Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
eBay.ca

Seiko Prospex SBDC001 "Sumo" Automatic 200m Scuba Dive Watch

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 17th, 2014 5:03 pm
Tags:
Jun 11, 2011
355 posts
92 upvotes
BURNABY

[eBay.ca] Seiko Prospex SBDC001 "Sumo" Automatic 200m Scuba Dive Watch

Product Description:

This is a highly coveted Seiko automatic dive watch that has been nicknamed Sumo. It features a Seiko 23 jewel automatic (6R15) movement, a date display, highly luminous hands and markers treated with Lumibrite for awesome low light visibility, a screw down offset crown, a uni-directional diving bezel with luminous PIP at 12:00, Hardlex mineral crystal and a solid etched, screw-down case back. The 6R15 Seiko movement is self-winding and it can be hand wound. The movement has a 50 hour power reserve and it is accurate to +25 to -15 seconds per day. Comes on a stainless steel bracelet with a double locking fold-over push-button clasp with a divers extension. It includes manual and a yellow Seiko Prospex box. Features Movement: Seiko 23-Jewel Automatic 6R15 (self-winding) Case: Stainless steel, 44mm x 13.3mm thick. Back: Engraved screw-in back Crystal: Hardlex mineral Band: Stainless steel bracelet, push-button deployant clasp. 20mm lug Water Resistant: 200 meters Warranty: 2 Years
37 replies
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2009
8543 posts
5560 upvotes
Trudostan
That's a decent deal from Ian, but with the US/CAD exchange rate not so awesome. The price hasn't been adjusted to reflect the yen/USD exchange rate, it should be something more like $410 USD, but then the seller also likely tacks on the ebay/paypal fees and a bit something extra. You can get it for about $460 or 480 CAD after PP/exchange fees from Rakuten (http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/seik ... m/sbdc003/ ) or try negotiating with some of the other well known JDM sellers, as long as they charge in yen and not USD.

There is always used too, if you can wait and get lucky. Just missed a black sumo in near mint condition for $340 shipped a day ago on WUS.
SAMSUNG SUCKS! NO SSD WARRANTY IN CANADA > https://forums.redflagdeals.com/has-any ... d-2098075/
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2009
8543 posts
5560 upvotes
Trudostan
Forgot to mention Long island watch has it for $499USD + plus free US shipping, if that's an option for you. I spoke with the owner (Marc) and unfortunately no further discounts available on it, but you do get a bit more peace of mind in case you need need to ship it for warranty service.

http://www.longislandwatch.com/Seiko_SB ... bdc001.htm OOS at the moment
SAMSUNG SUCKS! NO SSD WARRANTY IN CANADA > https://forums.redflagdeals.com/has-any ... d-2098075/
Jun 11, 2011
355 posts
92 upvotes
BURNABY
M1K3Z0R wrote: That's a decent deal from Ian, but with the US/CAD exchange rate not so awesome. You can get it for about $460 or 480 CAD after PP/exchange fees from Rakuten (http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/seik ... m/sbdc003/ ) or try negotiating with some of the other well known JDM sellers, as long as they charge in yen and not USD.

There is always used too, if you can wait and get lucky. Just missed a black sumo in near mint condition for $340 shipped a day ago on WUS.
Thanks! Wish I wait to place my order until I see your reply. Anyway, still happy with my purchase. My next purchase goal is Seiko shogun. Keep us updated if you find some awesome deals.
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2009
8543 posts
5560 upvotes
Trudostan
MacbookPro2004 wrote: Thanks! Wish I wait to place my order until I see your reply. Anyway, still happy with my purchase. My next purchase goal is Seiko shogun. Keep us updated if you find some awesome deals.
Yeah even at ~$540CAD it's still a good deal, it's a lot of watch for the money (some say best diver under $1000). Note it's always possible to get hit with tax/brokerage since Japan sellers generally don't underdeclare the items.

Good call on the shogun, it's on my list as well. I usually don't like submariner homages but it's really well executed and the coated titanium on it is allegedly very scratch resistant. The SARB065 "cocktail time" is also on my list, I considered it vs the sumo but the sumo is more versatile whereas the cocktail time is extremely dressy. The dial is amazing though, even if it has no lume.
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2005
2072 posts
440 upvotes
GTA
What colours do these come in? Amazon.com has a black one but is it the same? The blue is labelled SBDC003 at Amazon.
Jun 11, 2011
355 posts
92 upvotes
BURNABY
lg777 wrote: What colours do these come in? Amazon.com has a black one but is it the same? The blue is labelled SBDC003 at Amazon.
SBDC001 -- black dial sumo
SBDC003 -- blue dial sumo
SBDC007 -- black dial shogun, premium version, made of Titaninum, double the price of sumo, but lots of people claim that it is worth every penny.
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2009
8543 posts
5560 upvotes
Trudostan
MacbookPro2004 wrote: SBDC001 -- black dial sumo
SBDC007 -- black dial shogun, premium version, made of Titaninum, double the price of sumo, but lots of people claim that it is worth every penny.
Don't forget the SBDC005 - orange sumo. It should be cheaper since it comes on a rubber strap, and allegedly was recently discontinued (unofficially). Worth noting the stock bracelet included with the blue/black costs at least $130 more if you buy it separately for the orange sumo.
Jun 11, 2011
355 posts
92 upvotes
BURNABY
M1K3Z0R wrote: Don't forget the SBDC005 - orange sumo. It should be cheaper since it comes on a rubber strap, and allegedly was recently discontinued (unofficially). Worth noting the stock bracelet included with the blue/black costs at least $130 more if you buy it separately for the orange sumo.
I'm fine with the rubber strap, which is ok for a diver watch. But the orange dial make me feel too young, even childish. Might be a good fit for next time disney trip :-)
Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2014
3871 posts
1959 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
MacbookPro2004 wrote: SBDC007 -- black dial shogun, premium version, made of Titaninum, double the price of sumo, but lots of people claim that it is worth every penny.
I've seen one in person and it's outstanding. I can't bring myself to spend $1000 on a Seiko dive-watch when I don't dive.
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2005
2072 posts
440 upvotes
GTA
MacbookPro2004 wrote: SBDC001 -- black dial sumo
Rakuten has the shogun for $805 USD...seems like a good price but I guess it depends on the actual seller like Amazon Marketplace. Otherwise it's around $950 at Seiya or ibuy.jp. Higuchi doesn't carry it anymore from what I've read. Hmmm, temped. After so many years, I never really bought a watch for myself. I always got a gift and they happen to be Seiko 5 Automatics, 23 Jewels 7S36 Superior. One is 5 bar, the other is 10 bar.
Jul 26, 2005
383 posts
170 upvotes
M1K3Z0R wrote: Forgot to mention Long island watch has it for $499USD + plus free US shipping, if that's an option for you. I spoke with the owner (Marc) and unfortunately no further discounts available on it, but you do get a bit more peace of mind in case you need need to ship it for warranty service.

http://www.longislandwatch.com/Seiko_SB ... bdc001.htm OOS at the moment
You can try GET5 for 5% off most in-stock watches at LIW.
Dec 12, 2013
346 posts
229 upvotes
Tavistock
Why do thy call this a dive watch when there is nothing on it that is useful to a diver? ie: depth, safety stops? All I see is that its water resistant to a depth you cant get to anyways.
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2011
1167 posts
1232 upvotes
Pearson
Nothing hot here. This is the regular price for this watch.
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2009
8543 posts
5560 upvotes
Trudostan
Drewmar wrote: Why do thy call this a dive watch when there is nothing on it that is useful to a diver? ie: depth, safety stops? All I see is that its water resistant to a depth you cant get to anyways.
True, it won't replace a dive computer and most people who buy one just desk dive or won't take it much deeper than a hot tub or pool - but it's ISO certified so if you really want to dive or use it as a backup you can.

IMO it's more about the classic-inspired style, movement, and company heritage, or just man jewelery. Most of the same reasons apply with cars (do you buy a ferrari because you need it to race to work?) and other things, we buy stuff cause we like it for some reason and not due to need.
Deal Addict
Aug 6, 2005
1686 posts
109 upvotes
livemink wrote: For around the same price id recommend going Steinhart ocean 1 (German company) or Christoper Ward (British), both Swiss Made made dive watches and amazing for the price. May get dinged on duties but still really good for the price.

http://www.gnomonwatches.com/watches/st ... r%5B%5D=51
As someone that has owned a few micro brands in the past and present. I would take the Sumo over most of them (currently have an orange Sumo, had a blue one before). In house movement, unique design with clear lineage, excellent build quality and attention to detail. It's a genuinely nice watch.

Micro brands come and go, Seiko has been making dive watches for fifty years.

PS, Swiss made means very little if anything. Look into the Swiss law that outlines what requirements a watch needs to be called Swiss made (yes, they have a law for this exact thing)
Nov 21, 2006
742 posts
630 upvotes
Drewmar wrote: Why do thy call this a dive watch when there is nothing on it that is useful to a diver? ie: depth, safety stops? All I see is that its water resistant to a depth you cant get to anyways.
Because if you plan your dive properly you don't need anything more then this watch and a clear mind
Most of the divers will use a diving computer which makes thing easier but if that fails this watch might save you life
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2009
8543 posts
5560 upvotes
Trudostan
bunga wrote: As someone that has owned a few micro brands in the past and present. I would take the Sumo over most of them (currently have an orange Sumo, had a blue one before). In house movement, unique design with clear lineage, excellent build quality and attention to detail. It's a genuinely nice watch.

Micro brands come and go, Seiko has been making dive watches for fifty years.

PS, Swiss made means very little if anything. Look into the Swiss law that outlines what requirements a watch needs to be called Swiss made (yes, they have a law for this exact thing)
^ This. Also, from what I have observed over at the WUS forums, the Sumo tends to hold its value fairly well and almost always sells quickly. CWard, Steinhart, and Squales don't fare so well if you are considering selling it in the future.

Although in terms of other alternatives, the Squale Atmos 20 is also an excellent sub hommage at around the same price, really nice blue dial and sapphire crystal too. They have some serious heritage, but also a few too many QC issues for me to buy without seeing it in person.
Deal Expert
Feb 13, 2012
16150 posts
5671 upvotes
VANCOUVER
Does the "Prospex" name mean anything? ie. is it a more upscale line, compared to, say, the Monster dive watch?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)