Cars ruin cities
Cars ruin cities
17 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
21708 posts
9002 upvotes
Toronto
I'm strictly guessing that this is their last gasp of air before MTY group buys SC out and converts them all into their Timmothy's brand or one of their others...
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Deal Fanatic
Jul 10, 2003
8085 posts
3868 upvotes
playnicee1 wrote: I'm strictly guessing that this is their last gasp of air before MTY group buys SC out and converts them all into their Timmothy's brand or one of their others...
What's with you and mentioning MTY group in every thread?
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
21708 posts
9002 upvotes
Toronto
LNahid2000 wrote: What's with you and mentioning MTY group in every thread?
MTY group is already involved with Second cup, sharing lease space.
Jan 16, 2016
15 posts
16 upvotes
Second Cup is still around? They've all but disappeared in Vancouver.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 10, 2003
8085 posts
3868 upvotes
playnicee1 wrote: MTY group is already involved with Second cup, sharing lease space.
I'm not sure what you mean.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
21708 posts
9002 upvotes
Toronto
LNahid2000 wrote: I'm not sure what you mean.
I'm not sure what you mean by not being sure what I mean.
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2016
4745 posts
4409 upvotes
yvrtobli wrote: Second Cup is still around? They've all but disappeared in Vancouver.
Yeah, Starbucks is slowly but surely snuffing them out. Not nearly as many of them here in Toronto as they were before the big green invasion in the mid 90's!
Anybody who thinks MTY or Cara can bring them back from the dead and run Starbucks out of Canada must have a great ganja source...
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
21708 posts
9002 upvotes
Toronto
EastGTARedFlagger wrote: Yeah, Starbucks is slowly but surely snuffing them out. Not nearly as many of them here in Toronto as they were before the big green invasion in the mid 90's!
Anybody who thinks MTY or Cara can bring them back from the dead and run Starbucks out of Canada must have a great ganja source...
To be very specific, one has to wonder how THREE second cup locations manage to survive in Toronto with so much competition between Bloor & Spadina and Bloor & Bathust,
but who says the MTY game plan would be to keep Second cup alive if they were to buy them?
Let's not forget they already own Van Houtte & Timothy's.
Deal Expert
Mar 7, 2005
18841 posts
1953 upvotes
Elmira
Second Cup is alive and well here. The one at Hurontario & 407 just went through a big renovation as well
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
21708 posts
9002 upvotes
Toronto
duckdown wrote: Second Cup is alive and well here. The one at Hurontario & 407 just went through a big renovation as well
It's a location issue, really. I miss them at Scarborough town.
Somehow they're still in business at Yonge & Eglinton even though the owner there swears business is very slow due to construction.
They also seem to have 3 different ideas of what a Second cup is. Go to a standard (non renovated) location, then go visit the King & Bathurst location (the original idea of a "newly renovated" location) and then go visit some of the other recently renovated locations... so much for cookie cutter second cups lol.
Aug 12, 2012
878 posts
437 upvotes
Richmond Hill
I think their baked goods are better than any other coffee chain out there. I bet these new items will be decent, but I wonder what their price will be.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
52935 posts
18144 upvotes
ONTARIO
EastGTARedFlagger wrote: Yeah, Starbucks is slowly but surely snuffing them out. Not nearly as many of them here in Toronto as they were before the big green invasion in the mid 90's!
I heard from somewhere that MTY is actually planning a buy out of the jollibee franchise. once they buy out jollibee, I'm sure they can buy second cup no problem!
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2016
4745 posts
4409 upvotes
UrbanPoet wrote: I heard from somewhere that MTY is actually planning a buy out of the jollibee franchise. once they buy out jollibee, I'm sure they can buy second cup no problem!
For the good of the group, post a link to that "somewhere" please. Overly speculative RFD posts by MTY fanbois don't count.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
21708 posts
9002 upvotes
Toronto
UrbanPoet wrote: I heard from somewhere that MTY is actually planning a buy out of the jollibee franchise. once they buy out jollibee, I'm sure they can buy second cup no problem!
I'm not sure where you're hearing that, but it has good merit for food court sake. (at least)
There's stronger formation to believe they'll buy Second cup.
At the very least, it looks like they're already joint venturing. (MTY owns Pinkberry)
http://www.secondcup.com/promotion/pinkberry
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
21708 posts
9002 upvotes
Toronto
UrbanPoet wrote: A&w have been popping up near me... they also have good coffe
A&W is serving Van Houtte coffee. Van Houtte is owned by MTY group.
Select locations (ie the food court near Toronto's Bloor subway station) are serving Countrystyle coffee instead, but most A&W locations are serving Van Houtte.
Oct 8, 2005
236 posts
160 upvotes
Montréal
playnicee1 wrote: A&W is serving Van Houtte coffee. Van Houtte is owned by MTY group.
Select locations (ie the food court near Toronto's Bloor subway station) are serving Countrystyle coffee instead, but most A&W locations are serving Van Houtte.
It's beside the main topic here, but only the Van Houtte Cafés are owned/franchised by MTY. The brand and packaged coffee is owned by Keurig Dr Pepper, itself controlled by JAB Holding Company.
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2016
4745 posts
4409 upvotes
Flsp wrote: It's beside the main topic here, but only the Van Houtte Cafés are owned/franchised by MTY. The brand and packaged coffee is owned by Keurig Dr Pepper, itself controlled by JAB Holding Company.
Also staying off-topic... did notice that JAB/Acorn owns BOTH Keurig (as part of the Keurig Dr.Pepper division) and Tassimo (as part of the JDE division)? Had no idea... but this must explain why Tassimo is slowly disappearing... don't see it advertised anymore, stores don't feature it prominently (Crappy Tire must be trying to unload what they have left, it's always "on sale"), etc. This is like if Coca-Cola also owned Pepsi!