Investing

Sell of individual stocks and go all in on CCP?

• Last Updated:
  • May 31st, 2018 11:01 am
[OP]
Feb 10, 2018
245 posts
90 upvotes

Sell of individual stocks and go all in on CCP?

Hi,

Just need to hear some opinions.

I hold about 60K in my Questrade account -$50K in TFSA and 10K in RRSP. I am a buy and hold investor. Most of my TFSA is 3 stocks, heavily investing in AAPL. My returns for TFSA is 15 %,, RRSP is 11 %.

I also hold CCP in TD eseries Funds with automatic contributions from every paycheque. This portfolio is very small. I love the TD app, no fees, and the convenience, I barely look at the numbers and will rebalance it soon.

I was thinking of selling off my Questrade TFSA or transferring TFSA and/or RRSP to TD.

I know I could liquidate my TFSA at the end of the year and invest at the beginning of 2019 to not lose contribution room.

Some cons
- transfer in fees are high, 100-250/ account. Doubt TD would waive them.
- losing $ on selling of USD stocks
- lack of diversification. Questrade has free ETFs and low trade fees of $5.00

Pros
- DRIPs. I’ll be able to buy partial units of stocks instead of cash sitting there.
- everything under 1 roof. TD app is great.
- autopilot. Contributions every 2 weeks plus. Compounding of the dividends from the larger sum.

Any help and advice is appreciated.
14 replies
Oct 31, 2014
202 posts
68 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
Not quite sure what you're asking.

But the answer is stay with Questrade.

If you're happy with your APPL purchase, keep it.

CCP says there is value in VGRO.to and with a mer of 0.22% and free to buy, it's better than TD E-series.

You can auto invest in TD e-series and withdraw in Dec and make lump sum to Questrade in Jan (vgro.to)

Just focus on building up VGRO.to from here on
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2017
1870 posts
715 upvotes
GTA
EDL67134234 wrote:
May 23rd, 2018 3:05 pm
Hi,

Just need to hear some opinions.

I hold about 60K in my Questrade account -$50K in TFSA and 10K in RRSP. I am a buy and hold investor. Most of my TFSA is 3 stocks, heavily investing in AAPL. My returns for TFSA is 15 %,, RRSP is 11 %.

I also hold CCP in TD eseries Funds with automatic contributions from every paycheque. This portfolio is very small. I love the TD app, no fees, and the convenience, I barely look at the numbers and will rebalance it soon.

I was thinking of selling off my Questrade TFSA or transferring TFSA and/or RRSP to TD.

Any help and advice is appreciated.
you seem to be doing quite well doing what you are doing

if there is a specific reason to switch or because you believe that your portfolio will do better with TD, IMO, 'if it ain't broke, why try to fix it' ... for now anyway

curious, how many shares of AAPL do you have & what is your average cost/share?
[OP]
Feb 10, 2018
245 posts
90 upvotes
porticoman wrote:
May 23rd, 2018 4:40 pm
you seem to be doing quite well doing what you are doing

if there is a specific reason to switch or because you believe that your portfolio will do better with TD, IMO, 'if it ain't broke, why try to fix it' ... for now anyway

curious, how many shares of AAPL do you have & what is your average cost/share?
Average Cost below $100.

The main reason is just to reinvest DRIPs, watch the dividends compound instead of them sitting in cash account.

I am the point in my life where I’d rather rather simplify things and automate them.

Some of the stocks I own are part of the Indexes listed in CCP anyway.

I am aware that I am unlikely to achieve the same results if I go all in on CCP.
Deal Guru
Jan 27, 2006
10516 posts
4155 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Realistically, the amounts in the various accounts are relatively small in comparison to the level of fees that will need to be paid and saved.... so there will be a big hit in terms of performance even if you don't factor in the lower returns of the CCP in comparison to what you are doing now.

Since you are a buy and hold type of investor, why not just do that with what you got and just continue to hold? Yes, its not under one roof (but it can be if you transfer everything to TD Direct Investing instead) but it keeps with the philosophy you got. You just need to train yourself to look at it less.
Deal Addict
Jan 20, 2016
1977 posts
947 upvotes
Houston, TX
Imo you could move in kind, thus no sell and no loss.
Thus I'd do it and keep assets as is, especially if they are going good.
Having two different approach (ccp and blue chips) it's also a diversification, think about that ;)

P.s. Do nothing it's a hardest part of investment :)
Make the Trudeau drama teacher again!
Dec 19, 2010
729 posts
217 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
SheaButters wrote:
May 23rd, 2018 3:59 pm
Not quite sure what you're asking.

But the answer is stay with Questrade.

If you're happy with your APPL purchase, keep it.

CCP says there is value in VGRO.to and with a mer of 0.22% and free to buy, it's better than TD E-series.

You can auto invest in TD e-series and withdraw in Dec and make lump sum to Questrade in Jan (vgro.to)

Just focus on building up VGRO.to from here on
is that the common consensus and CCP recommended way now, VGRO instead of E-series?
Wonder if i should liquidate my E-series funds and consolidate it all into VGRO.
Deal Guru
Jan 27, 2006
10516 posts
4155 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
jamieee wrote:
May 24th, 2018 1:09 pm
is that the common consensus and CCP recommended way now, VGRO instead of E-series?
Wonder if i should liquidate my E-series funds and consolidate it all into VGRO.
Realistically, it depends on the level of effort you want to put into your investments and the level of performance you are getting for the effort. VGRO is definitely one of the lowest effort products out there as it's a one size fits all and only does customization at the highest level. Honestly, if you are looking for the least effort product, I would spend some time looking at the new robo-advisor options which will do more customizations to your situation and risk profile than a one size fits all product.
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2007
3646 posts
1433 upvotes
jamieee wrote:
May 24th, 2018 1:09 pm
I don't know what the consensus is but after several years I'm still using a mix of four TD e-Series funds and four index ETF's. Quite happy with this setup and no plans to change.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2003
5067 posts
979 upvotes
Mississauga
I'm a newbie and just opened an account on questrade...i want to buy the vgro etf and set it and forget it... like the td eseries...

i don't know how to fill in to buy it...

quantity
order type
limit price
duration

help?
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2014
1729 posts
898 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Ducky wrote:
May 31st, 2018 1:13 am
quantity
order type
limit price
duration

help?
quantity - you need to calculate yourself (amount of money in the account / limit price)
order type - Limit
limit price - current VGRO Ask price (should be displayed right there)
duration - Day or GTC (Good Till Cancel)

Basically, you want to buy as many shares as you can afford at the price that somebody else is willing to sell. I wouldn’t recommend using Market orders until VGRO becomes more popular (you may overpay)

Good luck! :)
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2007
3646 posts
1433 upvotes
Ducky wrote:
May 31st, 2018 1:13 am
I'm a newbie and just opened an account on questrade...i want to buy the vgro etf and set it and forget it... like the td eseries...

i don't know how to fill in to buy it...

quantity
order type
limit price
duration

help?
You may find the video tutorial on "How To Build An ETF Portfolio At Questrade" helpful.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2003
5067 posts
979 upvotes
Mississauga
freilona wrote:
May 31st, 2018 2:40 am
quantity - you need to calculate yourself (amount of money in the account / limit price)
order type - Limit
limit price - current VGRO Ask price (should be displayed right there)
duration - Day or GTC (Good Till Cancel)

Basically, you want to buy as many shares as you can afford at the price that somebody else is willing to sell. I wouldn’t recommend using Market orders until VGRO becomes more popular (you may overpay)

Good luck! :)
thanks for your help... greatly appreciated...

just one more question... suppose it's my rrsp account and my contribution room is 10k....i can't buy 10k exactly since the # of shares need to be round numbers.... so what do ppl usually do with little rrsp contribution room left over?
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2014
1729 posts
898 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Ducky wrote:
May 31st, 2018 10:43 am
i can't buy 10k exactly since the # of shares need to be round numbers.... so what do ppl usually do with little rrsp contribution room left over?
i just keep it as cash - and then buy more shares after the dividends/distributions are paid (read up and sign up for DRIP btw - you'll need to fill out a separate form at Questrade :))
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2003
5067 posts
979 upvotes
Mississauga
freilona wrote:
May 31st, 2018 10:54 am
i just keep it as cash - and then buy more shares after the dividends/distributions are paid (read up and sign up for DRIP btw - you'll need to fill out a separate form at Questrade :))
thanks for letting me know about drip... i had no idea.. for sure i want the dividends to be reinvested into the etf...thx