Second Career Program - Feedback .

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 9th, 2017 9:36 pm
Aug 2, 2012
513 posts
192 upvotes
rachel1496 wrote:
Jul 7th, 2016 9:39 pm
We're trying to figure out if applying for SC is right and I have a few questions. I'd love any help or experience anyone has with this.

1) The job search. DH was just laid off 4 weeks ago. If we took 26 weeks he would almost certainly find a job of some kind but it would be part time or peak time so no guarantee of hours and he would have to start at minimum wage. The majority of his experience is management but its rare to get hired outright as a manager in his industry, you have to start at the bottom and move up from there. It's also an incredibly unstable industry (restaurant) and he's been laid off from two restaurants in the last 8 years so there's a good chance if he did get something we would find ourselves back in this position in a few years. The other problem is that he's currently seeing a knee surgeon for a degenerative condition and the doctor has recommended that if we want to avoid surgery he needs to get something that doesn't require standing all day. Would any of that be taken into consideration?

2) Time in the industry. After the last layoff his EI was running out so out of desperation to get something he took a part time overnight maintenance job at Walmart. That is the job he was just laid off from. If they count years in the retail field he's under 3, if they count restaurants he has well over 15. Would the WM job be considered an interim job or is that considered to be his last job?
There are several complicating factors here, and he really should see an employment counsellor to explore all the options. The counsellor's job is to assess the situation, take all of the factors into account, and offer options to help him to reach the the best decision.

Questions I would be asking:

1: He was just laid off from Walmart, but was he also laid off from the job before that? If so, I would be taking that as the layoff job. If he worked under 20 hours per week at Walmart, that job can be ignored. In any case, unless he was a maintenance supervisor, it's a NOC D position and so in his case it's an interim job, so again can be ignored. If he was laid off from the earlier position, then his points for duration of unemployment and job-search are counted from the date of the previous layoff, which would be better for him.

2: His time in the same occupation relates to the occupation in which he has spent most time. But this relates to occupations, not industries. What role did he have in restaurants and retail? If he was a restaurant manager for most of his career, then that's the period that is counted, and if it's 7 years or more he gets 3 points.

3: However, that work experience also counts against him in the final category, as a restaurant manager is a NOC A position, so he would have 0 points in that category.

It's still not impossible to get 16 points - that would depend on what his highest level of education is and/or whether his desired occupation is one that requires a licence. Even if he ends up on 14 or 15 points, though, if I were the counsellor I could be looking at submitting the application as an exception given the medical circumstance you cite - he needs to change career for that reason, apart from prevailing labour market conditions in his industry. He'd need medical evidence both for the condition and to demonstrate that he would be fit to work in whatever his chosen occupation is.

But these are just factors related to eligibility and suitability; he'd also have to examine financial feasibility (Second Career financial support is not generous by any means). And, of course, he'd need to research the labour market for his chosen occupation - is he any more likely to find work in that field?

Look for an Employment Ontario agency in your area and book an appointment with an employment counsellor. It commits him to nothing, but will answer a lot of questions.

Hope this helps.
Aug 26, 2015
9 posts
Toronto, ON
Hi EmpCouns,
I just applied for second career for September session in a community college. Expecting that I will get the result at the last moment. If my file is denied then I will go for OSAP. So my question is can I apply for OSAP now? So that if my second SC application is denied then instently I can go for OSAP. If I apply for OSAP then will it creat any problem for second career application?
Thanks
Aug 2, 2012
513 posts
192 upvotes
zinnia wrote:
Jul 16th, 2016 7:52 pm
Hi EmpCouns,
I just applied for second career for September session in a community college. Expecting that I will get the result at the last moment. If my file is denied then I will go for OSAP. So my question is can I apply for OSAP now? So that if my second SC application is denied then instently I can go for OSAP. If I apply for OSAP then will it creat any problem for second career application?
Thanks
No, you can apply for OSAP while you wait for the determination on your application. Good luck!
Jul 13, 2016
1 posts
Hi! I read through a lot of this thread, and couldn't find anything really related to my question.
I was laid off from my job( Full time, high payed NOC D) in the end of September 2015. I then went on ei until April 2016.
I have applied and been accepted to my program and am working on my second career application.
Since I've been laid off, I took on an interm job as a cashier and am making less than I was at my initial laid off job. Since I wasn't making enough to cover my bills, I took on a second interm job also as a cashier making minimum wage. I was working about 55 hours between the two job and it was too much to handle so I talked to my first interm job manager and he upped my hours to 35+ a week and I quit the second interm job (after a month of working there)
Does this affect my eligibility for the program?
Jul 18, 2016
1 posts
Hi,after waiting 4 mnth I finally got the call that I was approved for second career I going to sign the agreement next wk. How long does the funds take to deposit and is it spread over two years. I ask because I don't want any surprises. I am so nervous to go sign I keep thinking it's too good to be true.any insight is preferable
Aug 2, 2012
513 posts
192 upvotes
LandonB252114 wrote:
Jul 19th, 2016 9:03 am
Hi! I read through a lot of this thread, and couldn't find anything really related to my question.
I was laid off from my job( Full time, high payed NOC D) in the end of September 2015. I then went on ei until April 2016.
I have applied and been accepted to my program and am working on my second career application.
Since I've been laid off, I took on an interm job as a cashier and am making less than I was at my initial laid off job. Since I wasn't making enough to cover my bills, I took on a second interm job also as a cashier making minimum wage. I was working about 55 hours between the two job and it was too much to handle so I talked to my first interm job manager and he upped my hours to 35+ a week and I quit the second interm job (after a month of working there)
Does this affect my eligibility for the program?
Working in an interim job doesn't affect your Second Career eligibility. So quitting one of the jobs - especially since you got increased hours at the other - would have no impact. Second Career's definition of 'unemployed' includes working under 20 hours a week on average, or working in an interim job.

Make sure you keep your counsellor updated on your situation, including the jobs you got and your current employment status (first and most important: so that your counsellor can give you appropriate advice, and second: our agencies have very ambitious targets to meet for client outcomes, so any client gaining employment, even if it's a survival or part-time job, helps us towards those targets).
Aug 2, 2012
513 posts
192 upvotes
Deedeex45 wrote:
Jul 19th, 2016 8:31 pm
Hi,after waiting 4 mnth I finally got the call that I was approved for second career I going to sign the agreement next wk. How long does the funds take to deposit and is it spread over two years. I ask because I don't want any surprises. I am so nervous to go sign I keep thinking it's too good to be true.any insight is preferable
Sorry this reply is late - for some reason your question wasn't displaying before.

If your program is two years long, then typically your tuition will be paid term by term - and in some regions, where agreements are in place, it's transferred directly to the training institution. Money for books will come to you as it's due. Basic living allowance will come biweekly, as will money for transportation if that applies.
Oct 7, 2015
25 posts
2 upvotes
Stittsville, ON
Hi EmpCouns,

I received a call from an Employment & Training Consultant this morning, but I missed it. He told me to call back before 3:00 p.m., but I wasn't home until 3:30!
I am really worried and don't know what to do now.
Unfortunately, I am going to Toronto until next Thursday, August 11th. Everything was set up, because my Counselor told me not to wait for them to call me before the middle of August! It's hard for me to change the plan.
Would you mind giving me some advice for the correct things I should do now?
Thank you so much and I look forward to hearing from you.
Aug 2, 2012
513 posts
192 upvotes
Backtoschool wrote:
Aug 5th, 2016 5:04 pm
Hi EmpCouns,

I received a call from an Employment & Training Consultant this morning, but I missed it. He told me to call back before 3:00 p.m., but I wasn't home until 3:30!
I am really worried and don't know what to do now.
Unfortunately, I am going to Toronto until next Thursday, August 11th. Everything was set up, because my Counselor told me not to wait for them to call me before the middle of August! It's hard for me to change the plan.
Would you mind giving me some advice for the correct things I should do now?
Thank you so much and I look forward to hearing from you.
Hi there,

First of all, don't worry! They will try to get hold of you again. Did you provide your home phone or a cellphone? If it's your home phone and you're not able to check messages or call back while you're away, you can email your counsellor. Let your counsellor know what happened and that you'll be away - and please give her/him the name of the ETC, because we wouldn't know which of the local ETCs contacted you - and your counsellor can contact the Ministry to explain that you're away for the week. The call is most likely to have been to ask you to come in and sign your contract, and that can wait until you're back home.

Even if you can't contact your counsellor, it's not a problem - in my experience, if ETCs can't get hold of the client after a couple of tries, they let us know and ask if we can help. One way or another, they'll get hold of you!

I can understand your counsellor thinking you wouldn't hear anything for a couple of weeks yet - this is the busiest time of year, and our local Ministry office has told us to allow 3 weeks for processing. Yet I know that some applications can have a very quick turnaround time. It all depends on what comes in when and what else the ETCs are working on.
Oct 7, 2015
25 posts
2 upvotes
Stittsville, ON
Hi EmpCouns,

Thank you for the quick responses, not only for this time but also for my previous concerns.

Unluckily, my counsellor will not be in her office until next Tuesday, so I'm afraid that she will not receive my emails and cannot call the Ministry to explain my situation before then. Do you think it will be a good idea to call the ETC back on Monday? If I call the same extension number left in my voice mail, will I reach the same ETC who called me today? Or should I wait for the ETC to email me back (since in my application, I chose email as the preferred method of communication)?

Thanks again, EmpCouns.
Aug 2, 2012
513 posts
192 upvotes
Backtoschool wrote:
Aug 5th, 2016 7:29 pm
Hi EmpCouns,

Thank you for the quick responses, not only for this time but also for my previous concerns.

Unluckily, my counsellor will not be in her office until next Tuesday, so I'm afraid that she will not receive my emails and cannot call the Ministry to explain my situation before then. Do you think it will be a good idea to call the ETC back on Monday? If I call the same extension number left in my voice mail, will I reach the same ETC who called me today? Or should I wait for the ETC to email me back (since in my application, I chose email as the preferred method of communication)?

Thanks again, EmpCouns.
If you can call on Monday, then do. Yes, that phone number should go directly to that ETC's extension, and they all have personalised voicemail, so you can leave a message if he isn't at his desk. It really isn't a huge deal that you missed the call today - it's not as if you'll miss your chance if they can't get hold of you for a few days.

Just explain - in person or in a voicemail - that you're away for a few days and that you'll call back once you're home.

They do prefer to call rather than email regarding contract signing so that they know you got the information and they can confirm when you'll be able to come in.
Oct 7, 2015
25 posts
2 upvotes
Stittsville, ON
Hi EmpCouns,

I will call the ETC on Monday. I feel a lot more reassured now. Thank you so much for your experienced advice.
Aug 3, 2016
4 posts
Hello,

This is my second attemp to post here. the first one said it needs approval from moderator but never came. Not sure why.

Okay, I'm trying to figure out my chances to get approved for second career program.
I arrived in Canada Feb 2012 as a live in caregiver and my work contract finished on March 2016. Got married on March 2015. Got my permanent residence status on Sept 2015. Took maternity leave on Oct 2015 and gave birth on Nov 2015. Maternity leave will be finish on September 2016 (next month) and with high day care cost, if I go back to work as a nanny (with basic salary for $11.25/hr) I don't think I can afford it. A reason I would like to further my study. Currently (based on 2015 tax) our household income is <45 k per year. But next year tax file (based on 2016 income) our household income would be between 25k - 30k per year. So.... what is my chances if I apply end of my maternity leave? Should I wait until next year? I live close by from Warden Station, Scarborough, where should I go to apply? Is it okay to book an appointment now and bring a baby during interview, since I don't have family and husband will be at work. Thanks for any responses.
Aug 2, 2012
513 posts
192 upvotes
maniez106 wrote:
Aug 7th, 2016 10:46 pm
Hello,

This is my second attemp to post here. the first one said it needs approval from moderator but never came. Not sure why.

Okay, I'm trying to figure out my chances to get approved for second career program.
I arrived in Canada Feb 2012 as a live in caregiver and my work contract finished on March 2016. Got married on March 2015. Got my permanent residence status on Sept 2015. Took maternity leave on Oct 2015 and gave birth on Nov 2015. Maternity leave will be finish on September 2016 (next month) and with high day care cost, if I go back to work as a nanny (with basic salary for $11.25/hr) I don't think I can afford it. A reason I would like to further my study. Currently (based on 2015 tax) our household income is <45 k per year. But next year tax file (based on 2016 income) our household income would be between 25k - 30k per year. So.... what is my chances if I apply end of my maternity leave? Should I wait until next year? I live close by from Warden Station, Scarborough, where should I go to apply? Is it okay to book an appointment now and bring a baby during interview, since I don't have family and husband will be at work. Thanks for any responses.
You're not automatically eligible at the end of your maternity leave. You would need to take the decision not to return to work at the end of your EI maternity benefits, stay at home with your child, and at a later date seek to re-enter the workforce.

BUT if your contract ended in March (while you were on leave) and you have not worked since, you could apply on the basis of being laid off. With a layoff, you could apply now.

Then you have to qualify based on scoring 16 points for suitability: how long you have been unemployed and job-searching since starting to look for work again; what your highest level of education is; how long you've been working in your field in Canada (I count 4 years; 2 points for that); what your occupational goal is and whether it requires a licence; the skill level of your work history in Canada (2 points for that).

So you would most likely have to wait until next year to start enquiring about Second Career. As for bringing your baby to a meeting, it's not ideal, of course, but at my agency we never say no if the client has no alternative. But do consider whether you'd be able to concentrate on the conversation if your baby is upset or needs attention.

Here are the agencies where you could go in your area:
http://services.findhelp.ca/eo/en/quick ... owMap=true
Aug 3, 2016
4 posts
Thank you for your quick response.
If I try to apply now and get rejected, can I apply again next year? Another thing is the program I am intended to take only have one time enrollment a year, on September. So, if I can't go this coming September, that means I have to wait until next year. Can I just apply program and when my program opens for enrollment, then ask for a transfer. Can it be done?
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel