• Sep 2nd, 2014 3:38 pm
Tags:
None
Feb 4, 2014
62 posts
5 upvotes
Toronto

Second Entry Nursing - degree options

Hi I'm currently in my final year at UofT Biology student. I'm currently considering a second entry nursing degree options in either UofT or York. Does anybody here have previous experiences in either program, and how competitive are they in terms of admission? Thanks
10 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2011
2715 posts
968 upvotes
Yellowknife
meiisme wrote: Hi I'm currently in my final year at UofT Biology student. I'm currently considering a second entry nursing degree options in either UofT or York. Does anybody here have previous experiences in either program, and how competitive are they in terms of admission? Thanks
Why limit to U of T and York?

Why not look at the Ryerson/George Brown/Centennial option? Increases your changes of getting in.

Plus, the employers don't really care where you graduated from. They want to know that you have the grades and you passed the nursing licensing exam. :)
Feb 4, 2014
62 posts
5 upvotes
Toronto
coupondiva2012 wrote: Why limit to U of T and York?

Why not look at the Ryerson/George Brown/Centennial option? Increases your changes of getting in.

Plus, the employers don't really care where you graduated from. They want to know that you have the grades and you passed the nursing licensing exam. :)
Correct me if I'm wrong but becoming an RN require a Bachelor's degree from an university vs RPN with a college diploma?
Deal Addict
Jul 16, 2003
1316 posts
488 upvotes
coupondiva2012 wrote: Why limit to U of T and York?

If OP qualifies for 2nd entry with necessary pre-requisites, then he/she would only need 2 more years of university to get BScN and RN license instead of doing 4 years all over again.
Deal Addict
Jul 16, 2003
1316 posts
488 upvotes
meiisme wrote: Correct me if I'm wrong but becoming an RN require are Bachelor's degree from an university vs RPN with a college diploma?
Yes, and coupondiva2012 probably meant the collaborative program which is just a 4 year BScN program. Your first 2 years starts at either Centennial, George Brown or Ryerson, and all these routes ends up in Ryerson in the last 2 years for the degree.
Nov 23, 2013
272 posts
101 upvotes
Thunder Bay
meiisme wrote: Correct me if I'm wrong but becoming an RN require a Bachelor's degree from an university vs RPN with a college diploma?
Yes, I am a two-year, College educated RPN. For me to upgrade, I have to start 4 years all over again.
Deal Guru
Dec 7, 2009
13885 posts
1368 upvotes
2nd entry generally means you have a degree and you want to take an accelerated nursing program, providing you have the pre-reqs (usually, physiology, anatomy, and an english credit)
In a perfect system, corporations would fear the government and the government would fear the people. - David Wong

Check out caRpetbomBer's picks in this thread.
Jul 13, 2009
294 posts
236 upvotes
catalan26 wrote: Yes, I am a two-year, College educated RPN. For me to upgrade, I have to start 4 years all over again.
Many colleges/university have bridging programs for an RPNs to a BScN that takes less than 4 years.

I've read that UofT has a lot of writing and theory, but they probably have more clinical placement options since they're associated with basically all of the downtown teaching hospitals.
Deal Guru
Dec 7, 2009
13885 posts
1368 upvotes
^ I wouldn't be surprised if universities freeze out RPN programs from specific colleges because politics and administrative work don't allow bridging into their programs.

Despite how well regulated colleges and universities are in Canada, we somehow can't figure out a province or country-wide bridging process. Instead, we have these orphaned one-off programs that only work between one College and one University.
In a perfect system, corporations would fear the government and the government would fear the people. - David Wong

Check out caRpetbomBer's picks in this thread.
Jan 25, 2008
230 posts
50 upvotes
For York, if you have a 75% average, you should get in.
Jul 24, 2014
16 posts
Toronto, ON
Try apply U Calgary. There's a second entry nursing and you will be done in 2 years I think.
Someone I know (originally from Toronto) went to U Calgary and
did clinical practicum in Toronto during school years and landed a job in Toronto.

But do you really wanna nursing? Seriously, 4 years of nursing is a waste of time.

Remind you at Centenial, Ryerson, George brown, you gotta draws a pretty coat of arm as a group and
writes an essay why it symbolizes nursing.
In your community nursing, you gotta mop the floors.

PM me for more info.