• Last Updated:
  • Aug 20th, 2017 12:08 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2007
1100 posts
27 upvotes

Second Career Program - Feedback .

I know what the the Second Career Program is & what you need to be qualified for it. ( Laid off , EI recepient etc )

http://www.edu.gov.on.ca/eng/tcu/secondcareer/

But just because you are qualified for that program ,that does not necessarily mean you will receive funding for your education & living expenses of upto $ 28 K from the gov.

I was wondering if anyone here is actually en-rolled in this program & has actually receieved gov funding . If so how did you go about receiving the funding , how long did it take & what was the exact procedure used to secure the funding ?

I was told there is lot of bureaucracy & red-tape involved . They just give you the run around & you move from one employment counsellor or employment assessment centre to another without actually receiving any funding in the end ? ( Even if you qualify ) .

So you just waste 4-5 months of your life & in the end they tell you that you won't receive any funding for the course or college you have selected although it is a course or college from the list which is eligible for funding.

Is that true ?

All this program has done is create jobs for some well paid private contractors,schools & gov officials who are administering this program . :mad:

They just put you in some BS job workshops like how to make a resume , how to give an interview etc without actually funding your training so that you can get a new job or career. In the end they tell you to take OSAP or LOC & fund the education yourself.
2853 replies
Deal Fanatic
Oct 17, 2006
5309 posts
274 upvotes
I don't have any experience with this program but a lady on the trains I take regularly is currently doing her diploma in career counselling through the second career program. I never asked her how long the process take but all her books, tuitions and transit pass are paid by the government.

If you need more information, why don't you contact the second career department (usually advising office) of the college you're interested in attending?

Job searching techniques workshops are not BS, they could be really helpful with a good facilitator
;)
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2007
2469 posts
35 upvotes
Toronto
Another poster posted something about this a few weeks back, was that you?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2007
1100 posts
27 upvotes
molala wrote:
Mar 28th, 2009 7:01 pm
I don't have any experience with this program but a lady on the trains I take regularly is currently doing her diploma in career counselling through the second career program. I never asked her how long the process take but all her books, tuitions and transit pass are paid by the government.

If you need more information, why don't you contact the second career department (usually advising office) of the college you're interested in attending?

Job searching techniques workshops are not BS, they could be really helpful with a good facilitator
Cool good to know she actually received the funding .
Mar 4, 2009
270 posts
3 upvotes
Toronto - GTA
tjthemanto wrote:
Mar 28th, 2009 6:36 pm
I know what the the Second Career Program is & what you need to be qualified for it. ( Laid off , EI recepient etc )

http://www.edu.gov.on.ca/eng/tcu/secondcareer/

But just because you are qualified for that program ,that does not necessarily mean you will receive funding for your education & living expenses of upto $ 28 K from the gov.

I was wondering if anyone here is actually en-rolled in this program & has actually receieved gov funding . If so how did you go about receiving the funding , how long did it take & what was the exact procedure used to secure the funding ?

I was told there is lot of bureaucracy & red-tape involved . They just give you the run around & you move from one employment counsellor or employment assessment centre to another without actually receiving any funding in the end ? ( Even if you qualify ) .

So you just waste 4-5 months of your life & in the end they tell you that you won't receive any funding for the course or college you have selected although it is a course or college from the list which is eligible for funding.

Is that true ?

All this program has done is create jobs for some well paid private contractors,schools & gov officials who are administering this program . :mad:

They just put you in some BS job workshops like how to make a resume , how to give an interview etc without actually funding your training so that you can get a new job or career. In the end they tell you to take OSAP or LOC & fund the education yourself.
Man, it is really hard to qualify. I am doing it right now. Basically they want people that are really poor. Like me.

I got laid off and I really need to improve my marketable skills, like seriously. Everything that I took previously has gone to sht. I can't get a job that pays decent etc etc. So I really need to go back to school and look to improve on my skills, technical skills that is. So , hmmm.... I am doing the second stage of the process. I have to apply for the college that I want, get in and then submitt my application. I have called a bunch of people already asking about advice, mainly companies in the field.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2007
1100 posts
27 upvotes
needinformation wrote:
Mar 29th, 2009 12:22 am
Man, it is really hard to qualify. I am doing it right now. Basically they want people that are really poor. Like me.

I got laid off and I really need to improve my marketable skills, like seriously. Everything that I took previously has gone to sht. I can't get a job that pays decent etc etc. So I really need to go back to school and look to improve on my skills, technical skills that is. So , hmmm.... I am doing the second stage of the process. I have to apply for the college that I want, get in and then submitt my application. I have called a bunch of people already asking about advice, mainly companies in the field.
You are in the second stage ? ?

What was the first stage ?..How many stages are there before you know whether you will get the funding or not ?

Is there a time frame during which they tell you whether you are approved or not for the funding..say 2 months or 4 months or 6 months etc

Say you apply for the college & course ( from the list they give you ) & you actually get admission for the program..does the government pay for it immediately ?

And what happens if they don't pay after you get the admission do you end up paying from your own pocket or something ? :mad:
Mar 4, 2009
270 posts
3 upvotes
Toronto - GTA
tjthemanto wrote:
Mar 29th, 2009 8:25 pm

What was the first stage ?..How many stages are there before you know whether you will get the funding or not ?

Is there a time frame during which they tell you whether you are approved or not for the funding..say 2 months or 4 months or 6 months etc

Say you apply for the college & course ( from the list they give you ) & you actually get admission for the program..does the government pay for it immediately ?

And what happens if they don't pay after you get the admission do you end up paying from your own pocket or something ? :mad:
wow, a lot of questions I think there are 3 or 4 stages...hopefully 3.

the process takes about 2 to 3 months in total
they will let you know whether or not you apply and if you do not qualify for funding you can get other programs as well.

with regards to the funding...well it depends on your situation. I really need upgrading... I have never ever found or been hired or even considered or allowed to work in my field... it is dauntingly afraid... so I might as well learn a trade screw that.

anyways... if you have any further questions let me know.
Mar 4, 2009
270 posts
3 upvotes
Toronto - GTA
:mad:
tjthemanto wrote:
Mar 29th, 2009 8:25 pm

:mad: <<<< this is my for most of my life, I have been screwed over so much but anyways. All that I can do is just keep on going and keep positive. Basically, now re-reading your question I have a few new things to add.

The first part is just basically info session, the second is "you" gathering information and then just basically filling out a very lenghty application and then some more information. It is kind of complicated to get into detaisl right now. Then you hand in the information and the application and then you wait on the responce. Pretty much the faster you apply the faster you get the responce, it takes about 2 or 3 months. Anyways, if you do qualify for everything and get funding then you will be able to be covered for tuition and basic living expenses based on need.

regards
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2007
1100 posts
27 upvotes
needinformation wrote:
Mar 30th, 2009 12:14 am
wow, a lot of questions I think there are 3 or 4 stages...hopefully 3.

the process takes about 2 to 3 months in total
they will let you know whether or not you apply and if you do not qualify for funding you can get other programs as well.

with regards to the funding...well it depends on your situation. I really need upgrading... I have never ever found or been hired or even considered or allowed to work in my field... it is dauntingly afraid... so I might as well learn a trade screw that.

anyways... if you have any further questions let me know.
Thanks for the info .

Hope you get the whole funding of $ 28 K over a period of 2 yrs for education & living expenses :)

What program are you taking , college & duration of the course ?
Mar 4, 2009
270 posts
3 upvotes
Toronto - GTA
tjthemanto wrote:
Mar 30th, 2009 12:26 pm
Thanks for the info .

Hope you get the whole funding of $ 28 K over a period of 2 yrs for education & living expenses :)

What program are you taking , college & duration of the course ?
I am trying to get into the tool and die program man....I really need to upgrade my technical skills.
My skills with regards to what I took are totally obsolete and thus I need to uprade, I do believe. Furthermore, I think the program really does fit my needs and I hope there will be high demand for this type of peope in the future. According my reserach there has been recent a recent steady need for people with this type of trade skills. I hope I really luck out..
Oct 4, 2006
582 posts
22 upvotes
This is my process and general time line so far, I made a topic like this 6 months back.

Oct. 2008 - Had appointment with employment counsoller and filled out basic application and employment status at the time. Needed to wait and see if I was able to get funding then they called me back for another appointment in November.

Nov. 2008 - I was told I had to go for some career training assessment program for 3 weeks in december - 8:00-4:00 everyday for 3 weeks.

Dec. 2008 - Did 3 weeks program.

Jan. 2009 - Given Application for Second career and a bunch of information that I had to gather, wasted a good 5 weeks because of the crap.

Feb. 2009 - Handed in 1 to 2 inches thick of said papers/information I gathered, a week later I was told that they can't hand in the application without me getting an acceptance letter from the school. Applied to school (all fees you pay for) did testing and waited.

March 2009 - Got accepted to school and handed in information, now I am going through more hassle that I don't want to get into because I am to pissed off.
Mar 30, 2009
1 posts
Mississauga, ON
I have just started the application to (hopefully) receive funding for the Second Career strategy. I had my initial meeting with the employment counsellor yesterday, although she mentioned I would be a good candidate for the program, she informed me I would need to attend a 3 week full time Job Club (Where they will train me on my resume and interview skills) before she was able to give me the application. My question is... Is this 3 week job club mandatory? And if so, wouldn't it be more beneficial to complete it after I have attained the training I require?

I'm looking to get some insight from other second career applicants.

P.S Just to give a little more info about my situation...I entered a job in manufacturing directly out of highschool, the company went under in Nov 08. I am looking to enter into a Practical Nursing program.
Mar 31, 2009
162 posts
3 upvotes
Mississauga
I'm currently en-rolled in this so called "program" and what a debacle it has become. I have never had such an extreme feeling of rung through the ringer as I do right now.
I could go on all day about my concerns and frustrations with this "program".
I realize you shouldn't get something from nothing but at the same time some of the "hoops" they have you jump through seem extremely redundant.
Off to another assessment even though the first assessments I completed very clearly summarized the employment avenue I went into the office with from the get-go.
Even my assessment councillor (The Centre) is baffled why I am being steered to another agency for another assessment.
Not to mention every appointment is a month or so apart.
Seems to me as if a lot of private companies are the real beneficiaries of this provincial (tax-payer) monies.
I have yet to see any positive feedback from anyone that has gone through this gauntlet of referrals and assessments. Seems to be one large merry-go-round. I hope the recessions hardest hit applicants are not wasting their time or money. Sort of like dangling the apple in front of the horses mouth.
A little food for thought....
http://www.torontosun.com/news/canada/2 ... 6-sun.html
http://secondcareers.wordpress.com/2009 ... education/
Nov 4, 2008
345 posts
25 upvotes
supsx wrote:
Mar 31st, 2009 3:02 pm
This is my process and general time line so far, I made a topic like this 6 months back.

Oct. 2008 - Had appointment with employment counsoller and filled out basic application and employment status at the time. Needed to wait and see if I was able to get funding then they called me back for another appointment in November.

Nov. 2008 - I was told I had to go for some career training assessment program for 3 weeks in december - 8:00-4:00 everyday for 3 weeks.

Dec. 2008 - Did 3 weeks program.

Jan. 2009 - Given Application for Second career and a bunch of information that I had to gather, wasted a good 5 weeks because of the crap.

Feb. 2009 - Handed in 1 to 2 inches thick of said papers/information I gathered, a week later I was told that they can't hand in the application without me getting an acceptance letter from the school. Applied to school (all fees you pay for) did testing and waited.

March 2009 - Got accepted to school and handed in information, now I am going through more hassle that I don't want to get into because I am to pissed off.
Let me know how it goes for you since I'm on the same boat. I got my acceptance letter from the school and going to meet up with my advisor to finally pass my application for second career after doing all the paperwork and whatever they needed for almost close to 4 months. Given that the waiting time for the "decision" to be finalized is 2 weeks, so it'll probably be closer to 5 months.
Mar 31, 2009
162 posts
3 upvotes
Mississauga
I've also received an acceptance letter for a course that commences on May 25th.

April 27th is my next appointment and I have yet to fill out the application papers.

Does anyone know how long after papers have been submitted you get a response ????

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)