Shopping Discussion

Self-checkout machines that accept coins?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 26th, 2018 11:54 am
Apr 13, 2018
8 posts
4 upvotes

Self-checkout machines that accept coins?

Are there any self checkout machines left that accept coins? In which stores can I find them?
Thread Summary
Self-checkout machines that accept coins
20 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2006
1215 posts
661 upvotes
HowToSandwich wrote: I think Superstore's accepts coins.
most or all dont accept cash whatsoever.

Safeways still accept cash (atleast in my location)
One other possibility may be canadian tire but I dont go there often so it certainly may have changed by now
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
21264 posts
6247 upvotes
Poormond Hill
The self checkouts at the Walmart on hwy 7/silver linden in Richmond Hill accepts coins.
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
Sep 21, 2017
483 posts
502 upvotes
Vancouver
London drugs and save on foods. around Vancouver superstore and loblaws are card only . Walmart it depends, the one in coquitlam centre has one exit with only self check out so they take cash/coins but others do not.
Nov 22, 2010
759 posts
168 upvotes
Toronto
The older machines at Metro still accept cash.
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2008
2095 posts
129 upvotes
North York
Walmart near Keele and Finch has self check out machines that accept coins.
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2014
3252 posts
3029 upvotes
Vancouver(ish)
munchkinguy wrote: Are there any self checkout machines left that accept coins? In which stores can I find them?
Are you planning on laundering your drug money? :)
Proud RFD member since January 31, 2007. Feel free to add 3,034 to my post count.
Apr 13, 2018
8 posts
4 upvotes
ALLCAPS wrote: Are you planning on laundering your drug money? :)
Just trying to get into rid of my pile of change. Coinstar charges commission, so I'd rather not use their machine. The Superstore and Save On Foods near me do not accept coins, but Safeway does, though you have to put the coins in one-at-a-time.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 8, 2006
5666 posts
656 upvotes
Toronto
munchkinguy wrote: Just trying to get into rid of my pile of change. Coinstar charges commission, so I'd rather not use their machine. The Superstore and Save On Foods near me do not accept coins, but Safeway does, though you have to put the coins in one-at-a-time.
Can you not roll them and go to a bank? I don't think there are any that you don't have to put it in coin by coin. Coinstar would be the fastest or purchase one of those sorters.
Deal Addict
Nov 4, 2011
1479 posts
1678 upvotes
YYZ
killoverme wrote: Can you not roll them and go to a bank? I don't think there are any that you don't have to put it in coin by coin. Coinstar would be the fastest or purchase one of those sorters.
I believe Target (when that was still a thing) took fistfuls of change if I'm remembering correctly. They're few and far between but do exist.
Bell - Unlimited Canada Wide Calling, Intl Text + 6GB of Data - $50
Apr 13, 2018
8 posts
4 upvotes
Rolling coins takes even longer than putting one coin at a time into the checkout machine!
Apr 13, 2018
8 posts
4 upvotes
I managed to get 100 pennies into the self-checkout at Safeway before an employee basically told me that I should stop holding up the line. I'd call that a success.
Deal Guru
Jan 11, 2004
10408 posts
1123 upvotes
Toronto
vending machines are good choice, or if you want bigger sized coins try your local landurymat.

I know homedepot and canadiantire accepts coins.
"When operating the viewfinder diopter control with your eye to the viewfinder, care should be taken not to put your finger in your eye accidentally."
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
35606 posts
18999 upvotes
killoverme wrote: Can you not roll them and go to a bank? I don't think there are any that you don't have to put it in coin by coin. Coinstar would be the fastest or purchase one of those sorters.
The problem is, even banks charge you a fee for this stuff these days. IMO the government should not allow that crap but the reality is some banks are probably considering charging you a "building fee" for walking into one of their fine establishments :rolleyes:

I'm surprised the rare machine that does take change would take pennies though--I would have thought they'd have programmed them to spit them out these days.
Deal Addict
Feb 8, 2015
1295 posts
568 upvotes
North York, ON
A few weeks ago rolled up our coins and total= $1500.00+. Once I got a system going the rolling went quite quick but hauling the rolls into the bank was another story LOL.
Jul 20, 2018
19 posts
11 upvotes
While I was in the US I get lots of small US counsel! No banks here will accept US coins anymore so I tried it at a WM all of their self checkout machines will accept coins. This is a great way to get rid of coins before you come home to Canada Regional Indicator Symbol Letters Ca

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)