Careers

Second Career Program - Feedback .

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 13th, 2017 9:22 pm
Aug 2, 2012
550 posts
193 upvotes
If your equivalency is a college diploma, it's still post-secondary education. However, this is a situation where I would consider making an exception request, as your education is not recognised at its full level.

To verify need for a licence, we are told to look at the NOC. If this says a licence is required, we can award three points.
jb2017 wrote:
Aug 17th, 2017 1:45 am
Hi Empcouns!!

Thanks for replying...

Also i would like to ask a question.... What is a non recognized education ? How can i explain it?

1- My Bachelor is 3 years back home and they give me college diploma in Management..... I don't Know if a college diploma is also 1point in the Matrix.
2- Insurance Agent... https://www.fsco.gov.on.ca/en/insurance ... iders.aspx
A Licence is necesary to become an Insurance Agent in Ontario.
Aug 2, 2012
550 posts
193 upvotes
I would think these should be included in BLA.
nicky22 wrote:
Aug 18th, 2017 1:26 pm
Hello,

Does anyone know if the Basic Living Allowance offered through Second Career will cover my Condominum Fee's, as my condo fee's include heat and water, to which are deemed eligible expenses??
Aug 2, 2012
550 posts
193 upvotes
All I can tell you is that if I think that Second Career is the most suitable intervention for my client, even if the suitability score is under 16, then I am very comfortable putting forward an exception request. Definitely try another service provider, and good luck!
iampathan wrote:
Aug 19th, 2017 11:12 am
Hi jb2017,

Two of the employement ontario provider clearly denied applying at 15 points.They say ministry is very strict in this.I tried to convince but one of them said that if you insist they will put up but will not support the application.You may still submit it as an unsupported application.
On monday i am going to another employement ontario service provider and get my self assessed.i will update what reply i get.

HI Empcouns,

On eligibility and suitability assessment template it is clearly written "if score is 15 or lower,the individual must be directed to other programs.
most of them follow that strictly
Suggestion, if any employement service provider who at least support and put up the file to ministry with an exception.

Thanks and Regards
May 9, 2016
3 posts
Hello, just one quick questions guys. Can Second Career student apply for OSAP? If it is the situation that there is a part of tuition not covered by Second Career Program? And will they get grants from OSAP?

Thanks and Regards.
Aug 2, 2012
550 posts
193 upvotes
Yes, you can apply for OSAP. You should report the funds that you are due to receive from Second Career (once your contract is signed) and OSAP will calculate what additional money you might be eligible for. If your tuition is higher than the SC maximum, you can usually get the rest through OSAP. Also, OSAP now has grants as well as loans, and so depending on your situation you may qualify for a grant on top of your SC funding.

simontang28 wrote:
Sep 12th, 2017 12:36 am
Hello, just one quick questions guys. Can Second Career student apply for OSAP? If it is the situation that there is a part of tuition not covered by Second Career Program? And will they get grants from OSAP?

Thanks and Regards.
Dec 7, 2013
1 posts
1 upvote
Richmond Hill
This wonderful thread had helped me with my Second Career application and I would like to add my two cents.

For those of you guys who are looking to study at Centennial in Toronto, they have an in-house application for Second Career applicants that waives the $95 OCAS fee, it’s a manual process that doesn’t go through ontariocolleges.ca. To apply at Centennial this way talk to their pathways advisor. One thing I noticed is that the in-house application didn't ask for any previous post-secondary education, not sure how that’s going to work for people who want advanced standing. Their decision on admission was fast, 4 hours after the application was submitted I received the offer letter through email.

Hope this info helps. Smiling Face With Open Mouth
Sep 12, 2017
1 posts
I would like to apply for before school care for my 9 year old. The program at his school is full. What other childcare options will Second career pay for?

If they wont approve pay for a private citizan, id have to consider him staying home alone for 1hr i the morning. Thoughts?
Aug 2, 2012
550 posts
193 upvotes
You can use any childcare method you want - I have had clients pay a childminder, and as long as the childminder completes the childcare provider form to state the number of hours of care that will be provided and the cost, it's fine. The childminder will then have to give you receipts for the money, and you will have to send copies to the Ministry. The receipts don't need to be anything fancy or official - a receipt book from the dollar store will work as long as the childminder has her name and yours on the receipt as well as the amount and date.

Also, if a space becomes available in the before-school program and you want to send your son there instead, just let your counsellor know, You'll need to get the program coordinator to complete the childcare form and your counsellor will need to submit an amendment request.

Kneve27 wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 2:11 pm
I would like to apply for before school care for my 9 year old. The program at his school is full. What other childcare options will Second career pay for?

If they wont approve pay for a private citizan, id have to consider him staying home alone for 1hr i the morning. Thoughts?
Aug 16, 2013
4 posts
Mississauga
I was approved for SC... And now into my second week of classes. I received an email last Friday stating my funding has been processed. Does anyone have any idea how long this actually tales to show up in your bank account? I have dependant care to pay for and transportation , other than that I am not receiving ant bla ... Which is really getting tight!
Aug 2, 2012
550 posts
193 upvotes
We are typically told to advise clients that funding can take 2-3 weeks to start flowing after their program starts, and that they should have enough money to pay bills for those first 2-3 weeks. This is an ongoing source of frustration for all of us, but I don't see it changing any time soon. Sorry!

fsaarinen21 wrote:
Sep 25th, 2017 10:28 pm
I was approved for SC... And now into my second week of classes. I received an email last Friday stating my funding has been processed. Does anyone have any idea how long this actually tales to show up in your bank account? I have dependant care to pay for and transportation , other than that I am not receiving ant bla ... Which is really getting tight!
Jan 20, 2017
57 posts
10 upvotes
Hi EmpCouns,

First off, thank you so much for your time and help provided to everyone in this thread. I'd like to ask what you can say regarding my situation.
I have worked in IT for over 20 years continuously but was laid off and been on severance payments for past 3 months. My severance is likely to run another 6 months. I would like to switch from IT to Information Security and want to know if it is possible for me to receive any help with doing any Information security courses, preferably in person but otherwise online? Thank you, in advance.
Aug 2, 2012
550 posts
193 upvotes
I wish I could give you a simple answer, but it's not that simple. Eligibility is based on having been laid off, but there are other factors to consider as well (including: did you complete any vocational training in the last two years?). But then there are seven suitability criteria, and without more information I couldn't estimate whether you would score highly enough on those to get 16+ points. Also, information security is a NOC A occupation (as are most, though not all, IT occupations), and so unless you could identify a NOC B occupation that this training would qualify you for, Second Career would not pay for that training.

Bottom line: it's certainly possible, but there are many unknowns to your situation and the only way you'll find out whether this will work for you is to meet with an employment counsellor to be assessed. In the meantime, look up some job postings that a qualification in information security might qualify you for, and see if you can find any that are closer to a NOC B occupational classification than a NOC A one.

Here is the NOC A classification that covers security: http://noc.esdc.gc.ca/English/NOC/Profi ... 171&ver=16

Depending on the specific job postings you use, you may get away with saying that your goal is actually this type of position: http://noc.esdc.gc.ca/English/NOC/Profi ... 281&ver=16

If the relevant program includes skills and certifications related to networking (and especially if - as a client of mine with existing IT experience did - you can get into a postgraduate program at a community college which is cheaper than a diploma at a private career college and shorter than the two-year networking diploma at a community college), you could argue that the information security course could lead to a network admin role, which would get around the 'no NOC A occupations' rule.

You don't say where in the province you are, but this website should help you to find a local agency: http://feats.findhelp.ca/eng/search.html
jaguaar wrote:
Sep 28th, 2017 9:20 pm
Hi EmpCouns,

First off, thank you so much for your time and help provided to everyone in this thread. I'd like to ask what you can say regarding my situation.
I have worked in IT for over 20 years continuously but was laid off and been on severance payments for past 3 months. My severance is likely to run another 6 months. I would like to switch from IT to Information Security and want to know if it is possible for me to receive any help with doing any Information security courses, preferably in person but otherwise online? Thank you, in advance.
Jan 20, 2017
57 posts
10 upvotes
Awesome, just awesome reply. Hats off to you for the fantastic, detailed and very helpful response. Keep up the good work.
EmpCouns wrote:
Sep 28th, 2017 10:27 pm
I wish I could give you a simple answer, but it's not that simple. Eligibility is based on having been laid off, but there are other factors to consider as well (including: did you complete any vocational training in the last two years?). But then there are seven suitability criteria, and without more information I couldn't estimate whether you would score highly enough on those to get 16+ points. Also, information security is a NOC A occupation (as are most, though not all, IT occupations), and so unless you could identify a NOC B occupation that this training would qualify you for, Second Career would not pay for that training.

Bottom line: it's certainly possible, but there are many unknowns to your situation and the only way you'll find out whether this will work for you is to meet with an employment counsellor to be assessed. In the meantime, look up some job postings that a qualification in information security might qualify you for, and see if you can find any that are closer to a NOC B occupational classification than a NOC A one.

Here is the NOC A classification that covers security: http://noc.esdc.gc.ca/English/NOC/Profi ... 171&ver=16

Depending on the specific job postings you use, you may get away with saying that your goal is actually this type of position: http://noc.esdc.gc.ca/English/NOC/Profi ... 281&ver=16

If the relevant program includes skills and certifications related to networking (and especially if - as a client of mine with existing IT experience did - you can get into a postgraduate program at a community college which is cheaper than a diploma at a private career college and shorter than the two-year networking diploma at a community college), you could argue that the information security course could lead to a network admin role, which would get around the 'no NOC A occupations' rule.

You don't say where in the province you are, but this website should help you to find a local agency: http://feats.findhelp.ca/eng/search.html
Aug 2, 2012
550 posts
193 upvotes
You're very welcome! If I can help with anything else as you find out more information, just ask Smiling Face With Open Mouth
jaguaar wrote:
Sep 29th, 2017 6:45 pm
Awesome, just awesome reply. Hats off to you for the fantastic, detailed and very helpful response. Keep up the good work.
Nov 5, 2017
1 posts
i withdraw from second career program last year due to personal problem. and i am wondering if it is possible to go back to school again ? i want to go back to the same school and same program of study ? do i need to go through the same process ? my situation has not changed from last year. i mean i am still unemployed.