• Dec 17th, 2010 7:02 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2005
2343 posts
433 upvotes

Security tag!!

So i bought a nice new coat online. They mailed it to me but they left the security tag on it!! frig

what should I do?

good thing its its the store brand coat(lacordee) which can only be bought online or in stores i guess that are no where near here.

Ideas?
27 replies
Mar 9, 2008
370 posts
32 upvotes
Vancouver
speak to the online store which you bought it from!
Deal Fanatic
Aug 13, 2007
5058 posts
1279 upvotes
GTA
Freeze it so the ink isn't a problem, and use a screw-driver and some pliers.
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2007
3068 posts
7274 upvotes
Kherani wrote: Freeze it so the ink isn't a problem, and use a screw-driver and some pliers.

The ink is made so you can't freeze them nor boil them over .... besides, the OP didn't even mention what kind of tag it is
Deal Addict
Nov 4, 2006
2578 posts
148 upvotes
often all you need is a strong magnet. this depends on the alarm attached. google for best results.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2010
6144 posts
2957 upvotes
Kanata
Are those things store specific? If not, just go into any clothing store, show them the receipt and tell them, and they'll probably will remove it for you.
Uh, yeah, I'd like to speak to a Mr. Tabooger, first name Ollie.
Jan 5, 2006
606 posts
40 upvotes
Whitby
Tabooger wrote: Are those things store specific? If not, just go into any clothing store, show them the receipt and tell them, and they'll probably will remove it for you.

+1. Seems like the most logical thing to do.
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2005
11318 posts
3867 upvotes
Nowhere
Tabooger wrote: Are those things store specific? If not, just go into any clothing store, show them the receipt and tell them, and they'll probably will remove it for you.

They will not remove it for you. If they did, it defeats the purpose. Even with a receipt, you could have still stolen it. If you are lucky you might get a temp. Christmas hire who will do it, but I wouldn't count on it.
Sep 18, 2009
169 posts
21 upvotes
Cheap Cat wrote: They will not remove it for you. If they did, it defeats the purpose. Even with a receipt, you could have still stolen it. If you are lucky you might get a temp. Christmas hire who will do it, but I wouldn't count on it.

It worked for me once. I bought a shirt in the states and didnt notice the tag was left on (and it didnt set off the alarm).

I took it to the mall and got it removed at Collegiate sports expert. without a receipt.

I doubt many stores will care as long it is not their merchandise.

I would start at a mall and try different stores until you find one that has a similar tag system. bringing the receipt should help.
Jul 14, 2005
673 posts
154 upvotes
What kind of tag is it? Some of the hidden ones are in the laundry care tag, and you can either remove the tag altogether or open the tag and remove the security tag.
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2008
2044 posts
129 upvotes
this thread sucks without knowing what kind of tag it is.
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2005
2343 posts
433 upvotes
Hey, the tag ill describe it its a long rectangle with a roundish spot on the other side.

Does that help?? it would be a magnet one eh not ink?
Jul 30, 2008
3 posts
Thunder Bay
I've had an ink tag left on once. I just wrapped the ink container part in a plastic bag, taped it closed tight so it couldn't leak if it broke, and hacked away at the other part with a screwdriver. I had it off in under 2 mins.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
7282 posts
1820 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
The absolute sure way to deal with this is to contact the online store. There seems to be hundreds of different varieties of these things and who knows the secure way to undo all of them.

Technically since you can't wear your piece of clothing it basically as good as being defective. Return it or exchange it for another one.

You can try to do it yourself, but the potential of having a ruined coat is too ricky IMO.
There's a sucker born every minute.
Deal Addict
May 18, 2004
2857 posts
507 upvotes
Ontario GTA
I actually work with EAS systems and tags,

first of all, it's very suspect an online store would have a security tag to begin with. since they dont have it on display there is no reason to take the time to tag the item.

First of all, if there is ink present, it will most likely warn you. DO NOT try to pry it open with a screwdriver like some yahoo on here suggested. You will most likely ruin your clothes, the ink used does not come out

secondly, there are different style of tags that use different locks. Post a picture of it so we know what kind it is.

Though from the description of it most likely you have a sensortmatic ultra tag on it. you can't use a magnet for those you will have to go to a store that uses sensormatic tags with your receipt and hope they will help you out. it uses claw like tool to detach the tag.

these are the tags sensormatic produces, see if it's one of those
http://www.sensormatic.com/products/eas ... _home.aspx

if there is no ink in the tag you can use whatever tools at your disposal at home to remove it as long as you are careful, they are built tough so don't expect to just use a pair of nail clippers to remove them.

you are probably best off removing the plastic housing for the lock and attack it from there to release the pin. like with a dremel. That would be the part that sticks up like a little cone on the tag.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)