• Last Updated:
  • Mar 20th, 2017 8:40 am
Aug 2, 2012
510 posts
192 upvotes
maniez106 wrote:
Aug 11th, 2016 5:45 am
Thank you for your quick response.
If I try to apply now and get rejected, can I apply again next year? Another thing is the program I am intended to take only have one time enrollment a year, on September. So, if I can't go this coming September, that means I have to wait until next year. Can I just apply program and when my program opens for enrollment, then ask for a transfer. Can it be done?
I think you may be too late for this September, assuming you're talking about the beginning of the month. You have to be determined eligible and suitable for Second Career. Then you have to apply to your program and get a letter of acceptance. And you have to complete labour market and school research, and present a full job-search record - how many months of job-search are required depends on how many points you need for this criterion. And then the application package has to be finished, and the Ministry of Advanced Education and Skills Development has to review and approve it. As you can imagine, all this takes time.

I don't understand what you mean by asking for a transfer. A transfer to what?

In case this is what you mean, if you start your program before you're approved for Second Career funding, you will automatically be denied. You have to wait until you're approved to begin your program.
Aug 14, 2016
1 posts
Hello
I filled out application and everything
Will you only receive phone call if approved or fpr both approved and denied
Thank you
Aug 2, 2012
510 posts
192 upvotes
PaigeS408377 wrote:
Aug 15th, 2016 9:17 pm
Hello
I filled out application and everything
Will you only receive phone call if approved or fpr both approved and denied
Thank you
Well, first, has your application been submitted to the Ministry?

If there are questions concerning your application, the Ministry will usually contact your counsellor. They will contact you to sign your contract if approved. When I had a client whose application was not approved because our request for an exception was denied, I was notified and the client received a letter.

Either way, you will certainly be told the outcome.
Aug 17, 2016
2 posts
Hi! Im new to the forum but its been very helpful for me everytime i have a question. I want to make sure that my paperworks have been submitted by my counsellor but she is currently on vacation and im worried that my paperworks were not submitted. All the people i know that are applyimg for second career has been approved. Is there anyway i can know if my papers are with MTCU?

Thank you so much
Aug 2, 2012
510 posts
192 upvotes
Corbe01 wrote:
Aug 18th, 2016 12:03 pm
Hi! Im new to the forum but its been very helpful for me everytime i have a question. I want to make sure that my paperworks have been submitted by my counsellor but she is currently on vacation and im worried that my paperworks were not submitted. All the people i know that are applyimg for second career has been approved. Is there anyway i can know if my papers are with MTCU?

Thank you so much
The easiest way is to call and ask to speak to someone else on the same team, and ask them to check. They can do a number of things: look up your electronic file to see if the counsellor recorded sending the application; look in your paper file to see if the original application is still there; contact the Ministry to see if your application has been received etc.
Aug 17, 2016
2 posts
EmpCouns wrote:
Aug 18th, 2016 9:56 pm
Corbe01 wrote:

Thank you so much
The easiest way is to call and ask to speak to someone else on the same team, and ask them to check. They can do a number of things: look up your electronic file to see if the counsellor recorded sending the application; look in your paper file to see if the original application is still there; contact the Ministry to see if your application has been received etc.
Thank you so much EmpCouns for your advise, i called the ministry and i confirmed that my application is with them, she asked for some docs and said that i should expect a call this week. I am hoping that i will get approved.
Aug 2, 2012
510 posts
192 upvotes
Corbe01 wrote:
Aug 23rd, 2016 9:39 pm
EmpCouns wrote:
Aug 18th, 2016 9:56 pm
Corbe01 wrote:

Thank you so much
Thank you so much EmpCouns for your advise, i called the ministry and i confirmed that my application is with them, she asked for some docs and said that i should expect a call this week. I am hoping that i will get approved.
I'm glad to hear that! Chances are that all is looking good - I think you'd have been told if there was a concern (they generally let us know as soon as they see an issue that might cause an application to be denied). Fingers crossed that the next call is to get you to come in and sign your contract.
Feb 16, 2009
4 posts
Mississauga
Hi EmpCouns, I am aware that the MTCU will cover school cost for part time studies under second career, I need to supply the ministry with occupations that are NOC B under Payroll Compliance Practitioner, since you are more involved with this program can you let me know of any occupations that will make that program fall under the NOC B.

Thanks in advance.
Aug 2, 2012
510 posts
192 upvotes
Ermaro wrote:
Aug 26th, 2016 12:31 pm
Hi EmpCouns, I am aware that the MTCU will cover school cost for part time studies under second career, I need to supply the ministry with occupations that are NOC B under Payroll Compliance Practitioner, since you are more involved with this program can you let me know of any occupations that will make that program fall under the NOC B.

Thanks in advance.
Occupations can be NOC B or C in order to qualify for Second Career. Have you actually looked at the NOC to find an occupation that involves payroll?

Take a look at this, which is a NOC C occupation: http://www5.hrsdc.gc.ca/NOC/English/NOC ... &val1=1432
Aug 27, 2016
1 posts
Hi, I'm new to this site and this is my first question.

I've been accepted to second career, with a start date of September, and my BLA for me and my daughter is 170/week. That's with a relatively low rent, as we live in a house with three adults. But I'm wondering, if we (or one of them) have to move at any point, if MTCU will consider raising my BLA to match my new rent?

And sorry, one more. I am supposed to receive my book/bus pass money on the 29th of Aug, will that take 3 weeks to get put into my account?

Thanks for your time.
Aug 2, 2012
510 posts
192 upvotes
johnnythegirl wrote:
Aug 28th, 2016 9:08 am
Hi, I'm new to this site and this is my first question.

I've been accepted to second career, with a start date of September, and my BLA for me and my daughter is 170/week. That's with a relatively low rent, as we live in a house with three adults. But I'm wondering, if we (or one of them) have to move at any point, if MTCU will consider raising my BLA to match my new rent?

And sorry, one more. I am supposed to receive my book/bus pass money on the 29th of Aug, will that take 3 weeks to get put into my account?

Thanks for your time.
Hi there and congratulations on being approved!

The short answer to your question concerning rent is yes - IF there is money available. The maximum available under Second Career (leaving aside disability supports and dependent care) is $28,000. Depending on the total value of your contract, there may or may not be additional funds to increase your BLA if needed. If that information isn't immediately obvious from your contract, then ask your counsellor, or look on the Summary of Financial Assistance document that went in as part of your application, assuming your counsellor gave you a copy of your application.

I understand that it usually takes around three weeks for funds to start flowing, so you may well find that these amounts could be delayed. Your ETC at the Ministry should be able to tell you.
Mar 12, 2006
443 posts
9 upvotes
Sorry if it's been asked already,

Back on EI again and is there anything like this for B.C?
Aug 2, 2012
510 posts
192 upvotes
Rifle wrote:
Aug 31st, 2016 1:52 am
Sorry if it's been asked already,

Back on EI again and is there anything like this for B.C?
You'll have to ask the BC employment ministry, or a job-search program/agency funded by the government; I only know about the Ontario program. You'll also need to check eligibility requirements if there is a program, since the old Skills Development program which was linked to EI no longer exists.
Dec 24, 2013
4 posts
I am currently in the Second Career program and I became very ill during the past winter semester. I continued to attend classes but as my illness became worse I ended up failing several courses. My Second Career councilor now says they will not pay for me to retake the courses, I have told her I cannot continue in school with out redoing the failed courses and I cannot pay myself to retake them.

Can you give me any suggestions ?
Aug 2, 2012
510 posts
192 upvotes
champwithin wrote:
Sep 5th, 2016 9:14 pm
I am currently in the Second Career program and I became very ill during the past winter semester. I continued to attend classes but as my illness became worse I ended up failing several courses. My Second Career councilor now says they will not pay for me to retake the courses, I have told her I cannot continue in school with out redoing the failed courses and I cannot pay myself to retake them.

Can you give me any suggestions ?
Can you get medical evidence that you were ill? Also, is there a counselling service at your training institution? (if there's a community college, there should be). If there is, make an appointment - you may be able to get a letter which helps you show that your illness affected your ability to study, and the counsellor will know how to do that. Second Career CAN pay for repeat courses if you can show that the reason you failed was related to disability or medical factors. You can always call your ETC at the Ministry direct to ask what you should do, if you feel that your Second Career counsellor isn't aware of this possibility.

Good luck!
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel