Off Topic

Second Brand new Boeing 737 Max crashes in 6 months

[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2015
1589 posts
259 upvotes

Second Brand new Boeing 737 Max crashes in 6 months

Aviation is safe but when shit happens you are toast.
Whats wrong with these new planes?
Its been 8 months, any news from Indonesia crash?
Last edited by CocoJambo on Mar 11th, 2019 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
603 replies
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2015
1589 posts
259 upvotes
https://www-m.cnn.com/2019/03/10/africa ... cnn.com%2F

Damn just learnt that there an automated system that will pull aircrafts nose down when data suggests a stall.
Way too much automation imo

more stupidy explained here...cost cutting and competitive pressure that forced not to inroduce new training to pilots.
These people have guts to play with life of paying pessangers
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/03/worl ... ilots.html

I will recommend rfd forum memers to consider cancelling any 737Max trips. They will continue to say its safe but your life is in your hands...
Last edited by CocoJambo on Mar 10th, 2019 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Guru
Feb 23, 2008
10935 posts
819 upvotes
Brampton
Can someone confirm if Boeing outsourced the manufacturing of the airplane parts to the lowest bidder?
Lets Go Blue Jays!!!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2015
1589 posts
259 upvotes
cheapmeister wrote:
Mar 10th, 2019 1:20 pm
Can someone confirm if Boeing outsourced the manufacturing of the airplane parts to the lowest bidder?
I don’t think thats an issue.
They redesigned the 737 to 737 Max and put newer heavier but more fuel effiecient engines on 1960s frame.
They did it and convinced the FDA that no pilot retrining is required. There was a software feature which automatically engages when it receives data from engines and thinks that plane is stalling. It puts planes nose down to avoid stall.
They are saying, The Lion airline pilots were struggling to control this auto feature because it was putting nose down because of faulty data. Plane changed crazy altitudes.
Boeing sent emergency bulletin to Airlines that Pilots be trained on this feature and should disengage it. Now we all know how crazy airlines sometime reacts to these bulletins. Not sure these pilits weere trained on the crazy feature...
Boeing should ground the fleet...
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2017
1818 posts
651 upvotes
Incredibly heartbreaking news to read this morning. Condolences to all the family and friends who lost their loved ones today.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2013
2412 posts
672 upvotes
Woodbridge
The Lion Air issue had something to do with a faulty angle of attack sensor that made the computer think the airplane was stalling. It pitched the nose down to correct the stall. The pilots pitched up to correct the dive. This back and forth between pilots and the computer continued until the plane crashed. This system is new on the 737 MAX and apparently, the pilots didn't know that the computer behaved this way. I think that the aftermath of that crash required all 737 MAX pilots to be specifically briefed on the automated system so that they know what's happening. Why a sensor failed so shortly into the planes career is one question. Why pilots weren't briefed on this system is another. Too early to tell if the Ethiopia crash has anything to do with the same sensors or systems.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
33286 posts
7397 upvotes
Ottawa
tomtomtom wrote:
Mar 10th, 2019 12:55 pm
Before jumping to the conclusion, let's just wait for the FDR analytics get published first.
What...and stop all the guessing? LOL
I don't argue....I educate. Anonymous Best line I have heard in a very long time LOL
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
33286 posts
7397 upvotes
Ottawa
cheapmeister wrote:
Mar 10th, 2019 1:20 pm
Boeing aircraft components are manufactured all over the world (as a result of governmental requirements to have "kickbacks" in their countries).
So, are they made by lowest bidder? well, they certainly are not going to buy from just anyone. All aircraft parts manufacturers have to meet compliance certification before they can sell parts to airlines and aircraft manufacturers.
Are parts makers competitive? Of course.
I don't argue....I educate. Anonymous Best line I have heard in a very long time LOL
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2002
7733 posts
741 upvotes
Vancouver
This plane should be avoided due to its incredibly stupid economy bathroom set up. At least the way air Canada configures them
Did I post something that interests you? Feel free to PM further questions.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 1, 2013
5477 posts
2050 upvotes
redflagdeals.com
There's an American saying that goes:

"If it ain't Boeing, I ain't goin'. "

Personally, if it is a 737-MAX8, I ain't goin'. At least until they figure wth is going on. That being said, it is almost impossible to avoid as there are thousands of orders for this aircraft. Especially in Canada with WestJet, Air Canada, and Sunwing all operating 737 MAX jets with more on order.
A wise RFD'er once said, "Buy now, think later."
I like wearing tinfoil hats.

¯\_(-.-)_/¯

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ "Behold!"
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2007
1975 posts
318 upvotes
Red Deer
Bloomberg is reporting that China has now grounded all 737MAX aircraft, and rumours that GOL (Brazil) is about to ground their fleet.
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2014
2715 posts
4182 upvotes
Laval
rumors are that China has grounded the fleet of 60+ of the 737 Max, In addition, the industry has revealed that the company has also received a notice from the Civil Aviation Administration, requiring the domestic aviation department to suspend the operation of 737MAX

Link is in Chinese

https://life.caijing.com.cn/20190311/4568915.shtml
remember to give credit to the O.P if your going to repost it on reddit > bapcsalescanada
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2018
1480 posts
1137 upvotes
I'm sure some have heard about the latest 737 max crash with a high number of canadian casualties

This is a very new aircraft with some alarming accidents lately, I think air travel is very safe and do a lot of it but I think I will take the aircraft into consideration until more information on the crashes are figured out

For those who aren't fazed by it, how many crashes would it take for you to reconsider it? New planes have issues to work out (parts from A380 engines falling, well documented 787 engine issues and fires) but the fatalities and seriousness of the 737 max incidents is a bit of an eye opener

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-47519467
It was the second crash in five months involving a 737 Max 8, the newest version of the plane.

Comparisons are being drawn with a Lion Air accident last October where the plane lost altitude soon after takeoff.

However, experts warn it is too early to say what caused the Ethiopian Airlines disaster.

Ethiopian Airlines says the plane, flight ET302, crashed at 08:44 local time (05:44 GMT), just six minutes after it left Addis Ababa. The aircraft, bound for Nairobi, came down near the town of Bishoftu, 60km (37 miles) south-east of the capital.

The pilot had reported difficulties and had asked to return to Addis Ababa, the airline said.

"At this stage, we cannot rule out anything," Ethiopian Airlines CEO Tewolde Gebremariam told reporters at Bole International Airport in the capital.

Passengers from more than 30 countries were on board the flight, including 32 Kenyans, 18 Canadians, and seven Britons.

At least 19 victims were affiliated with the United Nations, according a UN official.

Slovak MP Anton Hrnko also confirmed via Facebook that his wife and two children were on the plane.

In response to the accident, Ethiopia has declared Monday a national day of mourning.

What do we know about the plane?
The 737 Max-8 aircraft is relatively new to the skies, having only been in commercial use since 2017.

The plane that crashed was among six of 30 that Ethiopian Airlines had ordered as part of its expansion. It underwent a "rigorous first check maintenance" on 4 February, the airline tweeted.