Seeking Bike purchase advice

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 12th, 2018 1:02 pm
[OP]
Oct 14, 2017
70 posts
6 upvotes

Seeking Bike purchase advice

Hi all. I’m about to make my first bike purchase in a very long time. The bike choice is the Giant Roam 2. No changing my mind there....

As a careful shopper, I’ve found a place in Pickering that has the bike on sale. The website has a HST off sale. Sort of a long story, but the website was misleading, but they are going to honour the price. Because I do prefer to shop local, (I live in London) I called around and two other local shops would match the price. The thing is.....the Pickering location comes with 5 years of unlimited servicing while the local shops offer one year.

My question is....would you go with the Pickering shop with the five year service included or the local with one year? I do have a sister in Whitby and do go there a few times a year.

Thanks for your advice in advance.
3 replies
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
20413 posts
5237 upvotes
Toronto
no brainer ... take the 5 yrs .. saving you probably around $500 right there easily
Deal Guru
Oct 5, 2008
10089 posts
2601 upvotes
Toronto
The question is whether or not you will take advantage oft he 5 years free service.

When your bike breaks or needs a tune up...are you seriously going to wait until the next time you visit your sister to get service? You will likely bring it to a local bike shop (LBS) to get back on the road quicker.

You will end up paying the local shop for service anyway.

Then there's the issue of planning your visits to coincide with the bike service appointment or vice versa.

If you visit your sister for a few days each time, that may work, if it's day trips, it likely won't.
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2004
2379 posts
342 upvotes
Mississauga
Shop local for the convenience. When they get to know you at your local bike shop, you will get free cheaper tune ups and advice.