Shopping Discussion

Self Checkout: You're not saving any money, you're just making the stores more rich

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 18th, 2018 4:26 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 24, 2015
1571 posts
240 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON

Self Checkout: You're not saving any money, you're just making the stores more rich

So a lot of retail stores now have self checkouts, the real reason behind it is NOT convenience, its to cut employee hours and have "some" of their jobs replaced by automation. The real winner here is the store owners, they dont have to pay wages, benefits, unions, etc. Actually not just the robots, but we as consumers are doing the cashier's job too by picking up the items, scanning them and placing them in the bag, but we're not getting paid to do their job so atleast give us some discount, no?
Hi
128 replies
Oct 5, 2014
831 posts
1107 upvotes
AB
No one is forcing you to use self checkout. And the machines are manufactured and assembled by people too. Software and regular maintenance is on top of it. Yes, in the end the store will save way more money than having cashiers but remember it is a business and they are in to make money (lots of money).
Mar 6, 2015
166 posts
332 upvotes
New Brunswick
I'm also not paid to know or learn the produce codes. But by sheer coincidence the ONE code I do know is usually the cheapest by weight in a given store.
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2009
2880 posts
1177 upvotes
GoodFellaz wrote:
Aug 1st, 2018 12:08 pm
So a lot of retail stores now have self checkouts, the real reason behind it is NOT convenience, its to cut employee hours and have "some" of their jobs replaced by automation. The real winner here is the store owners, they dont have to pay wages, benefits, unions, etc. Actually not just the robots, but we as consumers are doing the cashier's job too by picking up the items, scanning them and placing them in the bag, but we're not getting paid to do their job so atleast give us some discount, no?
Well maybe the price won't increase for products then ... which would be a saving.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 24, 2015
1571 posts
240 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
pootza wrote:
Aug 1st, 2018 1:02 pm
Well maybe the price won't increase for products then ... which would be a saving.
Thats highly unlikely
Here's another question for you, can I put "Cashier Experience" on my resume now that I do almost the same job as the cashier at Loblaws? the only difference is I do not take the money out of the register and give it to the office clerk to deposit in the safe, and I do not get a pay check,. but other than that its virtually the same job as them
Hi
Deal Guru
Aug 6, 2001
12426 posts
1104 upvotes
Mississauga
The Walmart Self-check out lanes are a lesson in bad UX. For god sake, having a sign that says you are being recorded in RED is not customer friendly. If folks are going to steal, they will steal either way.
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2010
4010 posts
876 upvotes
Toronto
bunmin wrote:
Aug 1st, 2018 12:38 pm
I'm also not paid to know or learn the produce codes. But by sheer coincidence the ONE code I do know is usually the cheapest by weight in a given store.
I'm sure if they did a study, stores would be shocked by the almost negligible amount of organic produce being purchased via the self checkouts.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
7108 posts
1393 upvotes
Mississauga
I really do not like the way cashiers handle my groceries. I'd rather self checkout myself.
My food blog - Reggie The Food Critic.
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2011
3331 posts
1043 upvotes
Mississauga
I can get through self-checkout much more quickly than a regular checkout. That's a savings of my time so that counts for something.

Only thing I don't like is I can't self-checkout beer. I guess that's to keep the underagers from sneaking out with purchases.
Deal Guru
Jun 12, 2007
12904 posts
2439 upvotes
London
Didn't people say the same thing about Banks and ATM machines when they first came out?
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2007
3565 posts
948 upvotes
I much prefer self checkout, I just hate when they randomly stop and call for the attendant for no reason
Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again. - Andre Gide
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2011
1644 posts
1353 upvotes
Montreal
bunmin wrote:
How does it feel to know you are a thief? No need to answer, as it's only a rhetorical question.
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
17783 posts
2470 upvotes
GTA West
wamwam wrote:
No one is forcing you to use self checkout. And the machines are manufactured and assembled by people too. Software and regular maintenance is on top of it. Yes, in the end the store will save way more money than having cashiers but remember it is a business and they are in to make money (lots of money).
Exactly. The Kathleen Wynne minimum wage increase was a brilliant stimulus plan... For the automation industry! 🤣
Tuition to the School of Life is not tax deductible.
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2011
1644 posts
1353 upvotes
Montreal
wamwam wrote:
(...) And the machines are manufactured and assembled by people too. Software and (...)
... in the USA.
Sep 21, 2017
62 posts
22 upvotes
Vancouver
I find the self check out is so much faster especially with a few items because there's usually like 8 of them and only 1 express till with a cashier. You also don't have to use them but it's good to have a choice.

At places like the movie theater I literally haven't gone to the cashier in years. The lineup for the cashier is always so much slower than the screens.