Seasonal tax preparer, how to start?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 19th, 2017 4:27 pm
[OP]
May 3, 2016
206 posts
15 upvotes

Seasonal tax preparer, how to start?

If I'm interested in starting as a seasonal tax preparer, should I start by taking a class at Liberty Tax or H&R block? Which is preferred or are there better ones out there?

I just want to be a tax preparer and work my way up as I gain experience gradually, not aiming too high as a tax consultant or anything like that.
3 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2014
2952 posts
437 upvotes
It is difficult to tell from your post, but from the way it reads I suspect you do not have any tax knowledge or experience. If I am incorrect please indicate so.

I would not recommend H&R Block - when I studied tax in college the people who were failing tax worked there. Although it was a long time ago I expect it has not changed. I know nothing about Liberty Tax.

You have to be knowledgeable about tax - not on the phone constantly with CRA - anyone can do that. Surely there are other better tax courses you could take that would make your services far more appealing. Personally I would want someone experienced - and who would not suggest claiming items that fall into a "grey" area. Not suggesting that you would be one of those people, but I see it all the time. And remember, your name will go on the tax returns as having prepared the returns for money.

I would also look at insurance. I have relatives who are retired accountants and they will not do tax returns for anyone other than very close family - that do not pay them. My husband is one of them.
[OP]
May 3, 2016
206 posts
15 upvotes
Blanche123 wrote:
Apr 19th, 2017 10:20 am
It is difficult to tell from your post, but from the way it reads I suspect you do not have any tax knowledge or experience. If I am incorrect please indicate so.

I would not recommend H&R Block - when I studied tax in college the people who were failing tax worked there. Although it was a long time ago I expect it has not changed. I know nothing about Liberty Tax.

You have to be knowledgeable about tax - not on the phone constantly with CRA - anyone can do that. Surely there are other better tax courses you could take that would make your services far more appealing. Personally I would want someone experienced - and who would not suggest claiming items that fall into a "grey" area. Not suggesting that you would be one of those people, but I see it all the time. And remember, your name will go on the tax returns as having prepared the returns for money.

I would also look at insurance. I have relatives who are retired accountants and they will not do tax returns for anyone other than very close family - that do not pay them. My husband is one of them.
Yes, I don't have any tax experience, I took tax courses at university but that was 20 years ago. I'm looking into a possible career change and I don't need a full time job to sustain my living, so a seasonal tax preparer comes into mind where I can work full/part time a few months in the year. I'm good with numbers and computer. H&R Block and Liberty Tax seems to be the only source I can find that offers personal tax preparer training type course. You know how some colleges offer bookkeeper/clerk courses out there? Wondering what's the equivalent for a tax preparer, or, all tax preparers are Bachelor fresh graduates?
Deal Guru
Oct 13, 2009
13719 posts
3063 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
I've done tax returns for friends as a favour. Never again. People want every single deduction in the book and you need to know inside out exactly what they can and cannot claim. And if you step over the line, you're on the hook.

Not worth the aggravation at all!
Firebolt wrote:
Feb 12th, 2016 1:09 pm
give lots of head for sick knee fadez, give lots of lap dances for ca$h wallet fades. Always pop that leg when kissing for dope honey combs, knee lots of mans in the crotch for killer whiskers, low ride like an og for them stacks. And traintracks? Only achievable by a legend in the denim game