Shopping Discussion

Seller made an error on my address - USPS delivery?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 20th, 2010 12:14 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jan 11, 2008
7358 posts
826 upvotes
GTA

Seller made an error on my address - USPS delivery?

I bought something online and it is being sent from Washington via USPS. It is the basic USPS first class mail international where you have a shipping number that says the package has been sent, but there is no point by point tracking as to where the package is now.

The seller just contacted me and said they made a mistake with my address. For example I live at 123 Smith Street, Suite 456 but the seller wrote 456 Smith Street, Suite 456. They wrote my suite number as the suite number AND the street address. The postal code is correct and no other address except for my building has my postal code.

Anyway, the shipper apologized and said they will refund a portion of what I paid. Apparently this shipping sometimes takes some time to arrive to Canada anyways, and if it isn't here in a few weeks they said they will reship, but they think the post office will realize what the mistake is and fix it because of the postal code.

Has anyone had something like this happen and is the post office likely to catch and fix this error?

Update from Post 15: Just wanted to update to say it all worked out - the post office did a good job! I received this on Friday and the post office crossed out the wrong street number and wrote in the correct one.
18 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jan 14, 2004
9408 posts
536 upvotes
Markham
That's a major mistake though, there's a chance it could be just delivered to that address, if it exists.
:lol:
Deal Fanatic
Jun 19, 2001
7893 posts
1574 upvotes
Ive actually made a mistake like that writing out an address for a parcel.

The post office is pretty good at figuring it out, if not it will eventually og back(can take much longer to return to sender then coming)
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jan 11, 2008
7358 posts
826 upvotes
GTA
Hairball wrote:
Jul 6th, 2010 2:50 pm
That's a major mistake though, there's a chance it could be just delivered to that address, if it exists.
I agree it is a major mistake. The address they put down actually doesn't exist. I live on a street that only has a couple buildings. There are actually only a couple street addresses on my street (all condos with multiple units) and my building is the only one with my postal code. My unit number isn't similar to any of the street numbers.

I guess I'll have to wait and see if the post office does figure it out.
zoro69 wrote:
Jul 6th, 2010 2:55 pm
Ive actually made a mistake like that writing out an address for a parcel.

The post office is pretty good at figuring it out, if not it will eventually og back(can take much longer to return to sender then coming)
Thanks. Hopefully they figure it out here too!
Nov 24, 2009
619 posts
77 upvotes
Fergus, ON
Why not call the local post office and warn them? It may be a long shot but it won't hurt.
If it weren't for electricity, we would all be surfing RFD by candlelight.
Deal Addict
May 5, 2008
4808 posts
1492 upvotes
Winnipeg
If the postal code is correct,youshould be ok.
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2008
2682 posts
592 upvotes
Ottawa
The seller could always just ask for them to cancel delivery and return it to them. They'll lose the shipping cost but at least they'll regain the item...

You always could just get both you and the seller to inform USPS
Deal Fanatic
Jun 19, 2001
7893 posts
1574 upvotes
Akitakara wrote:
Jul 6th, 2010 3:26 pm
The seller could always just ask for them to cancel delivery and return it to them. They'll lose the shipping cost but at least they'll regain the item...

there is no way to ask them to cancel delivery
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2005
10453 posts
2019 upvotes
Nowhere
If you get a lot of packages and the letter carrier recognizes your name, you should get it. I have had letters/packages delivered properly even with the address all screwed up because I had a regular carrier who knew my name. At this point, it depends on the delivery person. This is why it is important to have a regular person on your route. Worst case, it will go back to the sender.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2004
4279 posts
409 upvotes
Thornhill / North Yo…
I've gotten stuff with the right address but wrong postal code before...not sure if it'll work the other way around.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jan 11, 2008
7358 posts
826 upvotes
GTA
Thanks everyone. I'll update if and when it arrives.
loghed wrote:
Jul 6th, 2010 3:09 pm
Why not call the local post office and warn them? It may be a long shot but it won't hurt.
Thanks for the suggestion. I'm thinking that the post office deals with thousands of pieces of mail each day so they likely wouldn't be able to do anything if I call. Hopefully by postal code, they'll figure it out.
airmail wrote:
Jul 6th, 2010 3:11 pm
If the postal code is correct,youshould be ok.
Thanks. That's what I'm hoping.
Akitakara wrote:
Jul 6th, 2010 3:26 pm

zoro69 wrote:
Jul 6th, 2010 3:31 pm
there is no way to ask them to cancel delivery
I think because of the type of shipping used zoro69 is right that it can't be cancelled.
Cheap Cat wrote:
Jul 6th, 2010 3:44 pm
If you get a lot of packages and the letter carrier recognizes your name, you should get it. I have had letters/packages delivered properly even with the address all screwed up because I had a regular carrier who knew my name. At this point, it depends on the delivery person. This is why it is important to have a regular person on your route. Worst case, it will go back to the sender.
I'm not sure if we have a regular carrier (since everything just goes into the boxes on the main level of our condo) but since we moved about a year ago, I've paid for mail redirection from our old address which I understand is done manually. Hopefully because of that the carrier may be familiar with our name.
ceraf wrote:
Jul 6th, 2010 3:45 pm
I've gotten stuff with the right address but wrong postal code before...not sure if it'll work the other way around.
Me too. Hopefully with the postal code it will get here.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2010
6030 posts
583 upvotes
SW Ontario
You might get lucky if you call them, as it is quite possible those unable to be delivered will go in a pile before sending them back. They just might catch it after a delivery attemp has failed if the postal worker didn't figure it out. With the right address and name but wrong unit number, good chance they will still get it to you, especially if you get other mail that day as they can match the name up.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jan 11, 2008
7358 posts
826 upvotes
GTA
redgrandam wrote:
Jul 6th, 2010 10:25 pm
You might get lucky if you call them, as it is quite possible those unable to be delivered will go in a pile before sending them back. They just might catch it after a delivery attemp has failed if the postal worker didn't figure it out. With the right address and name but wrong unit number, good chance they will still get it to you, especially if you get other mail that day as they can match the name up.
Thanks. I think it might be a few more days until Canada Post gets it since I've heard USPS can be slow and there is customs to go through. USPS was also closed yesterday due to the July 4 holiday so that will delay it another day. My unit number is right, it is actually the street number that is wrong (they used the same number for my street number as my unit number).
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2010
6030 posts
583 upvotes
SW Ontario
sillysimms wrote:
Jul 6th, 2010 10:33 pm
Thanks. I think it might be a few more days until Canada Post gets it since I've heard USPS can be slow and there is customs to go through. USPS was also closed yesterday due to the July 4 holiday so that will delay it another day. My unit number is right, it is actually the street number that is wrong (they used the same number for my street number as my unit number).
Ahh well even better, sorry miss read that since you said your place is the only one with that postal code, then you likely won't have any problems beyond an extra day delay. You'll know soon enough.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jan 11, 2008
7358 posts
826 upvotes
GTA
Just wanted to update to say it all worked out - the post office did a good job! I received this on Friday and the post office crossed out the wrong street number and wrote in the correct one.