Second Career Program - Feedback .

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 29th, 2017 9:37 pm
Aug 2, 2012
544 posts
192 upvotes
alesiam34 wrote:
Jan 21st, 2017 3:53 pm
Also what is a financial hardship request mean and what does that entail ?
Replying to both your questions: if the correct amount for your bills wasn't included, you need to contact your counsellor ASAP to get that fixed. But you need to be aware that there is a maximum monthly amount allowable for the expenses that are included in Basic Living Allowance, as follows:
Rent/Mortgage: $1300
Food per person: $200
Phone: $40
Internet: $40
Heat/hydro: $200
Water: $50

A hardship request is an application to receive additional money on the basis that you can't afford the costs you're facing. It needs to be a very strong application: you'd have to show your bills and make clear that you can't afford to stay in school without help. Generally, you'd be expected to have applied for other sources of help and to have taken every possible step to reduce your hydro (eg do you avoid using appliances during the most expensive period? Have you tried to find a part-time job to help with the expenses?)

Contact your counsellor first thing tomorrow and explain that you need this help. Ask whether she has ever submitted a financial hardship request - if she hasn't, has another counsellor at the same agency?

Regarding the amounts entered on your application, is it possible that the correct amounts were reduced to fit within the maximum allowed? If the wrong amounts were entered and this wasn't the reason, you could ask your Ministry contact whether anything could be done, though I doubt that you could get any change backdated, because you would have signed your application form for Second Career, which means you are stating that the information in the application is accurate.

Good luck. I hope you can get some help.
Feb 1, 2017
3 posts
2 upvotes
Each employment service provider (agency) has their own hurdles to jump along the way. I am an employment counsellor and have assisted approx 50 ppl with their application and all have been accepted into the SC program.

Ive been "on the other side of the desk" at points in life and hate being yanked around and unnecessarily delayed. I let my clients set the pace. I have had applicatons take as long as 6 months and some only 6 weeks. It doesnt have to be a long, drawn out or complicated process.

If you are in Niagara, come see me at Port Cares and I will help you out. If you're not, im happy to answer any questions you may have.
Aug 2, 2012
544 posts
192 upvotes
Second Career has rules about the type of programs that can be funded. They must be:
- no more than two years in length
- lead to occupations at Skill Level B or C in the National Occupational Classification
- be offered by a school/college registered with the Ministry of Advanced Education and Skills Development
- lead to an occupation where there is labour market demand (and while this is mostly unspoken, be an occupation where you can find employment, not self-employment)

So: psychotherapist would not qualify, as it's a NOC A (professional) occupation and, unless you already have a lot of education in the field, would require a lot more than two years' study (required education shown here.

Hypnotherapy is a difficult area - I am finding conflicting opinions among reputable certification bodies about what status 'certified hypnotherapist' has, and I can't find programs that would meet Second Career eligibility rules.

I would suggest that you meet with an employment counsellor at an Employment Ontario agency and get some help and support with career exploration, and some more detailed guidance on what Second Career will and will not fund. There are many agencies across the GTA where you can get support. Use this website to find a service provider near you: http://feats.findhelp.ca/eng/search.html (as long as the result says Employment Ontario Service Provider, you're in the right place).

Good luck!
User984953 wrote:
Feb 2nd, 2017 9:27 pm
Hi
Hope you all are doing well.

I have a question about applying for second career in toronto. I've got laid off on June,2016, and injured on the job. Since that moment I wasn't able to find a job,...and I didn't have enough hours to collect EI. So right now after researching for job for couple of months without any result, I have decided to go back to school to upgrade my knowledge. I'm looking to become a Psychotherapist or a certified hypnotherapist, but I'm not sure if it's something I can apply through Second Career.
Could you please guide me and help me to progress.

Thank you.
Feb 1, 2017
3 posts
2 upvotes
When someone comes to me unsure of what direction to go, i encourage him to do a career assessment (www.sokanu.com). Then look at job postings in the area to see what is in demand that you are interested in doing. This will also give you an idea of the wage you can expect once you graduate.

Ontariocolleges.ca can help you find a program/school. Some schools will list Second Career approved programs (Niagara College does) which can help you even more.
Aug 2, 2012
544 posts
192 upvotes
I agree with Julia13: get some help with career exploration/take a vocational assessment. While of course labour market information (availability of jobs in the field, pay data etc) is important, working out what occupation is right for you is even more important. For example, what if I were to tell you that people who trained in trades did best? (This is not necessarily true; I'm using it as an example). You would say that you don't want to go back into trades. Everyone has different interests, different values, different work styles and different aptitudes. Everyone also has different preferences and needs related to working indoors/outdoors, at a desk or on the move, alone or with others, working shifts or normal business hours, working full-time or part-time and so on. These all impact your career decision-making, and no-one else can decide this for you.

So meet with an employment counsellor and ask for help in career decision-making. This is actually part of what employment counsellors help with, and you won't even get to start your Second Career application until you've researched and made your decision and then done labour market research.
User984953 wrote:
Feb 8th, 2017 6:52 pm
Hi Dear EmpCouns,

I do really appreciate your help educating us.
Now I have a different view of Second Career. Could you please help me out on finding and choosing a good program to start my journey. I don't really want to study programs which will end up doing construction job, or careers in trade. Because that's exactly what I used to do, and I've got injured on the project and still on pain after a year.....
I really like to find jobs in marketing, sales, Human Resources or banking fields...or office job, and I'm willing to put my full attention and energy to become a successful employee with a great employer, because I really appreciate this amazing opportunity that government of Ontario created for all residents, and want to give back by making the best use of the program. I'm going to actually go to one of the Employment offices to register for the program, but I'd like to have your suggestion and help beside Employment office.

Thank you and have a great day.
Feb 1, 2017
3 posts
2 upvotes
Good point EmpCouns. Thats what i really like about www.sokanu.com , that assessment takes these preferences into account. I have gotten very positive feedback re accuracy of suggestions from clients who have done it.
Feb 9, 2017
4 posts
Does anyone know if on EI and then getting approved for Second career affects your EI payments?
My fiancé has been laid off since sept, his claim expires in July and he has gotten approved for Second Career and started his course. I'm wondering how he would fill his EI Report out when it asks if you are in training and when it asks "did you or will you receive a training allowance for the weeks shown". Second career hasn't given him any allowances for living expenses or text books/tools needed. Any help would be greatly appreciated as his report is due today and he cannot reach them over the weekend .

As for other people wondering, he got his second careeer all figured out and approved within two weeks but he was really quick at providing the info needed by the person assisting him.
Aug 2, 2012
544 posts
192 upvotes
All of this should have been explained to him as part of the process with his counsellor even before his application was prepared - and if not (which IMO should not happen), it should have been explained when he signed his contract.

If someone is receiving EI, the Ministry informs Service Canada. Second Career is one of two scenarios that I know of when someone can be in full-time education and still receive EI (the other is the in-school part of apprentice training). His EI will continue until the last payment, at which point he should be switched over to Basic Living Allowance, if he is entitled to it and if there is enough money left to pay it.

As for books and tools, those should absolutely have been included and he should raise this with his counsellor immediately if they really were not. Books and other instructional costs are listed on the application form and the estimate of financial assistance form, and the amounts should have been entered as part of the application.
Grey22 wrote:
Feb 10th, 2017 6:54 pm
Does anyone know if on EI and then getting approved for Second career affects your EI payments?
My fiancé has been laid off since sept, his claim expires in July and he has gotten approved for Second Career and started his course. I'm wondering how he would fill his EI Report out when it asks if you are in training and when it asks "did you or will you receive a training allowance for the weeks shown". Second career hasn't given him any allowances for living expenses or text books/tools needed. Any help would be greatly appreciated as his report is due today and he cannot reach them over the weekend .

As for other people wondering, he got his second careeer all figured out and approved within two weeks but he was really quick at providing the info needed by the person assisting him.
Aug 2, 2012
544 posts
192 upvotes
Congratulations - you've done the career exploration.

I have a concern about marketing - not because of the field, but because of Second Career rules. Marketing is a NOC A occupation, and Second Career will only fund NOC B and C occupations (again, something you should discuss with a counsellor). It may be possible to find a NOC B occupation where marketing training is a required skill, but you will probably need help with this.

If you can find an occupation at the right skill level where marketing would fit, then I strongly recommend that your next step needs to be the labour market research (which you should do anyway as part of the application process). Look to see what jobs are available in the marketing field, and what the hiring requirements are. Will you be able to find a job without experience? What do these jobs pay? What other knowledge and skills are needed besides what you would learn in your program? Talk to people who work in the field to find out how they got their jobs; talk to hiring managers to find out what they look for when they hire. If you don't know how to make these connections to interview people, talk to your counsellor to see if s/he can help.

User984953 wrote:
Feb 10th, 2017 6:33 pm
Thank you Julia13 and EmpCouns for your great suggestions.Smiling Face With Open Mouth
According to sokanu's assessment, the perfect option for me is to go with business, marketing, or management career. Is anyone has any idea about marketing program to study through SC. I already found a 2 years (4 semesters) Marketing program, (CREDENTIAL :Ontario College Diploma), at George Brown College.
Did you have any clients in the past who study Marketing...
Feb 9, 2017
4 posts
Thank you for your reply. I will have him contact his counsellor. She said it wouldn't affect his EI but never told him how to input it when he rules his reports. Do you know what he would put for this report? I am not sure if the ministry has informed EI. I guess this would be another question to his counsellor?
As for the funding, he informed me that based on my income and his (from only EI) they would only provide a percentage to cover the costs and he would need to pay for at least 1300 or so out of his own pocket . He was going to go through OSAP for the rest, bust unfortunately he is attending a private college that isn't register for OSAP. I'm not sure if this changes your previous comment?

Also, he has had to pay the taxes on the tuition out of his own pocket as well. Is this normal? And thankfully his EI will last one month more then his course since his course is only a couple of months.

Thanks for all your help!!
Aug 2, 2012
544 posts
192 upvotes
Ah - so the issue is that he is required to make a contribution. That certainly makes a difference. If gross household income, taking into account size of household, is higher than the relevant threshold, then the student has to contribute a certain percentage of the cost of the contract. It's not an unreasonable concept, but unfortunately the thresholds (and the $28,000 available for Second Career) have not been raised since 2008, when this program was launched.

And, yes, Second Career students are responsible for their own tax, and tax is payable on all funds provided through Second Career - but remember that tuition paid is tax-deductible. So is money spent on books and tools. So he should be keeping copies of those receipts to use them come tax-time.

As for what to report to EI, the easiest way to find out is either to call EI (if he can get through) or walk into the nearest Service Canada office, and ask.
Grey22 wrote:
Feb 10th, 2017 11:40 pm
Thank you for your reply. I will have him contact his counsellor. She said it wouldn't affect his EI but never told him how to input it when he rules his reports. Do you know what he would put for this report? I am not sure if the ministry has informed EI. I guess this would be another question to his counsellor?
As for the funding, he informed me that based on my income and his (from only EI) they would only provide a percentage to cover the costs and he would need to pay for at least 1300 or so out of his own pocket . He was going to go through OSAP for the rest, bust unfortunately he is attending a private college that isn't register for OSAP. I'm not sure if this changes your previous comment?

Also, he has had to pay the taxes on the tuition out of his own pocket as well. Is this normal? And thankfully his EI will last one month more then his course since his course is only a couple of months.

Thanks for all your help!!
Mar 7, 2011
104 posts
7 upvotes
Winnipeg
When I looked into it about 5 years ago, the only program options were for base pay postions, like Admin Assistant. I was not at all impressed with the options. I hope others have better experiences.
Aug 2, 2012
544 posts
192 upvotes
Aqueya wrote:
Feb 14th, 2017 12:40 pm
When I looked into it about 5 years ago, the only program options were for base pay postions, like Admin Assistant. I was not at all impressed with the options. I hope others have better experiences.
There are many more options available than for 'base pay' positions - and bear in mind, too, that administrative roles can stretch from entry-level clerical work to executive assistant. Just a small sample of occupational training that can be covered by Second Career includes HR, accounting, supply chain management and logistics, skilled trades, social service work, interactive media design, IT technical support and project coordination.
Feb 19, 2017
1 posts
Hello, thank you for your helpful information.
I would like to apply for 2nd career & want to know if I qualify.
- have BA(graded 2014) that I completed part time since I was working on a span of 8 years at age 27 worked for 2 years until July 2016 but laid off due to medical reasons. ( I have mental illness)
- Sep2016 registered for uni courses with OSAP to do a diploma but was still so ill due to mental health reasons that dropped my courses. While also looking for work but had no luck so far...
Would I be rejected due to applying for so OSAP this academic year?
Aug 2, 2012
544 posts
192 upvotes
The layoff means that you meet initial eligibility requirements.

You also have to meet the required suitability score, and you will need to meet with an employment counsellor to be assessed.

As far as existing education and OSAP goes, you cannot have completed a post-secondary education or training program within the last two years. However, your completed program was 2014. An incomplete program doesn't disqualify you. Having outstanding OSAP debt also doesn't disqualify you. The only OSAP issue would be if you have a restriction on receiving OSAP due to misrepresentation.

Finally, anyone who has medical issues (physical or mental) needs to have a doctor's note indicating that they are fit to study and work in their desired field. I would also recommend that you consider community colleges in preference to private career colleges, due to the supports the community colleges have in place for students with disabilities or special needs.

User961604 wrote:
Feb 20th, 2017 2:47 am
Hello, thank you for your helpful information.
I would like to apply for 2nd career & want to know if I qualify.
- have BA(graded 2014) that I completed part time since I was working on a span of 8 years at age 27 worked for 2 years until July 2016 but laid off due to medical reasons. ( I have mental illness)
- Sep2016 registered for uni courses with OSAP to do a diploma but was still so ill due to mental health reasons that dropped my courses. While also looking for work but had no luck so far...
Would I be rejected due to applying for so OSAP this academic year?