Automotive

Seeking advice

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 27th, 2014 11:10 am
Oct 21, 2014
4 posts
Aurora, ON

Seeking advice

Hi - I am considering getting a car at a dealer's. It's a certified pre-owned 2010 Venza (with 1 owner only). I am concerned about a bit of rust that was visible under the hood near the top of the shock absorber strut (the tower housing that connects to the frame). I have attached the images here.

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/z5MVBOc.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/IDm36bc.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/MzLMEXV.jpg[/IMG]

I realize the previous owner had leased the car and did not worry about rust-proofing, but going by how that looks on the pictures - does that look like something that may be concerning in terms of safety ? I would not think so as this is going to be a dealer certified pre-owned, but still want to get some feedback. If I get Krown or some type of rust proofing before the Winter hits and maintain it going forward, will I be ok ?
20 replies
Oct 21, 2014
4 posts
Aurora, ON
I am concerned about the first pic I posted in the above response .. besides the exhaust rust showing in the front center of that pic, above that however, there seems like a more serious problem where the axle is rusting maybe ? In any case I can't tell how bad the problem is, but the dealer is claiming this car has passed Toyota's CPO program.
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2006
2637 posts
1353 upvotes
CANADA
Expecting a garage queen with no winters?
Deal Expert
Feb 26, 2004
26998 posts
4337 upvotes
That looks pretty bad for a 4-year old car which is probably why the original owner got rid of it. It's beyond saving even if you start rust proofing it now.

The rust on the suspension and crossmember are going to be expensive to replace (within the next 2-3 years). The dealer should be slapped for having the gall to call it a CPO car. I would pass on this one.

No need to thank me. Just hit the thanks button.
Deal Expert
Feb 26, 2004
26998 posts
4337 upvotes
That's why CPO = BS

It's nothing more than an excuse to jack up the price on a car that should be worth much less on the open used car market considering the poor condition it's in.

Good thing you posted on here beforehand and didn't get tricked into buying that piece of junk.
Banned
Oct 17, 2013
2337 posts
461 upvotes
T.O.
Toyota is joining Mazda on the quest towards rust?

I know a guy who never washes his car ever (lease)-- like ever. He says the rain will take care of it lol. Doesn't ever bother blasting off the salt with water in the spring.

This looks like it was owned by one of those people.....
Oct 21, 2014
4 posts
Aurora, ON
I understand ON winters and rust go hand in hand, right..but I was evaluating a purchase decision, with various factors at play and this is one of the factors. I also understand a vehicle can be maintained better with rust proofing, which the previous owner did not do. I am surprised though this was allowed to be a Toyota Certified Used Vehicle which I don't even know for sure, cos the dealer seemed to be playing it as a TCUV when it was probably not. Why I think this is so ? .. here is some addl background.

The dealer had me sign a purchase agreement stating this as a TCUV, but the day I went for delivery (last Fri), they tell me, I have to sign an ECP (Extra Care Program) to get the TCUV warranty, which struck me strange as I was under the impression the TCUV warranty stands on its own without needing the ECP. I called Toyota to figure this out, and they confirmed I don't need the ECP to get the TCUV warranty, unless I want to have ECP as an extra measure. So I told the dealer, that, and the sales Mgr still insisted that's how the TCUV program works.

Anyway, long story short when I kept insisting Toyota themselves told me that, the Sales Mgr got upset, kind of insulted me by getting short with me, and refunded my deposit of 1K they took at the time of signing the purchase agreement. I did get a call the following day from the General Manager, stating he understood why the deal fell thru, and he said I should not have to do the ECP, and they will just have the TCUV warranty with no extra cost (they will do some additional body work they said), but tomorrow (Monday) I am supposed to let him know if I will still want the vehicle, then he will proceed with the additional body work. I am no longer interested given all this plus the comments feedback I got here. Thanks DJ_Peanuts. I already did not trust this dealer anymore based on the way they dealt with me about the TCUV (this is NewMarket Toyota btw), but I thought I will give the General Mgr a chance since he was nice enough to call back to amend the relationship, but I know now they just want to unload the vehicle on me.
Deal Expert
Oct 7, 2010
15536 posts
5790 upvotes
It doesn't make sense for the top where the suspension connect to the body to have rust. Maybe it is not from regular use. Could it be a car that has been flooded and then fixed?
Banned
Oct 30, 2013
757 posts
51 upvotes
Why is there rust on the top mounts?

Bolts in the engine bay have rust

SUSPICIOUS
Feb 23, 2013
319 posts
199 upvotes
DJ_Peanuts22 wrote: That looks pretty bad for a 4-year old car which is probably why the original owner got rid of it. It's beyond saving even if you start rust proofing it now.

The rust on the suspension and crossmember are going to be expensive to replace (within the next 2-3 years). The dealer should be slapped for having the gall to call it a CPO car. I would pass on this one.

No need to thank me. Just hit the thanks button.

Are you kidding? You've clearly never been under a car that's been subject to a Canadian winter. That's minor surficial rust. The vast majority of automakers apply a *****ty coat of paint to undercarriage components. Anything steel and within reach of any road debris thrown up by the tires will lose a lot of the paint within an hour of winter driving and the iron in the steel oxidizes. None of the corrosion pictured will have any lasting impact on that Venza's longevity. Any used car in Ontario that's seen a day of winter is going to have similar corrosion.
Dec 2, 2006
514 posts
640 upvotes
Ottawa
nomorepenniestopinch wrote: Are you kidding? You've clearly never been under a car that's been subject to a Canadian winter. That's minor surficial rust. The vast majority of automakers apply a *****ty coat of paint to undercarriage components. Anything steel and within reach of any road debris thrown up by the tires will lose a lot of the paint within an hour of winter driving and the iron in the steel oxidizes. None of the corrosion pictured will have any lasting impact on that Venza's longevity. Any used car in Ontario that's seen a day of winter is going to have similar corrosion.
+1
Aug 15, 2014
561 posts
193 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
We have a 2010 venza bought it brand new, to date we don't have any of the issues you see in the picture, pass on this and move on to the next op
Dec 25, 2006
750 posts
785 upvotes
Winnipeg
nomorepenniestopinch wrote: Are you kidding? You've clearly never been under a car that's been subject to a Canadian winter. That's minor surficial rust. The vast majority of automakers apply a *****ty coat of paint to undercarriage components. Anything steel and within reach of any road debris thrown up by the tires will lose a lot of the paint within an hour of winter driving and the iron in the steel oxidizes. None of the corrosion pictured will have any lasting impact on that Venza's longevity. Any used car in Ontario that's seen a day of winter is going to have similar corrosion.
+2
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
33237 posts
21166 upvotes
Toronto
Run Forrest !!

Is that the only Venza in Canada ? I wonder why you need the potential rust problem down the road. Obviously, the car never had any TLC from the 1st owner.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41801 posts
30055 upvotes
Center of Universe
+3
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
13378 posts
8308 upvotes
Brampton
All of that is true. The bottom of the Venza looks great for a 4 year old Ontario car driven thru the winters, but the top of the strut towers should not be that rusty.
Aug 15, 2014
561 posts
193 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
thats where we got our venza, they are brutal after the sale though called for service and the person on the other end hung up on me, ever since we have taken our service to the aurora location.
Deal Guru
Mar 31, 2008
13011 posts
3095 upvotes
Toronto
Way too rusty for a car not that old.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)