• Mar 5th, 2010 11:18 am
Tags:
None
Nov 4, 2007
747 posts
109 upvotes
Toronto

Season a wooden cutting board with Mineral Oil

Everything I've read states that you should season your wooden cutting board with mineral oil monthly. Where can you buy Food Grade Mineral Oil? (Store and brand please)

I've been able to find some at the drug store but it's for laxitives - not something I want to be introducing into my dinner when guest come over.
25 replies
[OP]
Nov 4, 2007
747 posts
109 upvotes
Toronto
At home outfitters I found Fox Run butcher block oil 8 oz for $10.

Also have tru bamboo mineral oil wipes - 30 for $4.
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2008
1170 posts
80 upvotes
I'm pretty sure it's the same stuff.

Mineral oil is a laxative when you eat spoonfuls of the stuff. There's no nutritional value so your body simply sends it all along its way. As it goes, it mixes with things, softening them up.

From a cutting board, you're hardly going to ingest any of it. Traces maybe. Certainly not enough to, um, affect anything inside.
Banned
Nov 30, 2009
20 posts
toronto
GreyingJay wrote:
Dec 1st, 2009 1:32 pm
I'm pretty sure it's the same stuff.

Mineral oil is a laxative when you eat spoonfuls of the stuff. There's no nutritional value so your body simply sends it all along its way. As it goes, it mixes with things, softening them up.

From a cutting board, you're hardly going to ingest any of it. Traces maybe. Certainly not enough to, um, affect anything inside.
Mineral oil from Shoppers drug Mart is the way to go.
It's foodsafe, cheap and does not turn rancid.
[OP]
Nov 4, 2007
747 posts
109 upvotes
Toronto
It's funny - that was the first place I went to and the ship keeper had to ask the pharmacist, who recommended not using the one they had because it's a laxative and shouldn't go on cutting boards.
Mar 28, 2008
828 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
So, should I really go by the laxative containing mineral oil from shoppers drug mart.

Or is a food grade mineral oil for cutting board available at some other place?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 2, 2008
9721 posts
427 upvotes
ihsn wrote:
Mar 1st, 2010 9:29 pm
Or is a food grade mineral oil for cutting board available at some other place?
This thread is only a few posts long, why not read all of them first?
Mar 28, 2008
828 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
slowtyper wrote:
Mar 1st, 2010 10:22 pm
This thread is only a few posts long, why not read all of them first?
Yes, I read it all. I know that it is available at Home outfitters, Ikea and Shopper drug mart.

I wanna know anyone has bought it at more reasonable prices in a different store perhaps, if not at these supermarkets.

Also, I wanna know any other alternatives to mineral oil that I can use for the wooden cutting board, coz it is really drying out.
Mar 28, 2008
828 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
Alton Brown suggests Walnut oil for wooden cutting boards. Where can I get it? and in what price is it usually available?
May 13, 2007
29 posts
Montreal
Go with the stuff from Shoppers. It's the exact same stuff I use on my cutting board. Refresh about once a month.

But it your board is already drying out, then it could be too late for you.
Mar 28, 2008
828 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
leofff wrote:
Mar 2nd, 2010 2:13 pm
Go with the stuff from Shoppers. It's the exact same stuff I use on my cutting board. Refresh about once a month.

But it your board is already drying out, then it could be too late for you.
I havent ever used the stuff from Shoppers, my only concern is it being a laxative.

What other stores carry food grade pure Walnut/Almond/Coconut oil. I read all these are recommended for cutting boards. I am looking for a reasonable price. Like within 10-15 CAD with taxes for a 500 ml bottle.
× < >