Careers

Second Career Program - Feedback .

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 17th, 2017 1:45 am
May 9, 2016
2 posts
Hi,
1. About textbook amount, can I buy used books from school bookstore (or from Amazon online)and submit the receipts of used books? Will the ministry accept that?
2. Does Supply amount include backpack or laptop?
Thanks.
Aug 2, 2012
531 posts
192 upvotes
simontang28 wrote:
Nov 7th, 2016 9:22 pm
Hi,
1. About textbook amount, can I buy used books from school bookstore (or from Amazon online)and submit the receipts of used books? Will the ministry accept that?
2. Does Supply amount include backpack or laptop?
Thanks.
As long as the books are those required for your program, you can buy them from anywhere you want - but Second Career will only pay what you paid for them, so you don't actually benefit by getting them used (and in many cases you can't buy the books anywhere else, because they may not be 'books', but printed or online materials).

The only supplies covered are those that are mandatory for your program. Anything optional is not covered. I've never seen a backpack included as a mandatory item. Laptops are not covered. Where a laptop is mandatory for a program (and I haven't seen this at all in the last couple of years, though it used to happen in some community college programs), Second Career will not cover it, but may cover the cost of mandatory software which you can get installed on your own computer. Talk to your counsellor to find out what may be available to you, depending on your program and your financial situation.
Aug 3, 2016
4 posts
OK, I am back to look for second career after my attempt to contact employers to work as their nannies on part time basis on the hours where my husband will be at home to look after the baby or making arrangement to bring baby while taking care of their children. This effort brought no result/success. So after my mat leave finished, I took interpreter course and got one assignment and that was it. My language is not in demand so it's difficult to get jobs.

For second career application, I am looking to enter civil engineering program at a private college (I have a diploma from back home in pulp and paper engineering) or Social Service Worker program at Centennial (I am currently volunteering at a community group program). How are my chances now? Do you mind to tell me what are the 16 points criteria? TIA
Aug 2, 2012
531 posts
192 upvotes
Looks like retraining may be a good option for you. However, I would recommend consulting an employment counsellor as soon as possible, since you have questions that really need to be answered in person during a full assessment. Your suitability points score is one of those. Points are allocated based on length of unemployment and job search, highest level of education, length of time in the same occupation, skill level of work experience (both of these in Canada or outside Canada while you were a Canadian citizen or PR), and one or two other factors.

Civil engineering would not be approved (due to the skill level), but a civil engineering technician or technologist (provided it can be completed in two years) would be fine. The SSW program is also eligible for funding.
maniez106 wrote:
Dec 1st, 2016 7:53 am
OK, I am back to look for second career after my attempt to contact employers to work as their nannies on part time basis on the hours where my husband will be at home to look after the baby or making arrangement to bring baby while taking care of their children. This effort brought no result/success. So after my mat leave finished, I took interpreter course and got one assignment and that was it. My language is not in demand so it's difficult to get jobs.

For second career application, I am looking to enter civil engineering program at a private college (I have a diploma from back home in pulp and paper engineering) or Social Service Worker program at Centennial (I am currently volunteering at a community group program). How are my chances now? Do you mind to tell me what are the 16 points criteria? TIA
Aug 3, 2016
4 posts
I got 18 points from the employment counselor and got acceptance letter from the school on the Civil Engineering design and technology to be civil engineering technician/technologist.

Employment counselor said I have to do two workshops, job works and career exploration. What are these for? Anyone have to do this? I didn't see people posting here about doing some workshops.

School counselor said, later I have to fill out application and listed expenses to estimate living allowance. So, even I got 18 points, is that mean I am not yet approved and still need to apply? As for living allowance, when should I provide the receipt? Also, what happen if I received subsidy for my expenses? For example, my hydro bill. I applied to Ontario energy subsidy program and got approved and starting next year, it will be credited from my bill monthly. but if the calculation is based on last year's it will be no subsidy therefore price will be higher. Same with my day care expenses. I got subsidy but it will start next year. I don't want any surprises that by the end of my short course and busy looking for job (because by then, I am sure we will be running out of money) because our little savings we have now will have to cover the tuition expenses, since government only cover $10000 and we have to cover the rest with a proof the money's there (I don't think they will allow credit card statement. Because I can use my credit card and I don't have any outstanding balance nor problem with my credit score.)
Aug 2, 2012
531 posts
192 upvotes
Getting 16+ points just means that you are qualified to be able to apply. The application process involves showing that you have researched to be certain that you've chosen the right field, that there are jobs available in that field, and that you have done everything you possibly can to try to find work. So, yes, sometimes people are required to attend workshops.

And, yes, you still have to apply - AFTER you've done the required research.

As for expenses, you'll need to talk to your counsellor about how all of that works.
maniez106 wrote:
Dec 21st, 2016 9:10 am
I got 18 points from the employment counselor and got acceptance letter from the school on the Civil Engineering design and technology to be civil engineering technician/technologist.

Employment counselor said I have to do two workshops, job works and career exploration. What are these for? Anyone have to do this? I didn't see people posting here about doing some workshops.

School counselor said, later I have to fill out application and listed expenses to estimate living allowance. So, even I got 18 points, is that mean I am not yet approved and still need to apply? As for living allowance, when should I provide the receipt? Also, what happen if I received subsidy for my expenses? For example, my hydro bill. I applied to Ontario energy subsidy program and got approved and starting next year, it will be credited from my bill monthly. but if the calculation is based on last year's it will be no subsidy therefore price will be higher. Same with my day care expenses. I got subsidy but it will start next year. I don't want any surprises that by the end of my short course and busy looking for job (because by then, I am sure we will be running out of money) because our little savings we have now will have to cover the tuition expenses, since government only cover $10000 and we have to cover the rest with a proof the money's there (I don't think they will allow credit card statement. Because I can use my credit card and I don't have any outstanding balance nor problem with my credit score.)
Jan 15, 2017
1 posts
Hello everyone, been reading over the forums for awhile now and was hoping someone might be able to clarify something about second careers for me. I am currently working on the application and monthly budget template.
My question is, if my total for tuition, books and living expenses are greater than the max of 28,000, would EI supplement the difference? the total over the 28,000 is 2,782 and unfortunately it isn't something I would be able to pay out of my own pocket as I'm currently in EI sick leave.

Thanks in advance for any help!!
Aug 2, 2012
531 posts
192 upvotes
StartingOver37 wrote:
Jan 16th, 2017 2:02 pm
Hello everyone, been reading over the forums for awhile now and was hoping someone might be able to clarify something about second careers for me. I am currently working on the application and monthly budget template.
My question is, if my total for tuition, books and living expenses are greater than the max of 28,000, would EI supplement the difference? the total over the 28,000 is 2,782 and unfortunately it isn't something I would be able to pay out of my own pocket as I'm currently in EI sick leave.

Thanks in advance for any help!!
No - EI provides nothing towards Second Career expenses. Talk with your counsellor about the options - for example, the maximum for tuition is $10,000, unless you're going to a community college. If tuition is above the maximum, you could borrow from OSAP. You could also try OSAP for additional living expenses if you need to take a cut in basic living allowance to stay below $28,000.

This is something you need to think about very carefully, as affordability is a crucial part of the application.
Aug 16, 2015
5 posts
Toronto, ON
Hello,

Can someone advise me what happens if I did not pass one subject from the last semester, will Second Career let me complete it at my cost or will they ask me to repay the entire funding.

Please & Thank you
Aug 2, 2012
531 posts
192 upvotes
Govcareer wrote:
Jan 18th, 2017 8:53 pm
Hello,

Can someone advise me what happens if I did not pass one subject from the last semester, will Second Career let me complete it at my cost or will they ask me to repay the entire funding.

Please & Thank you
They should allow you to repeat it at your own cost. There should not be a circumstance in which you'd have to repay all the funding. If for some reason SC decided to terminate your contract (and I've only seen this happen in the case of students abandoning their programs or failing to provide receipts despite repeated requests), the overpayment would only relate to money attributable to the period after the last day in school or the day the contract was terminated.

Just in case you failed due to illness or another medical factor: talk to your counsellor. If you have evidence that you were ill or had a disability, it's possible that Second Career could pay for the repeat, as long as there is funding left in your contract.
Aug 16, 2015
5 posts
Toronto, ON
Thank you for the update, I was really worried. I will go talk to the ministry tomorrow.
Thanks again
Sep 5, 2016
3 posts
I am currently receiving second careers funding and I am in my second semester of the program. I get basic living expenses covered but it is not even close to enough. When doing my calculations with my worker they calculated my regular bills but not my auto insurance or extra bills . Is this something that can be covered ?
Aug 2, 2012
531 posts
192 upvotes
alesiam34 wrote:
Jan 19th, 2017 11:39 am
I am currently receiving second careers funding and I am in my second semester of the program. I get basic living expenses covered but it is not even close to enough. When doing my calculations with my worker they calculated my regular bills but not my auto insurance or extra bills . Is this something that can be covered ?
No, it is not. Only the barest of essentials are included in the basic living allowance calculation, and the maximum allowable amounts are also very low (and have not been increased since 2008). If there is money left in your contract - ie if your entire contract value is under $28,000 other than dependant care, if applicable - you could talk to your counsellor about making a financial hardship request.

That said, your counsellor should have talked through all the financials with you before your application was submitted and asked whether you were certain that you could afford the program. This is a mandatory part of the application process and counsellors are required to show on their statement of support that the request is financially feasible for you and that you have a plan to manage your finances.
Sep 5, 2016
3 posts
The maximum total amount I am recieiving is way below 28,000 it's only 19,500 in total, and that includes my tuition for the year , my books and my basic living . My counsellor who submitted my application did not write the correct amounts in for my bills and even my hydro bills have increased . She also did not tell me any of those things you stated and I have been struggling to eat for an entire semester now, while going to school full-time. I don't want to lose this opportunity at receiving this ongoing funding and I'm not sure what to do at This point .
Sep 5, 2016
3 posts
Also what is a financial hardship request mean and what does that entail ?

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)