• Oct 19th, 2015 9:30 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Dec 9, 2007
502 posts
186 upvotes

Self Driving Car..Who's at fault?

Is the manufacturer at fault if the software causes an accident, runs a red light, rear ends a vehice etc. I figure since I'm a passenger sitting in the driver seat, I'm not at fault, since I was not driving the car. I don't know what the reasoning,logic, or answer is. If someone can shed some light on this matter...
32 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2014
1239 posts
154 upvotes
Mississauga
The driver of the self driving car would be (If that makes sense). The driver is responsible for the safe operation of the vehicle.
Nov 14, 2008
567 posts
37 upvotes
SuburbanGangster wrote:
Feb 21st, 2015 10:39 am
The driver of the self driving car would be (If that makes sense). The driver is responsible for the safe operation of the vehicle.
Yup. I bet there will be a disclaimer saying that the person in the vehicle takes all the responsibilities.
Jun 7, 2014
437 posts
267 upvotes
Brampton, ON
Sounds like this might be a homework question.

As of right now there is no answer, when self driving cars become available to the masses, you will see the creation of laws and precedence within the court systems.
Signature Policy: Do not spam or advertise
Feb 23, 2010
174 posts
11 upvotes
when an airplane falls out of the sky because of the autopilot.. The PILOT is at fault for not taking proactive, preventive and remedial actions to stop accident.....

You think you'll be able to push the button and sleep behind the wheel???

You will be found GUILTY!
"oh no officer, I didn't run the red light, the car ran the red light.." "people don't kill people, guns and bullets kill people..."

***BUT*** Many class action lawsuits will be filed against all the manufacturers...

How this will end up?? That'll be a fun thing to watch...
Nov 5, 2013
624 posts
122 upvotes
yummie wrote:
Feb 21st, 2015 10:34 am
Is the manufacturer at fault if the software causes an accident, runs a red light, rear ends a vehice etc. I figure since I'm a passenger sitting in the driver seat, I'm not at fault, since I was not driving the car. I don't know what the reasoning,logic, or answer is. If someone can shed some light on this matter...

I saw a news clipping the other day, and the car manufactuer rep replied to the news reporter's same question that it would be car manufacturer's fault. I can see that logic because it is the faulty software that caused the car to run the red light or to rear end another car, that the driver wouldnt have enough time to prevent the accident. In reality though, the insurance company would bump up the premium after the accident.
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2008
2363 posts
173 upvotes
SuburbanGangster wrote:
Feb 21st, 2015 10:39 am
In which case, no-one in their right mind will use a self-driving car that makes them responsible for Google's software bugs.
Penalty Box
Dec 27, 2013
8003 posts
3957 upvotes
Toronto
lottomax wrote:
Feb 21st, 2015 11:10 am
when an airplane falls out of the sky because of the autopilot.. The PILOT is at fault for not taking proactive, preventive and remedial actions to stop accident.....

"oh no officer, I didn't run the red light, the car ran the red light.." "people don't kill people, guns and bullets kill people..."

***BUT*** Many class action lawsuits will be filed against all the manufacturers...

Actually there are instances where Auto pilot was the reason for the airplane crash and the pilot was not hung.

Also, once the car passes the point of no return, you can't react fast enough to stop the accident from happening. e.g. running a red light..

I would say that an airplane with an autopilot malfunction is EASIER to correct than a CAR with an auto pilot malfunction.. Unlike a plane, a car is usually 1 or 2 seconds from another vehicle, if not less in some instances, and usually in very close proximity to other things..

An airplane while if it was put into a deep dive or something would be difficult to recover, there is far more likelyhood to recover an autopilot error in a plane than in a car.
Deal Expert
May 14, 2008
41820 posts
1719 upvotes
Ali proudly stood up…
lottomax wrote:

The manufacturers need to get this perfect right from the off, or many will go under due to all the ensuing lawsuits. I'm not sure this is a smart direction for them to go. If people really don't want to drive they should go by transit/taxi/chauffeur instead, according to their finances.

I do like the new safety features coming through though. If they can drastically cut down on the number of collisions and other accidents that's obviously great for all of us.

Personally though, my own priority would be to get rid of the windshield-mounted rear view mirror. I can't adjust the height of mine like I could on previous cars, and it's actually close to my eye level, so if anything it obstructs my view. A small LCD screen on the dash linked to a rear-view camera could well be the solution. I could see that being an easy- and cheap-to-implement solution, and far more useful than the gazillion-airbags "solution" currently being pursued (which it could be argued actually results in even more accidents by careless drivers).
12 months for condemning rape. 6 months for calling violent thugs "nasty". WTH? Is this IS?
Penalty Box
Dec 27, 2013
8003 posts
3957 upvotes
Toronto
Tornado F2 wrote:
Feb 21st, 2015 2:08 pm
The manufacturers need to get this perfect right from the off, or many will go under due to all the ensuing lawsuits. I'm not sure this is a smart direction for them to go. If people really don't want to drive they should go by transit/taxi/chauffeur instead, according to their finances.

I do like the new safety features coming through though. If they can drastically cut down on the number of collisions and other accidents that's obviously great for all of us.

Personally though, my own priority would be to get rid of the windshield-mounted rear view mirror. I can't adjust the height of mine like I could on previous cars, and it's actually close to my eye level, so if anything it obstructs my view. A small LCD screen on the dash linked to a rear-view camera could well be the solution. I could see that being an easy- and cheap-to-implement solution, and far more useful than the gazillion-airbags "solution" currently being pursued (which it could be argued actually results in even more accidents by careless drivers).
In that movie Need for Speed, the guy from breaking bad is driving like a 2 million $$$ mustang and if you notice it doesn't have side mirrors either. It had a heads up display that gave him the side view/blindspot view.

That would be amazing in all cars. If you didn't need to do a blind spot check, that would save you 1/4 a second from turning your head and losing focus of whats infront of you.

I was watching some TLC show about driving in diffrente countries and the guy was driving in India and he said, If you check your blind spot, you will get into an accident.
Deal Expert
May 14, 2008
41820 posts
1719 upvotes
Ali proudly stood up…
fungery wrote:
Feb 21st, 2015 11:20 am
I saw a news clipping the other day, and the car manufactuer rep replied to the news reporter's same question that it would be car manufacturer's fault. I can see that logic because it is the faulty software that caused the car to run the red light or to rear end another car, that the driver wouldnt have enough time to prevent the accident. In reality though, the insurance company would bump up the premium after the accident.
The driver may not be around to be blamed for his car's error if he's asleep when the car kills him, and possibly others caught up in the accident. That's why I for one am in no rush to ride in a driverless car. I know tech, and the current limitations.
12 months for condemning rape. 6 months for calling violent thugs "nasty". WTH? Is this IS?
Deal Expert
May 14, 2008
41820 posts
1719 upvotes
Ali proudly stood up…
daivey wrote:
Feb 21st, 2015 2:11 pm
In that movie Need for Speed, the guy from breaking bad is driving like a 2 million $$$ mustang and if you notice it doesn't have side mirrors either. It had a heads up display that gave him the side view/blindspot view.

That would be amazing in all cars. If you didn't need to do a blind spot check, that would save you 1/4 a second from turning your head and losing focus of whats infront of you.

I was watching some TLC show about driving in diffrente countries and the guy was driving in India and he said, If you check your blind spot, you will get into an accident.
Yeah, side mirrors could be dispensed with too. And better yet, AI could be built into the system to audibly alert drivers to dangers they may somehow have still missed. This is technology that I would be pursuing if I was an engineer at a car company. If possible I would implement it (and forward-looking auto-stop technology) first in transport truck fleets, to validate the tech before putting it in millions of passenger vehicles.

Sadly, even if the auto-safety tech is perfected in passenger cars, we'll then end up with even-more-dopey pedestrians stepping out carelessly into traffic, resulting in traffic stoppages, and no doubt fatalities when they step out in front of non-automated older cars. Some people just can't be helped.
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2011
1016 posts
213 upvotes
london
[quote="Tornado F2" post_id="21687455" time="1424545735" user_id="159657"]

QUOTE]

really? I don't at all
so many stupid commercials too about them

like the ford with the guy leaving work late - he backs out of his parking spot without looking and his car warns him

I forget which other commercial where the 'guardian angel' comes in too late but the car stopped from rear ending someone

its just making a driver less aware and can say 'oh i'll put my make up on or drink my coffee because my car will stop for me!'
Dec 10, 2008
144 posts
63 upvotes
Cold Lake
lottomax wrote:

Not true. Everyone get's put up on the chopping block. Mechanics, Pilots, Manufacturers, Overhaul Facilities and their staff that have signed off on the paperwork, manufacturers for the airplane or parts. They eliminate people one by one till they find the root cause.
Deal Expert
May 14, 2008
41820 posts
1719 upvotes
Ali proudly stood up…
jordanr19871 wrote:
Feb 21st, 2015 2:34 pm
As I mentioned in the prior post, some people just can't be helped. But there are an awful lot of poor drivers out there who can be helped by such technology, and if it actually does end up saving lives (esp a family member) then who wouldn't support it? As I also said, it could probably be implemented at no more cost than extra (usually unnecessary/unused) airbags. (13 bags in the essentially 2-seat Scion "IQ"? Crazy!).