Computers & Electronics

SEIKI BD-Live Blu-Ray Player BD660 Info/Support Thread

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 14th, 2015 11:00 pm
Tags:
Dec 19, 2012
4 posts
Canada
I have a similar issue and was hoping for more insight. I have a non-DRM protected .m4v file which will not play on the BD660, either from disc or USB. I ran the file through Handbrake, converting to .mp4 and .mkv, and neither played. I ran both of those Handbrake files through mkvtoolnix (having first read through this thread) to try to fix the compression header issue but again I get the "video resolution not supported" message from the Seiki. I've read that this Seiki supports a whole myriad of file formats (including .m4v and .mkv) but for some reason I can't get this to work.

davesnothere said the seiki only supports standard mp4 formats and I noticed that my original file has a resolution of 1916x1076. Could this be the problem?

Any suggestions would be most appreciated. I'm also a bit of a noob with this stuff so please be kind to the less technically inclined.

Thanks!
davesnothere wrote: I think the seiki only supports standard mp4 formats (380p, 720p, etc.). From what I remember, it had trouble with 480p files? As for MKV's, make sure your files do not have Header Stripping (aka Header Compression) and do not have the L5.x profile. Use mediainfo to check for these things:
http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en
You can just right-click any file/folder and get the media info. Awesome program.
Dec 19, 2012
4 posts
Canada
Ok, I've made a little headway. Using handbrake, if I change the video codec from H.264 (x264) to MPEG-4 (FFmpeg) I get a resultant file in .mp4 format that plays on the Seiki BD660. Of course, I did this with the first chapter only just to test and it seemed to work great. When I encode the entire file using the same settings as the test my resultant .mp4 file gets burned to disk (using Toast) and when tried on the Seiki I get the dreaded "video resolution not supported". Does anyone have a clue why this is happening?

thereever wrote: I have a similar issue and was hoping for more insight. I have a non-DRM protected .m4v file which will not play on the BD660, either from disc or USB. I ran the file through Handbrake, converting to .mp4 and .mkv, and neither played. I ran both of those Handbrake files through mkvtoolnix (having first read through this thread) to try to fix the compression header issue but again I get the "video resolution not supported" message from the Seiki. I've read that this Seiki supports a whole myriad of file formats (including .m4v and .mkv) but for some reason I can't get this to work.

davesnothere said the seiki only supports standard mp4 formats and I noticed that my original file has a resolution of 1916x1076. Could this be the problem?

Any suggestions would be most appreciated. I'm also a bit of a noob with this stuff so please be kind to the less technically inclined.

Thanks!
Banned
Oct 15, 2005
12954 posts
1617 upvotes
North York
are these up for sale in walmart?
i just got an alien anthology blu ray but its region locked to b2.

also if you want to redo mkv's into something playable.
the best thing to do is to use my mp4box gui to demux the mkv.
this will give you both video and audio tracks in their original form.
you can then do whatever you want with it without losing any quality.
you can also mux files together... so lets say for instance you have an mkv.
inside are 2 tracks... 1 x264 and 1 aac track. once you have them both out you can then plop those into an mp4 container.
or you can convert the AAC to MP3 or the x264 to WMV and so on.

you can get it here http://my-mp4box-gui.zymichost.com/
Dec 19, 2012
4 posts
Canada
Thanks, daywalker and infamouskid, for your suggestions. I followed the links you both provided for freemake and mp4box and they are Windows apps. I guess I forgot to mention that I am working in OSX. I don't have bootcamp or access to a Windows machine.

Here's my rig:
MBP15", OSX 10.7.5, 2.4GHz Intel Core i5, 8GB 1067 MHz DDR3

Anyone else have any Mac platform suggestions?

Thanks!
Deal Expert
Jun 27, 2004
15212 posts
4404 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
Don't know if it will make a difference, but MKVMerge (MKVToolnix) lets you change the display resolution. Load the file, select the video stream, and go to the Format Specific Options tab. Just enter 1920x1080.
Dec 19, 2012
4 posts
Canada
Thanks rabbit. I'll give your suggestion a go and report on the results.
rabbit wrote: Don't know if it will make a difference, but MKVMerge (MKVToolnix) lets you change the display resolution. Load the file, select the video stream, and go to the Format Specific Options tab. Just enter 1920x1080.
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2010
25984 posts
10377 upvotes
Anyone know if this will play an h.264 .ts file captured using the Hauppage 1212? Just got one and will start capping soon but don't want to have to burn to AVCHD unless absolutely necessary...
Banned
Oct 15, 2005
12954 posts
1617 upvotes
North York
yes it will work but you need to put the .ts into an acceptable container.
either mkv or mp4.
DougO wrote: Anyone know if this will play an h.264 .ts file captured using the Hauppage 1212? Just got one and will start capping soon but don't want to have to burn to AVCHD unless absolutely necessary...
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2010
25984 posts
10377 upvotes
Perhaps then as an AVCHD ISO? Haven't been to the company website in ages. Wonder if they have any new product or if this little gem has been discontinued? Most players now lack the component outputs on this unit which was a plus for some folks.
Aug 29, 2010
918 posts
132 upvotes
I downloaded an avi: Puss in Boots, it played video well but no sound. I played it on my computer, it has sound. This is the only one with sound issue though.Is this because of the firmware update or anyone has same issue?
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2010
25984 posts
10377 upvotes
songzier wrote: I downloaded an avi: Puss in Boots, it played video well but no sound. I played it on my computer, it has sound. This is the only one with sound issue though.Is this because of the firmware update or anyone has same issue?
Run the file with media info pro and let us know what is says. Otherwise, could be encoded with a codec the Seiki doesn't have...
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2005
1196 posts
92 upvotes
Toronto
Does anyone have a backup of the newer firmware. i want to update it, i have 4.2.6 however all the sites are down that had it.

thanks a bunch.
Before you embark on a journey of revenge, dig two graves.
Confucius

Heatware
Feb 2, 2009
144 posts
34 upvotes
Toronto
I have been to the Seiki site, and it looks like they do not make dvd players any longer. Can anyone confirm this?
Jul 25, 2007
21 posts
2 upvotes
Earth
I need some serious help. I disconnect the power and the HDMI cable for my Seiki BD660 for about 15 min., after I plug it back in. I no longer get 1080p on my blu-ray player (I have 1080p for 10 months), and it dropped to 480i. Reload factory default value does not make any difference. Tabbing the HDMI button doesn't work. Any resolution higher than 480i, my screen blinks on / off.

Can't find any firmware upgrade, the firmware upgrade page don't even show this model.

Can any1 help?
Deal Guru
Mar 4, 2004
10226 posts
3142 upvotes
Montreal
happy hopping wrote: I need some serious help. I disconnect the power and the HDMI cable for my Seiki BD660 for about 15 min., after I plug it back in. I no longer get 1080p on my blu-ray player (I have 1080p for 10 months), and it dropped to 480i. Reload factory default value does not make any difference. Tabbing the HDMI button doesn't work. Any resolution higher than 480i, my screen blinks on / off.

Can't find any firmware upgrade, the firmware upgrade page don't even show this model.

Can any1 help?
Change the HDMI cable and the port?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 27, 2006
5958 posts
2745 upvotes
Not so easy there Ma…
happy hopping wrote: I need some serious help. I disconnect the power and the HDMI cable for my Seiki BD660 for about 15 min., after I plug it back in. I no longer get 1080p on my blu-ray player (I have 1080p for 10 months), and it dropped to 480i. Reload factory default value does not make any difference. Tabbing the HDMI button doesn't work. Any resolution higher than 480i, my screen blinks on / off.

Can any1 help?
Isn't there a setting in the menu?

I gave mine to a relative. She was having an issue with the TV today. The screen was blank when switched to the Seiki blu ray player and "no signal" on blu-ray startup. I tried changing the HDMI cable but no luck. Then switched to component cables and it seemed to work OK and the picture still looked great on blu ray. Don't think it was a problem with the TV but had no time to troubleshoot.
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2010
25984 posts
10377 upvotes
This I did not know:

"The Seiki BD-660 is out of production and the Seiki SR212S will soon be going out of production

The Seiki BD-660 profile 2.0 Blu-ray player was forced out of production due to the AACS mandate that banned 1080i component video outputs, just like all other brands of Blu-ray players that were forced to stop producing Blu-ray players with 1080i component video outputs after December 31st of 2010. Now most new 2013 Blu-ray players have no analog video outputs at all including no 480i composite video outputs, because the AACS licensing agreements requires the analog video outputs to not exist on any new Blu-ray player manufactured after December 31st 2013.
http://www.zdnet.com/blog/hardware/drm- ... -hole/4638

So back around December of 2010 when the Seiki company was forced to stop making the BD-660 due to the AACS licensing agreements, they designed the SR212S which is a lower cost Blu-ray player that is only profile 1.1 bonusview with no component video outputs (they did not need to drop profile 2.0 BD-LIVE, but they did to make the Blu-ray player cheaper in cost). However, the Seiki SR212S will be forced out of production in the month of December 2013 because it has a 480i composite video output jack.

That means in 2014 or sooner we will either see no more Seiki Blu-ray players or Seiki will make a new Blu-ray player without any analog video outputs (just a HDMI output for video)."

These have been available in the US for the past few years it seems but are now discontinued. Too bad as I would have bought one in a heartbeat. My BD660 is still going strong though. I just wanted to test out the latest model.
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2008
2363 posts
175 upvotes
DougO wrote: This I did not know:

"The Seiki BD-660 is out of production and the Seiki SR212S will soon be going out of production
Glad I bought three when I had the chance. The Blu-Ray folks really do seem to be trying hard to kill the format.
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2010
25984 posts
10377 upvotes
movieman wrote: Glad I bought three when I had the chance. The Blu-Ray folks really do seem to be trying hard to kill the format.
read: Sony...is trying to make everyone comply.