Seasonal Pools - Intex vs Summer Escapes

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 8th, 2012 11:07 pm
[OP]
Jan 9, 2008
77 posts
25 upvotes

Seasonal Pools - Intex vs Summer Escapes

I was hoping to get some opinions on a purchase that I am going to make in the next week or so. I want to install one of those seasonal pools that you can put up in the spring and take down in the fall. Walmart has some pretty good deals on them. This week, Zellers actually has one on sale as well. The two companies I always see are INTEX and SUMMER ESCAPES. Right now, I'm leaning more towards the Intex 16'x48" pool that Walmart has on for $438.

http://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/intex-16-x- ... RCH%3Apool

In addition to that, I plan on heading down to Niagara Falls, NY to buy the Saltwater filter (http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product. ... gMethod=rr) and pool light (http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product. ... gMethod=rr). For some strange reason, Walmart Canada doesn't seem to sell the saltwater filter and the lights I saw at Zellers are ridiculously priced.

I just wanted to know for those who had purchased either, what were the good and bad points.

Thanks.
5 replies
Oct 12, 2006
177 posts
8 upvotes
You may want to check to see if a building permit is required , believe it or don't .

If you are considering installing a swimming pool (this includes inflatable pools) please note that any pool which is capable of holding two (2) feet or more of water requires a building permit and needs to be protected by a fence or similar enclosure.
Aug 22, 2003
15539 posts
960 upvotes
Niagara Falls
+1 to Wallly's comment. Many municipalities and cities are really cracking down on these pools needing to comply with fencing codes, etc. I'd also add you should be checking with your insurance company and making sure you have adequate liability coverage as you are 100% responsible if anything happens to anyone, including a trespasser. I see so many of these pools on FreeCycle due to not being able to get replacement parts so keep this in mind.
Thinking seriously about the 4 S's...Sun, Sand, Surf and ... Booked for Sept in Mexico and booked Samana DR for Jan!
[OP]
Jan 9, 2008
77 posts
25 upvotes
Wallly wrote:
Jun 12th, 2012 4:40 pm
You may want to check to see if a building permit is required , believe it or don't .

If you are considering installing a swimming pool (this includes inflatable pools) please note that any pool which is capable of holding two (2) feet or more of water requires a building permit and needs to be protected by a fence or similar enclosure.

That's already taken care of. My municipality requires a permit. No issues with getting a permit, but they could at least be reasonable about it. I mean, $200 for a temporary pool is a little high imo.

Anyways, back to the topic....
Deal Fanatic
Dec 25, 2003
8539 posts
875 upvotes
Vancouver
From my recent research, Intex seems to get much better reviews than Summer Escapes.
General Radek had some good ideas.
Jun 19, 2010
80 posts
9 upvotes
We had an Intex pool, but it was the soft-sided kind that kind of looks like an upside-down mushroom and has an inflatable top ring, not the one with poles and straight sides. Anyway, it lasted us four years and then the top ring got a hole that I couldn't fix, but I just put pool noodles all around it and that seemed to work, but when I accidentally ran over the filter cord with my lawnmower at the end of the summer and we were moving that winter, so I pitched the pool at that time. Still, 4 years was pretty good for a $250 pool (mine was around 16' round by 42" deep) and I could have got another year or two out of it if I really wanted to.
× < >