related.

We all live our life once, and I am not going to convince people I am right. But it is just damn fustrating to see people relate running to fitness or lose weight as the best method to achieve it. As long as people know the danger of a marathon and decide to do it, by all means they can do whatever they want. I am just here to point our the dangers of marathon for people who aren't aware of.

Just like the danger of deadlifts. Just like the danger of benching.

That being said, marathon runners will always be marathon runners. But they shouldn't spread around and claim it's the best fitness program ever, because it surely isn't. For me, whoever believes its workout is the best and all other workouts are irrevelant, that arrogance is what makes them a total douche.

Never had I say running is bad. But I firmly do believe running a marathon is bad for the body, and also you could be such a complete athlete training 3 hours per day than 3 hours of running. Doing the same repetitive movement is bad, open your keyboard manual instructions and read the warning... everything excessive is bad, and marathon is the excessive of running.
"Every marathon you run, your heart scars and you will die faster. If you think running a marathon is fitness, then you know NOTHING ABOUT HEALTH & FITNESS."
- Training 101
Jan 8, 2016
62 posts
428 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
Received a response from Sears regarding Order Cancellation, quoting "supplier was unable to refill the order"

Item: Better Body Solutions™ Universal Dip Station.

Anyone else had this issue?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)