• Last Updated:
  • Jul 27th, 2007 6:15 pm
Tags:
None
Apr 9, 2007
698 posts
3 upvotes

Secondary vs. Occasional driver

Wheres the line drawn between a secondary and occasional driver?

Heres the situation: Two person household (spouses). One person owns the car and drivers the car to work daily. Second person may take one trip a week to go shopping or some sort of leisure activity.

Is this second person a secondary driver or occaisonal driver?

I tried to do some research on the net. It seems to say a spouse is usually a secondary driver but the insurance company indicated it could be either.

Is there a difference in terms of costs or coverage listing someone as secondary instead of occasional?

(Im not trying to scam or save money. The 2nd driver truely may make 1 trip per week.)
2 replies
Deal Fanatic
Sep 14, 2006
9644 posts
2633 upvotes
i guess it depends on who drives the car the most.

ie: if you have two cars and both your parents takes it to work everyday. chances of you driving is slim because you have no access to them. i would say you're an occasional driver. but then if you get the car every weekend, then i would say you're secondary. you would need to ask the insurance company for a clearcut definition. it might be different for each company.
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2005
2806 posts
37 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
urban1 wrote: Wheres the line drawn between a secondary and occasional driver?

Is there a difference in terms of costs or coverage listing someone as secondary instead of occasional?

(Im not trying to scam or save money. The 2nd driver truely may make 1 trip per week.)
To an insurance company, this second driver is probably a higher risk than the primary driver. The second driver goes on the road driving once a week, does not keep practiced in heavier traffic, forgets some driving skills over a period of time, etc.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)