• Jul 1st, 2013 10:06 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Jul 5, 2003
1083 posts
30 upvotes

Second Floor Addition

I am about to embark on some major home renovations. One of the items on our list is a second floor addition in the most economical (but yet good) manner. I am also thinking a modular addition but I don't have any experience in it. Can anyone recommend any companies that do modular additions? Any recommendations for good contractors that are reasonably priced and skilled?

We are in Toronto.
8 replies
Deal Guru
Oct 24, 2012
10990 posts
2130 upvotes
Montreal
Sometimes, or often, it is cheaper to simply sell and buy a house the size you want. Major renovations often cost a lot more than the added market value.
May 28, 2012
8890 posts
1504 upvotes
Saskatoon
I don't think you can say "economical" and "addition" in the same breath - you never make back the money anyway. Normally, you add on to a house you love, located in exactly the spot you want to live. Otherwise, it makes more financial sense to sell and buy a bigger house.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 5, 2003
1083 posts
30 upvotes
It's the location of the house that is driving the decision. Have looked into it .. to get the size I want in this area .. I am looking at about $400 K more and needs major renovations. I am pretty sure a second floor addition would cost less than that (a second floor addition of approximately 700 sq foot given the house is a back split).
Deal Fanatic
Apr 4, 2009
7663 posts
761 upvotes
North York
CharmyPoo wrote:
Jun 23rd, 2013 2:19 pm
It's the location of the house that is driving the decision. Have looked into it .. to get the size I want in this area .. I am looking at about $400 K more and needs major renovations. I am pretty sure a second floor addition would cost less than that (a second floor addition of approximately 700 sq foot given the house is a back split).
Not sure if adding 700 sq. ft. to the front part of the backsplit is same as adding 700 sq. ft to a bungalow. A neighbor recently did this. Their 600 sq. ft addition cost them $100K.

I saw this done to a backsplit ... the backsplit was HUGE afterwards. It had a very nice street presence as it would look like a 2-story house from the front.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 5, 2003
1083 posts
30 upvotes
Thanks busybuyer. This is really helpful and inline with what I was thinking.
May 13, 2007
189 posts
3 upvotes
Toronto
Where are you located?
The first thing you need is an existing survey of your property. With the survey you can look up the Zoning by-laws to see how big you can actually build on your lot. Right now there are two zoning by-laws in effect , (the former by-law, find out this information by going to the appropriate building department district) (and new city wide by-law by going to www.toronto.ca/zoning). The most restrictive of either by-laws will limit to how big of a second storey addition you can build. Limitations include max gross floor area, setbacks and height requirements.
Also double check to your property is not subject to the Ravine and Natural Feature Protection By-law, if so you would need their permission as well for doing any work on your property.

You would then need to work with good designer to plan your addition and produce a set of working drawings for the building permit application and for the contractor to use on site. It is also advisable to get a structural engineer to verify the existing conditions and design of your existing foundation walls and the size of your existing footings, to see if it could support a second storey addition.

Building permit fees, architectural designer and structural review are some additional fees on top of the construction + interior renovation fees.

It is a long gruelling process and without proper planning, the process would take that much longer and cost that much more.

I hope this information helps
Sep 17, 2002
702 posts
84 upvotes
don't forget proptery taxes - are there other people doing the same in your area? Check out their taxes after their reno.

There is a thread about someone doing the same - taxes are often forgotten in the short run

I'm not a fan of a house with too many steps - especially 4-5-6 level backsplits - I'm getting old and a two storey would be the most I can handle

Our neighbor went from a 4 to-5 level backsplit - i was huge but common on - room on each section
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 5, 2003
1083 posts
30 upvotes
Thanks for the info. This area has a lot of renovations with new additions and complete tear downs. It is an area with tiny houses mixed in with huge houses. I am not too worried about the permits being approved but obviously still need to get it done.
× < >