Careers

Selling energy contracts door-to-door (ie. Direct Energy)

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 8th, 2010 5:21 pm
[OP]
Banned
Dec 16, 2009
53 posts
Toronto

Selling energy contracts door-to-door (ie. Direct Energy)

Hey guys, I recently turned down a job offer to sell Direct Energy energy contracts door-to-door. It was going to be a FT position monday to friday from noon to 8pm. I didn't really feel comfortable with going door-to-door and I also saw a thread on these forums about how many people felt scammed by Direct Energy or Summitt Energy.

My parents were encouraging me to take the job as it would've been my first full-time job. And actually my dad actually switched to Direct Energy like 5 years ago as a result of someone knocking on our doors so he doesn't feel like it's a scam. It's basically locking in gas prices, hence contract.

So I was wondering if you guys thought I missed on a good opportunity? Has anyone tried this type of job or known anyone who has done it? I know one of my friends did Just Energy for awhile and he did not stick with it because he did not like the tactics the company was using. I did the online training and they were saying under no circumstances do you pressure or mislead a prospect.
11 replies
Deal Fanatic
May 28, 2002
8279 posts
93 upvotes
Kitchener
No you made the right choice. Someone I know just quit her job doing the same thing after only 2 weeks. The hours are long, the pay is not there. The reason is, no matter how good you think your pressure sale tactics are, there's a new law that Direct Energy has to call the customer 10 days after to confirm.
A lot of customers naturally realize their mistake and back out, while others simply can't be reached, resulting in a lot of the contracts that YOU DO SELL not even going through so my friend has yet to see 1 cent from those 2 weeks.
[OP]
Banned
Dec 16, 2009
53 posts
Toronto
Interesting, they did mention this in the online training.

The manager told me I would make $300 base pay a week which I calculated is like $7.50/hr. I would say the confirmation part is definitely tough (call them in 10 days) and they even said it was a job with high turnover. Many people aren't even at home from 12-5 and I'm guessing most housewives, if they are home, don't want to make that decision.

also, National Home Services came to our neighbourhood a few weeks back and couple days later I saw 2 of my neighbours had decided to with them as I saw their trucks on their driveway.

Btw, I got 4 interviews with these energy companies (Just, Direct, Summitt and one other one) all from calling the numbers I found in the job classified newspaper you find around the GTA. I called all the numbers I thought were relevant to me and these are the kind of jobs you get. One was for Xentel and it's a tele-sales position where you call people for donations to charities.
Mar 16, 2009
215 posts
vancity
cock wrote:
Jun 7th, 2010 4:43 am
Interesting, they did mention this in the online training.

The manager told me I would make $300 base pay a week which I calculated is like $7.50/hr. I would say the confirmation part is definitely tough (call them in 10 days) and they even said it was a job with high turnover. Many people aren't even at home from 12-5 and I'm guessing most housewives, if they are home, don't want to make that decision.
First of all regardless of what this manager says you should realize that any job that pays commission is legally required to pay employees equal to what they would make earning minimum wage. Therefore if you make 0 dollars in commission, they would still need to pay you however many hours worked by 10.25 which is the minimum wage (in Ontario) and not this 7.50/hr bs they are stating.

If you want to work in direct sales or tele sales be prepared for a lot of rejection.
Feb 17, 2010
73 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
I had a summit energy guy come to our house a few weeks ago. He talked so fast and claimed he was affiliated with the Ontario government (or at least he wanted me to think that). He quickly showed me and my dad his ID badge, some certification, and some papers with the Ontario government logo (he kept pointing at the logo). My dad isn't really good in English and he was lead to believe he had to sign the paper. My dad said he didn't want to switch to any company and the summit energy guy said that he wouldn't be changing anything if he signed (I see what he did there now). He complained about people like us not reading our bills properly and it makes his job more difficult. We felt really pressured and almost signed but at the last minute we said no. At the end he was bitching that we wasted his time and he hit himself on our door on the way out.

I learned a valuable lesson that day. Never sign anything at the door, ever.
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2010
1186 posts
110 upvotes
vavzryn wrote:
Jun 7th, 2010 10:25 am
I had a summit energy guy come to our house a few weeks ago. He talked so fast and claimed he was affiliated with the Ontario government (or at least he wanted me to think that). He quickly showed me and my dad his ID badge, some certification, and some papers with the Ontario government logo (he kept pointing at the logo). My dad isn't really good in English and he was lead to believe he had to sign the paper. My dad said he didn't want to switch to any company and the summit energy guy said that he wouldn't be changing anything if he signed (I see what he did there now). He complained about people like us not reading our bills properly and it makes his job more difficult. We felt really pressured and almost signed but at the last minute we said no. At the end he was bitching that we wasted his time and he hit himself on our door on the way out.

I learned a valuable lesson that day. Never sign anything at the door, ever.
According to the Ontario Energy Board, those service providers must call you back in a week to confirm the contract via phone call, if you say no on the phone, contract is terminated without any penalty charged. Also, you need to mention that the guy faulsely represented himself as "affilated the Ontario government". (which is not true.)

I know this becuase i used to work for Summitt energy going door to door, selling energy plans. they would do everything to get you signed at the door.

Im not saying bad things about this companies but they really need to train their employees properly rather than pushing them to sell goods to people who don't really need to buy. (at least, provide right/legit information to consumers)
Deal Addict
May 24, 2010
1035 posts
152 upvotes
I worked it before, its mostly BS. If the prices actually rise, they'll rip up the contract since it is within their contract to do so. If the prices lower, then the consumer is screwed. Gas is NOT actually as upwardly variable as they want people to believe.

They said on the ad people make 23 an hour or w/e. I was the best guy in our class of naive retards and I made minimum wage.
[OP]
Banned
Dec 16, 2009
53 posts
Toronto
rapashoo wrote:
Jun 7th, 2010 3:51 pm
According to the Ontario Energy Board, those service providers must call you back in a week to confirm the contract via phone call, if you say no on the phone, contract is terminated without any penalty charged. Also, you need to mention that the guy faulsely represented himself as "affilated the Ontario government". (which is not true.)

I know this becuase i used to work for Summitt energy going door to door, selling energy plans. they would do everything to get you signed at the door.

Im not saying bad things about this companies but they really need to train their employees properly rather than pushing them to sell goods to people who don't really need to buy. (at least, provide right/legit information to consumers)
How did you do with Summitt energy? How long did you last? Do you recommend the job for others?
Deal Guru
Dec 7, 2009
13003 posts
1120 upvotes
These types of jobs are about one step away from driving an ice-cream bicycle around, except atleast with that job you have the satisfaction of providing your customers with ice-cream.
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2010
1186 posts
110 upvotes
cock wrote:
Jun 8th, 2010 5:16 am
How did you do with Summitt energy? How long did you last? Do you recommend the job for others?
I was employed for full time during summer period (May to beginning of September, before i went back to school).

I did really well in the beginning. pretty much in top 10 in our regional office, which they said it's ridiculously impressive. BUT it didn't take long for customer to find out that this energy plan is BS, they ended up rejecting the contracts. I had lots, lots of call backs from my pay cheque (which means, they will take out of your pay cheque, if customer declines the offer after a week they signed at the door. they can do that without no penalty)

I recommend this job to students or other ppl that actually pursue or want to gain some experience in Sales field. I mean, if you can produce well in door-to-door sale, how could you possibly fail as a car dealer, for instance?

otherwise, forget it. i do not recommend. that's just my $0.02.

All the best with your job finding OP!!
Oct 2, 2005
609 posts
25 upvotes
Aznsilvrboy wrote:
Jun 7th, 2010 4:31 am
I like your username.
ok, thats disturbing
...making life simple without worry, without headache...
× < >