• Last Updated:
  • Oct 19th, 2015 9:30 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Dec 9, 2007
502 posts
187 upvotes
It was announced today,Oct 13, 2015, Ontario will be the first province in Canada to start testing self driving cars on its roads beginning Jan 1 2016......

As for Volvo taking responsibility if something goes wrong, I'm still not sold

Maybe our insurance premiums will go down if their are less accidents
Oct 18, 2015
92 posts
30 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
Who do you think pushes for all the new safety features in vehicles ? Car manufacturers just want to make money and if they didn't have to, I'd say most would not add more airbags, collision avoidance systems, etc..
Insurance companies do crash tests, recommend safety improvements (seat belts anyone ?)- Of course its in their best interest to make cars and occupants safer, less to pay out in injury claims. And they charge more for insurance for vehicles that aren't as safe as others.
INSURANCE BROKER(RIBO)
To receive advice about your specific situation, please speak directly to your insurance broker or company
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2015
1486 posts
68 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Right now... it's pretty black and white in just about all jurisdictions from a legal standpoint...

The driver is responsible for the safe operation of the vehicle at all times. You have a car with active braking that fails? you're still at fault. That being said, it's also pretty clear in just about all jurisdictions, that from a legal standpoint, a vehicle must have a driver.

So the question becomes, what is the legal framework for a self driving car? My personal suspicion -- is that you'll have a very similar model to how it's being tested today -- requiring a driver at the wheel, who is ultimately responsible for safe operation of the vehicle -- just like pilots are in aircraft.

It'll be a loooong time before you see autonomous self-driving cars.