Second Career Program - Feedback .

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 24th, 2017 1:18 am
Aug 2, 2012
553 posts
195 upvotes
leesam wrote:
Nov 6th, 2017 5:57 pm
i withdraw from second career program last year due to personal problem. and i am wondering if it is possible to go back to school again ? i want to go back to the same school and same program of study ? do i need to go through the same process ? my situation has not changed from last year. i mean i am still unemployed.
Short answer: yes, you can.

Longer answer: There are several issues that need to be considered. First, you will have to reapply - a full new application. Second, as part of the application you will have to include an explanation as to why you withdrew (yes, your ETC from that time will have known, but there is no guarantee that your new application will go to the same ETC, or that that ETC would remember all of the circumstances), and show that you are now fully ready to return and that the issues that caused you to withdraw are no longer a problem.

Third, as you're within two years of your withdrawal date, the money available to you will be less than $28,000 - the Ministry looks at how much was spent on you the first time around and deducts that from the $28,000. So you'll need to look very carefully at whether you can afford to return. Since you're looking at returning to the same program in the same training institution, can you return at the point where you withdrew, rather than restarting? That could save some money.

First step: go and see your employment counsellor to get things started, and good luck.
Nov 8, 2017
1 posts
I submitted my application for out of town schooling/ residency on October 23rd.. it has been almost 3 weeks now and still no call back from second career. How long does it typically take for them to contact back after submission?

Thank you for your help
Last edited by intotheblues on Nov 9th, 2017 3:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Aug 2, 2012
553 posts
195 upvotes
It depends: on how busy they are, how much work needs to be done in reviewing your application, and on your start date as opposed to other applicants' - if they have several applications with start dates in the next couple of weeks and yours is a January start date, the others will be prioritised.

Have you asked your counsellor whether s/he has heard anything? If the Ministry is working on your application and there are questions, your counsellor will be contacted. Also, your counsellor would be able to see on the CaMS database whether your application is being worked on.
intotheblues wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 3:31 pm
I submitted my application for out of town schooling/ residency on October 23rd.. it has been almost 3 weeks now and still no call back from second career. How long does it typically take for them to contact back after submission?

Thank you for your help
Nov 11, 2017
0 posts
If u owe osap can u still get second career? Also how do I go about it? I'm on ow right now n have also bin on ei in last 5 years. Help!!! I don't Wana stuck on welfare cuz I can't get a job!!! Where do I go n who can help me???
Aug 2, 2012
553 posts
195 upvotes
EmilyM728882 wrote:
Nov 12th, 2017 11:57 am
If u owe osap can u still get second career? Also how do I go about it? I'm on ow right now n have also bin on ei in last 5 years. Help!!! I don't Wana stuck on welfare cuz I can't get a job!!! Where do I go n who can help me???
Owing money to OSAP doesn't prevent someone from being approved for Second Career - but if you are restricted from receiving OSAP due to misrepresentation this restriction needs to be lifted before you can be approved.

Are you even eligible for Second Career? You would need to have been laid off, left a job on medical grounds, or taken maternity leave with EI benefits and now be ready to re-enter the labour market.

To find out whether you could be eligible, you will need to go to an Employment Ontario-funded agency and meet with an employment counsellor. This website will help you: http://feats.findhelp.ca/eng/search.html

(And a suggestion: if you're serious about getting training and looking for a job, leave the textspeak for friends and family. It doesn't create the best of impressions in any kind of professional interactions).
Mar 3, 2016
3 posts
Hi everyone. Will try to keep this short and thanks in advance. I have gone thru a layoff then severance and finally EI. At that point I went on Ontario works. Over the last year I have worked with 2nd career and my counsellor scored my matrix more then high enough to apply. I am now looking at education starting in January but am concerned. When specifically doing the financial calculator it's very sketchy.

#1 if I calculate my 720 income and 680 living expenses then essentially i woukd not get a BLA cause I'm in the positive. However if I go on 2nd career then will I not get cut off from OW? So ultimately my income is 0 at that point.

#2 can anyone confirm that you can be on OW or ODSP while going on 2nd career.

#3 I've heard others say you will get denied because essentially you are too broke to be on 2nd career. It's a shared expense program and basically with no money you can't pay for anything they might ask outside of the 28k max they could provide.

Thanks again for any thoughts or advice.
Aug 2, 2012
553 posts
195 upvotes
Your situation is one I deal with all the time when working with Second Career applicants. It's rough to be surviving on OW - for all that it's a lifeline, the level of support is just not enough. However, Second Career's Basic Living Allowance is also not enough. Let's start from there.

In my part of Ontario, Second Career applicants who are OW participants exit OW when they start training, so they would receive BLA. For some people, this means they're better off. For others, they are not - particularly if they receive child tax benefit, because this is treated as income and is deducted from BLA. I have heard people in Toronto say that they get to stay on OW while in Second Career. Ask your counsellor how this works - I'm surprised that s/he has not had this conversation with you. It's one of the first conversations I have with my clients.

(Re. ODSP: people normally want to keep their ODSP because of how difficult it is to get that status, and because of the medical and other benefits they receive. I have had Second Career clients who maintained their ODSP while in training. They generally do not qualify for BLA because their ODSP is higher than what they would be eligible for).

The Ministry is very concerned about financial feasibility, because it doesn't help anyone when someone drops out of training because they can't afford it. That is the main concern which leads to that 'too broke' comment. Cost-sharing, on the other hand, only applies when someone has a higher income (they may be required to contribute a % of the allowable training costs), or when total costs for their program are higher than the maximums available ($28,000 total, $10,000 for tuition at a private career college).

In your case, it will all be about affordability. Are your tuition and books all covered within the maximum? Will there be enough money left over to fund your basic living allowance and anything else you're entitled to - such as transportation? If you have expenses that Second Career doesn't help with - such as the costs of running a vehicle, paying insurance on your home/contents, etc - then they want a plan as to how you can manage. Some of my clients have other resources (family members, a line of credit etc) which they can draw on. Some can get a part-time job, and that's when we make a request for consideration of financial hardship, which at its basic is 'please don't deduct the $300 I'm making from this part-time job because I need it to pay for X, Y and Z'.

One other thing: some of my clients also consider OSAP to see whether any top-ups could be available, especially when tuition exceeds the maximum. Now that OSAP has a grant portion, this has helped some people.

So there are options, and it isn't as difficult as you may have thought for an OW participant to be approved - in fact, for a layoff to end up in a need to access OW, it could even be argued that you are more in need of training than many - after all, if you didn't need training, surely you could have found another job by now? (Simplistic, I know, but it could be seen as additional justification for approval).

I hope this helps. Do sit down with your counsellor, though, and discuss all these questions - this is what we're there for, and you shouldn't be left on your own to figure all of this out. Good luck! Hope you're approved and that training works out for you.
ISMISIBM wrote:
Nov 23rd, 2017 4:38 am
Hi everyone. Will try to keep this short and thanks in advance. I have gone thru a layoff then severance and finally EI. At that point I went on Ontario works. Over the last year I have worked with 2nd career and my counsellor scored my matrix more then high enough to apply. I am now looking at education starting in January but am concerned. When specifically doing the financial calculator it's very sketchy.

#1 if I calculate my 720 income and 680 living expenses then essentially i woukd not get a BLA cause I'm in the positive. However if I go on 2nd career then will I not get cut off from OW? So ultimately my income is 0 at that point.

#2 can anyone confirm that you can be on OW or ODSP while going on 2nd career.

#3 I've heard others say you will get denied because essentially you are too broke to be on 2nd career. It's a shared expense program and basically with no money you can't pay for anything they might ask outside of the 28k max they could provide.

Thanks again for any thoughts or advice.
Mar 3, 2016
3 posts
Thanks emp.

I spoke to OW and for sure cut off immediately . When I spoke to the counsellor she basically said she has never seen anyone get approved with 0 income because essentially they are afraid you will not be able to afford year 2.

At this point in applying for ODSP so I will wait till September and then reapply.

You were bang on . Tx again