Hot Deals

[Sears] Medela - Freestyle Double Electric Breast Pump $349.94 + FS (From $495)

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 5th, 2017 10:47 pm
[OP]
Jan 19, 2017
195 posts
107 upvotes

[Sears] Medela - Freestyle Double Electric Breast Pump $349.94 + FS (From $495)

First post, take it easy on me.

Wife just had 2nd baby and have been looking for a double pump. I haven't seen Medela's go on sale very frequently at all, found the freestyle on for $349 on Sears.ca, might also be in store also. Show's on the site $349, presented as if a regular price, but search page indicates it as Clearance from $494. Don't know the expiry date, sorry.

http://www.sears.ca/en/breast-feeding-n ... ng_nursing
38 replies
Mar 22, 2013
321 posts
193 upvotes
Toronto
Chiming in with my experience. We bought the Spectra breast pump, it’s a double, and have been very happy with it. It was recommended on baby gear lab. Only available on amazon in the us at the time we bought it, but is much less expensive than the options available in Canada.
Sep 9, 2011
48 posts
22 upvotes
Congrats!
In case you didn't know (like me), check to see if your insurance covers it. The insurance website made no mention of it but when I called the rep told me it was covered with a doctor's note
Feb 23, 2010
125 posts
48 upvotes
1SPiKE1 wrote:
Jul 27th, 2017 3:34 pm
Congrats!
In case you didn't know (like me), check to see if your insurance covers it. The insurance website made no mention of it but when I called the rep told me it was covered with a doctor's note
Under what insurance category does it fall under?
Mar 10, 2017
6 posts
2 upvotes
With my insurance it feel under 'medical devices' although I did have to get a Px from a doctor for the breast pump to supply my insurance company!
Jan 9, 2011
937 posts
226 upvotes
Vancouver
Great pump, got it for $399 when london drugs had it on sale. babiesrus and the other local baby stores can price match (which we did with tjskids)

If you're pregnant and preparing for the kid, it's good to get it now. We hoped it would be smooth sailing for breastfeeding, but we were so so wrong. I think it's actually rare for it to be as easy as the classes make it out to be.

After we got the pump, the wife was able to pump in the middle of the night for 15 minutes, and go back to bed. I was able to be up and bottle feed until the LO (little one) was full and could sleep for his proper 2-3 hours. I could help, she could sleep, baby would feed more efficiently. Everyone wins. Eventually the baby LO to feed better, and you can ditch the pump for everyday use.
Nov 29, 2013
55 posts
28 upvotes
TORONTO
Based on that fact you would make such a comment tells me that you probably weren't breast fed as a child imo. 166 down votes under your profile and one from me makes 167. Read up on the benefits and stop making dumb remarks.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2011
2370 posts
1196 upvotes
Markham
phil_edwards123 wrote:
Jul 27th, 2017 4:31 pm
Under what insurance category does it fall under?
Most decent insurance plans have a one-time per life payout for breast pumps under medical devices.
Nov 25, 2016
27 posts
11 upvotes
Sypsy wrote:
Jul 27th, 2017 5:18 pm
Great pump, got it for $399 when london drugs had it on sale. babiesrus and the other local baby stores can price match (which we did with tjskids)

If you're pregnant and preparing for the kid, it's good to get it now. We hoped it would be smooth sailing for breastfeeding, but we were so so wrong. I think it's actually rare for it to be as easy as the classes make it out to be.

After we got the pump, the wife was able to pump in the middle of the night for 15 minutes, and go back to bed. I was able to be up and bottle feed until the LO (little one) was full and could sleep for his proper 2-3 hours. I could help, she could sleep, baby would feed more efficiently. Everyone wins. Eventually the baby LO to feed better, and you can ditch the pump for everyday use.
I second that you should have a pump ready before having the baby; it is also good for increasing supply at the beginning.

This is a great price for the freestyle. Many reviews recommend the pump in style (stronger suction) - but it is so bulky compared to the freestyle (I have both). I had a friend who bought a pumping bra too and she would cook while pumping with the freestyle.
Oct 13, 2009
660 posts
248 upvotes
Edmonton
althanis wrote:
Jul 27th, 2017 1:06 pm
Chiming in with my experience. We bought the Spectra breast pump, it’s a double, and have been very happy with it. It was recommended on baby gear lab. Only available on amazon in the us at the time we bought it, but is much less expensive than the options available in Canada.
Wifey used the Medela Symphony in the hospital and it worked great for the week that we were there, so continued to use a Medela double at home.
It was harsh on her and didn't work very well, so we bought a Spectra S1 based on all the raving reviews.
We got ours express shipped from amazon UK (we already had the power adapter, but those can be had for a buck or two) because for some reason it ended up being cheaper than getting it off amazon.com or ebay.
Highly recommended over the Medela any day.

PS Get the S1 though, definitely worth the extra cost for portability.
Last edited by PatcheZ on Jul 28th, 2017 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jan 9, 2011
937 posts
226 upvotes
Vancouver
Mikaelali wrote:
Jul 27th, 2017 11:54 pm
I second that you should have a pump ready before having the baby; it is also good for increasing supply at the beginning.

This is a great price for the freestyle. Many reviews recommend the pump in style (stronger suction) - but it is so bulky compared to the freestyle (I have both). I had a friend who bought a pumping bra too and she would cook while pumping with the freestyle.
Our freestyle came with connectors to connect it to the nursing bras, no pumping bra needed, which was a nice touch. It also came with their calma nipple, which forces the baby to suck to get milk, to help reduce nipple confusion. We used it and experienced no nipple confusion. I wish I figured that out, but I didn't have much time to research (baby was like, 4 days old, we needed a pump stat), and I ended up buying some bottles that sat around for a while.
PatcheZ wrote:
Jul 28th, 2017 12:42 am
Wifey used the Medela Symphony in the hospital and it worked great for the week that we were there, so continued to use a Medela double at home.
It was harsh on her and didn't work very well, so we bought a Spectra S2 based on all the raving reviews.
We got ours express shipped from amazon UK (we already had the power adapter, but those can be had for a buck or two) because for some reason it ended up being cheaper than getting it off amazon.com or ebay.
Highly recommended over the Medela any day.

PS Get the S2 though, definitely worth the extra cost for portability.
Spectra S2 and Freestyle look similar in size. I don't see how it's more portable...?
Oct 13, 2009
660 posts
248 upvotes
Edmonton
Sypsy wrote:
Jul 28th, 2017 12:56 am
Spectra S2 and Freestyle look similar in size. I don't see how it's more portable...?
I meant get Spectra S1 over S2 :D
The Spectra is actually much bigger than the Freestyle, but I'm sure it also holds a lot longer charge. Wifey says suction on battery is the same as plugged in.
Spectra is also 2/3 of the price...
Last edited by PatcheZ on Jul 28th, 2017 1:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mar 22, 2013
321 posts
193 upvotes
Toronto
We got the S1, which is the plugin version. The S2 would be a better buy though, as you’re not chained down to wherever you can find an outlet.

As for insurance, I have pretty good insurance at work, but it actually wasn’t covered, which was too bad. But of course, you should always ask, as coverage might be spotty.
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2007
1047 posts
154 upvotes
Our insurance paid for a rental from a pharmacy for a few months, far superior to the ones you can buy, and then after that the cheap hand ones are good enough.