[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2009
1932 posts
306 upvotes
Toronto
6060842 wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 10:59 am
Pharmacists, Architects, Engineers and many jobs in the medical field will be replaced by AI and automation just to name a few. Easy to look down on low waged workers and think that somehow you are in some way superior ... until the world gives you a reality check and you too are looking for some social assistance.
The professionals you've listed will at least have already retired by the time their jobs have been replaced.
Dec 23, 2015
116 posts
69 upvotes
blitzforce wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 11:08 am
The professionals you've listed will at least have already retired by the time their jobs have been replaced.
The timing of changes to come is pure speculation but they aren't as far off as you imagine. Floor traders at stock exchanges have already been largely replaced by high speed computers and algorithms.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2009
1932 posts
306 upvotes
Toronto
6060842 wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 11:29 am
The timing of changes to come is pure speculation but they aren't as far off as you imagine. Floor traders at stock exchanges have already been largely replaced by high speed computers and algorithms.
How about 20-30 years? I highly doubt everyones' jobs will be replaced in 5 years.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
19054 posts
2637 upvotes
Poormond Hill
blitzforce wrote:
Nov 13th, 2017 6:48 pm
I just came back from Walmart and they replaced 6 employees with 8 self serve machines. Now theres a glut of unemployed low-skilled workers and tgeir only choice is to apply for EI.
How do you know they were replaced? Maybe they were given different jobs?
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
Sep 22, 2009
627 posts
239 upvotes
Toronto
OnaFixedIncome wrote:
Nov 13th, 2017 8:56 pm
Yep, those 1% "job creators" will really care about the "minions" and create more jobs if you give them more tax breaks. When they perfect self-driving cars then taxi drivers and truck drivers will be next. After that, when Droids are perfected, all service jobs will be obsolete.
based on your logic, should we halt all progress/innovation so that we can preserve every low-skilled job? Shall we cry for the poor typewriter salesperson or encyclopedia salesperson? People need to evolve with the changing job market and expecting society to keep people employed forever is ridiculous.
Sep 22, 2009
627 posts
239 upvotes
Toronto
I deplore the self-checkouts even though I am a pure capitalist. Pushing more and more work on customers is just bad service. I always get confused however and somehow ring in the code for regular produce when buying organic.

Companies shouldn't forget that consumers aren't ALL sheep and there are consequences to their actions.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2009
1932 posts
306 upvotes
Toronto
theguru wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 1:01 pm
I deplore the self-checkouts even though I am a pure capitalist. Pushing more and more work on customers is just bad service. I always get confused however and somehow ring in the code for regular produce when buying organic.

Companies shouldn't forget that consumers aren't ALL sheep and there are consequences to their actions.
Either self-checkout or they just charge more, which option would you prefer? You can't have it both ways where their wage expenses goes up but are willing to absorb the costs and not transfer it to the consumers.
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2012
2737 posts
297 upvotes
Ottawa
Swerny wrote:
the self checkout machines will be more personable than the majority of the Walmart cashiers they replaced.
Sometimes I feel bad when I walk past open manned checkouts to get to the self-serve one....
Sep 22, 2009
627 posts
239 upvotes
Toronto
blitzforce wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 1:46 pm
Either self-checkout or they just charge more, which option would you prefer? You can't have it both ways where their wage expenses goes up but are willing to absorb the costs and not transfer it to the consumers.
perhaps if we didn't have leaders who have driven the cost of hydro through the roof or hammering businesses with tremendous increases in minimum wages, we wouldn't have to look at creative ways to save money. Companies will almost always push costs onto customers and the lowly customer has little choice to but suck it up.

Sure feels good though to get that hydro rebate each month while our great grandchildren will be paying for it..insanity.
Nov 16, 2010
164 posts
77 upvotes
Kitchener
I had to laugh, and yes I am completely against self-checkouts, there was a huge line in the single checkout lane open at my local Walmart and when the manager walked up to each customer asking if they'd like to try the new self-checkout every person in line had the same reply......."I don't work for Walmart, but you do."
Good or bad, for me personally self-checkouts don't serve me any reward so why would I use them?
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
36657 posts
2531 upvotes
Toronto
blitzforce wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 9:42 am
Then they will apply for social assistance...
Or even worst. Become impoverished and destitute.
Guess what happens a few generations after? They'll be robbing , pillaging and violently assaulting the middle and upper classes...

See the philipines or india where the rich are rich and the poor Are even poorer.

The they have to live in gated communities. Some have security guards. Kidnap is a real danger.
Imagine what happens to the middle and upper classes. The people who are productive enough to society and well enough to take care of their families... they face the danger of poverty anyways.
Sep 22, 2009
627 posts
239 upvotes
Toronto
UrbanPoet wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 6:11 pm
Or even worst. Become impoverished and destitute.
Guess what happens a few generations after? They'll be robbing , pillaging and violently assaulting the middle and upper classes...

See the philipines or india where the rich are rich and the poor Are even poorer.

The they have to live in gated communities. Some have security guards. Kidnap is a real danger.

There is no middle class in Canada anymore.. there is the rich and the working poor.. mission accomplished wyndbag and justine.
Imagine what happens to the middle and upper classes. The people who are productive enough to society and well enough to take care of their families... they face the danger of poverty anyways.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
36657 posts
2531 upvotes
Toronto
theguru wrote:

I agree... theres gotta be a mix of both.
Example... i was at cineplex the other day. They replaced the entire box office with self serve.
Luckily there was no line...
But i had to pay cash and use virgin mobile voucher.
Guess where you have to go to do that? Concessions!
Who would have thought... if it was bz i would have been stuck waiting to get to the front of the digitl box office... only for the 1 line attendenant to tell me that can only be done @ concession.
May 8, 2007
728 posts
146 upvotes
Fraser Valley, BC
The cashiers must have asked and kept on pestering me about a hundred times to sign up for their Walmart credit card, very annoying. No doubt they were ordered to do this and would get a bonus if I signed up. Fortunately the self checkout doesn't do that, yet.

I find the Walmart robot voice to be much more pushy and impatient than the one at Superstore.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)