Students

Second Masters or Doctorate?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 20th, 2018 11:22 pm
[OP]
Jan 10, 2018
1 posts

Second Masters or Doctorate?

I am a teacher and I have a Master's in Psychology. I am considering going back to school (online) and I am considering a Master's in Museum Studies from Harvard through their extension program. I am also considering a Doctorate in Education at a Canadian school. The masters programs and doctorates I am looking at will cost about the same. I hope to advance my career in education. Does anyone have an opinion on this?
9 replies
Aug 15, 2015
924 posts
106 upvotes
Markham, ON
What do you mean when you say you hope to advance your career in education? It's going to affect people's answer.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2013
1490 posts
403 upvotes
Woodbridge
NathanielFlaherty wrote:
Jan 11th, 2018 6:00 pm
I hope to advance my career in education.
In what way? Do you want to become a principal and eventually a SO? Do you want to work for the Ministry of Education? Do you want to work with the curriculum? Do you want to teach B.Ed students? What province are you in?
[OP]
Jan 10, 2018
1 posts
I am hoping to do counselling for teachers looking to find jobs. I am wondering if having the harvard name will make me more marketable.
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2004
3369 posts
351 upvotes
Toronto
NathanielFlaherty wrote:
Jan 22nd, 2018 1:41 pm
I am hoping to do counselling for teachers looking to find jobs. I am wondering if having the harvard name will make me more marketable.
If your Harvard training is found to be totally unrelated to what you are doing (museum education vs. career counselling) then using it as a selling point might very well be a negative.
Deal Guru
Dec 31, 2005
13279 posts
708 upvotes
I don't see the value at all.

For Principal or VP, it is about being noticed (typically showing leadership) and then developed. Most people know they are tagged years in advance. My wife is one such teacher, though she has no desire at all...She was also tagged for curriculum leadership with the board...but did not want that path either...my point is that simply getting another degree has no value here.

What counselling are you possibly providing. In the school system, there is no value.
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
17428 posts
5537 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
paper chasing isn't going to advance your career...especially a Masters in Museum studies (Harvard or not).

If you want the degree for personal satisfaction, go for it. But don't expect it to advance your career. Hell a few years ago I was thinking about doing a PHD in business for shits and giggles. I lost interest though.
deleted to keep the site family friendly. Was about copping sick fadez.
Well there's no sick fadez left to be copped now that the regimen cannot be admired in all its glory
RIP sick fadez.
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2008
3905 posts
1322 upvotes
Toronto
By 'advance' your career in education - what is your current career in education? I don't see how an online research doctorate or a masters in museum studies would teach you anything about counselling people.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2013
1490 posts
403 upvotes
Woodbridge
NathanielFlaherty wrote:
Jan 22nd, 2018 1:41 pm
What does this mean? Do you want to do private consulting to help teachers find jobs? I'm not sure such a market exists.
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2005
2173 posts
67 upvotes
Toronto
jvnanu wrote:
Jan 22nd, 2018 1:31 pm
In what way? Do you want to become a principal and eventually a SO? Do you want to work for the Ministry of Education? Do you want to work with the curriculum? Do you want to teach B.Ed students? What province are you in?
Unless you have a B.Ed (not clear if the OP does), the principal door is likely closed to you even with a D.Ed. Second, if you're looking to help teachers find jobs (which sounds like consulting), might a business degree of some sort be more appropriate?