Entrepreneurship & Small Business

Sellers: How does eBay deal with non-received item disputes?

• Last Updated:
  • May 6th, 2011 1:02 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2008
3271 posts
70 upvotes

Sellers: How does eBay deal with non-received item disputes?

I had a buyer who bought a collectable currency from me 6 weeks ago, I filed a NPB after 2 weeks (as I only took Paypal and stated I would file an NPB after 2 weeks), and he sent payment promptly. I sent the item the same day I got payment. Then, the guy keeps messaging me every 3 days right after payment when the item was going to come, and I said that of course, international mail is slow.

My terms stated clearly that I would not be responsible for any losses unless they paid for registered mail/insurance (an additional $13 for international mailings). The guy didn't pay for registered mail, and now I have a non-received item dispute. Am I screwed? It was a $50 item, but from what I've been reading around, it seems that eBay favours the buyer, overriding any terms the seller has.
13 replies
Deal Addict
May 18, 2004
2686 posts
275 upvotes
tng11 wrote:
Apr 18th, 2011 3:41 pm
I had a buyer who bought a collectable currency from me 6 weeks ago, I filed a NPB after 2 weeks (as I only took Paypal and stated I would file an NPB after 2 weeks), and he sent payment promptly. I sent the item the same day I got payment. Then, the guy keeps messaging me every 3 days right after payment when the item was going to come, and I said that of course, international mail is slow.

My terms stated clearly that I would not be responsible for any losses unless they paid for registered mail/insurance (an additional $13 for international mailings). The guy didn't pay for registered mail, and now I have a non-received item dispute. Am I screwed? It was a $50 item, but from what I've been reading around, it seems that eBay favours the buyer, overriding any terms the seller has.

unfortunately you can state what you want, but with ebay if you have no proof of mailing/tracking number than they will side with the buyer. it says so in the terms and conditions.

after all, in a transaction to occur two things must happen, payment and goods exchanged. the seller can prove payment so you have to prove goods being sent/received.
May 20, 2009
257 posts
1 upvote
Prairies
Unfortunately without delivery confirmation and signature, PayPal will automatically rule in favour of the buyer.

Over the past few years, PayPal has made it more difficult for sellers to win disputes.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2006
4265 posts
479 upvotes
Barrys Bay
This is one reason i charge a premium on shipping for insurance and tracking, so i get $ back either from insurance or paypal.

As well you need to ship to confirmed address on there paypal account to win with them.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2008
3271 posts
70 upvotes
Ah that sucks. Canada Post simply charges too much for international registered mail (more than $15) and people who buy $30-$100 items aren't going to pay that for shipping. It gets worse with anything I can't fit in an envelope if, having to use Xpresspost. I've had numerous foreign sellers send me complaints that I charge way too much for trackable shipping but I always say, "sorry, it's Canada". ;)

After I'm done selling this last lot, I'm signing off eBay. The fees are simply too much to make coins/banknote selling worthy and sometimes auctions can go so badly that I get less than face value/exchange value before fees (after fees, I lose 1/3 of the time).
Deal Addict
May 18, 2004
2686 posts
275 upvotes
tng11 wrote:
Apr 18th, 2011 10:00 pm
Ah that sucks. Canada Post simply charges too much for international registered mail (more than $15) and people who buy $30-$100 items aren't going to pay that for shipping. It gets worse with anything I can't fit in an envelope if, having to use Xpresspost. I've had numerous foreign sellers send me complaints that I charge way too much for trackable shipping but I always say, "sorry, it's Canada". ;)

After I'm done selling this last lot, I'm signing off eBay. The fees are simply too much to make coins/banknote selling worthy and sometimes auctions can go so badly that I get less than face value/exchange value before fees (after fees, I lose 1/3 of the time).

some of the less expensive shipping options from canada post includes insurance up to $100.. it takes forever to process though but you can use it as a way to get your money back if buyer claims he never received it and paypal sides with him.
you get the postal and value of your shipment after all.
Apr 20, 2011
5 posts
LONDON
Like the others have said here, be prepared to refund the money and forget the item. You learned a $50 lesson, thats better than learning a $300-400 lesson. I feel your pain since I have had 2 problems with buyer saying that either they havent received the item or the item is broken and I had to make whole. We need to find an alternative to ebay!
Nov 5, 2010
107 posts
9 upvotes
Burlington
We use mostly FedEx. When quoting I always quote FedEx delivery. If they complaint I offer simple air mail but say that it is at their own risk since there is no tracking and insurance.
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2008
1181 posts
159 upvotes
Ottawa
I'm selling something for the first time on eBay, but I'm still confused on shipping. I'm selling a cellphone, so it's important that I don't get ripped off as it's kind of expensive ($100 range). How am I suppose to add confirmation/signature/tracking? I'm using the shipping calculator on canadapost.ca and for the cheapest shipping for my package it's 21 bucks, which I guess is OK. Does that include tracking/confirmation/etc.? Or does the next tier ($40) include that, or the one after that?

I'm so confused... I don't want this (being ripped off by a buyer) happening to me.
May 20, 2009
257 posts
1 upvote
Prairies
If you are creating the shipping label online, then you can select the signature option if it is not already included in the shipping tier selected. If you are having the postal outlet create the shipping label, you can request them to add it.

[QUOTE]Within Canada
The signature option is included at no extra charge for items delivered with Priority Next A.M. and available with most other services for an additional fee.

Delivery to the U.S.A. and internationally
Instead of being able to view the actual signature image online, only the name of the individual who signed for the item will be available for viewing online.

The signatory name option is included at no extra charge for Priority Worldwide items and Xpresspost-International prepaid envelopes, and is available for a fee for Xpresspost–International items sent to specific destinations. [/QUOTE]

http://www.canadapost.ca/cpo/mc/busines ... #Signature
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2008
1181 posts
159 upvotes
Ottawa
Thanks for the help, my friend.

I was reading, and on the Canada post eBay FAQ it stated "* Delivery confirmation is not available for Canada Post USA and International Small Packet™ and Light Packet™ services. A reference number will be provided for Canada Post USA and International Small Packet™ and Light Packet™ services, but this number is for internal claims purposes only." Is this considered good enough proof that a person received his parcel?

Also, when I go to my listing and for international shipping I click "calculated" then ship to worldwide, the services tab offers me to click on small packet USA. But I don't want it to be limited to just the US, I want it to be world wide.

This is confusing for a first time seller. Is there a good ebay.ca shipping tutorial? They all seem to be U.S. and USPS orientated.

Thanks again. Will check tomorrow, 3:50AM time for bed :razz: .
Deal Addict
May 18, 2004
2686 posts
275 upvotes
Gunnerheadboy wrote:
Apr 24th, 2011 3:49 am
Thanks for the help, my friend.

I was reading, and on the Canada post eBay FAQ it stated "* Delivery confirmation is not available for Canada Post USA and International Small Packet™ and Light Packet™ services. A reference number will be provided for Canada Post USA and International Small Packet™ and Light Packet™ services, but this number is for internal claims purposes only." Is this considered good enough proof that a person received his parcel?

Also, when I go to my listing and for international shipping I click "calculated" then ship to worldwide, the services tab offers me to click on small packet USA. But I don't want it to be limited to just the US, I want it to be world wide.

This is confusing for a first time seller. Is there a good ebay.ca shipping tutorial? They all seem to be U.S. and USPS orientated.

Thanks again. Will check tomorrow, 3:50AM time for bed :razz: .

not sure if you got it figured out, but the internal reference number is useless for proof.
all it's for is they use it when you request a non-delivered package and insurance claim since most of those are covered up to $100.
you need to go expedited to the US or international Surface / Xpresspost international if you want tracking with proof of delivery.
Aug 12, 2006
347 posts
118 upvotes
Bf2fighter wrote:
Apr 22nd, 2011 8:25 pm
We use mostly FedEx. When quoting I always quote FedEx delivery. If they complaint I offer simple air mail but say that it is at their own risk since there is no tracking and insurance.

It doesn't matter if a buyer agrees to take on the risk of cheaper shipping, if they open an Item Not Recieved case with ebay and you can't provide a tracking number with delivery confirmation for items under $250 or signature confirmation for over $250, then ebay will automatically find in the buyer's favour and refund them out of your account.

Insurance is also for the seller's protection, not the buyer's.
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2006
2155 posts
419 upvotes
good luck !
ebay says they cover but if paid via paypal they refer u to paypal (which is owned by ebay)
i've had the luck 2 learn a lot form them
always ship w tracking # unless u sell garbage worth under $15
For sale threads:
GCs / Coins
Cloth / Phones/