Selling Old as New? Legal?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 6th, 2011 2:24 am
Sep 9, 2010
2 posts
7 upvotes
Montreal

Selling Old as New? Legal?

So I bought a digital camera today at FutureShop. The camera was supposedly brand new (NOT open box).

I got home and found the following:
1. LCD screen and lens had fingerprints
2. Battery was fully charged
3. Date was already set.
4. Icing on the cake: the internal memory HAD PICTURES ON IT (previous owners' Cayman Islands vacation pictures)!!

Is this legal? Do I have grounds to ask for compensation from FS (other than exchanging the camera, of course).
6 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2001
1205 posts
37 upvotes
Burnaby
They might not have known. Don't sue anyone over this, that happens in the US, but Canadians have more sense.

Just return the camera and exchange it. If they don't want to, then return and rebuy it.

hades
Deal Guru
Oct 14, 2003
14325 posts
1241 upvotes
You can ask for a refund, and you can ask for something extra, but other than a refund they don't have to do anything. If you didn't notice it wasn't new what makes you think the staff knew it wasn't new when they gave it to you? Or that the person that returned it didn't lie and say it was new. Lots of threads on here of people asking about doing the same thing.

Go in be polite, explain that it looks like there was a mistake, request the refund and express displeasure that you have had to take time from your day to make a trip back to sort this out. But be polite and don't bring up the L word.
Science
is the new
rock 'n'
roll.
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2008
4465 posts
426 upvotes
Toronto
Reminds me of the time when I cousin purchased a camera from FutureShop and when he went home to try it, the memory had pictures of FS employees in it. :facepalm:
Buy Bell, and you go to HELL! :-0
Deal Guru
Oct 16, 2008
11337 posts
5530 upvotes
Vaughan
GreatAbra wrote: So I bought a digital camera today at FutureShop. The camera was supposedly brand new (NOT open box).

3. Date was already set.
4. Icing on the cake: the internal memory HAD PICTURES ON IT (previous owners' Cayman Islands vacation pictures)!!

Is this legal? Do I have grounds to ask for compensation from FS (other than exchanging the camera, of course).
What compensation are you looking for? You will get 'Sorry' the most. Just bring it back to exchange or return for refund.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2006
2599 posts
122 upvotes
GreatAbra wrote: So I bought a digital camera today at FutureShop. The camera was supposedly brand new (NOT open box).

3. Date was already set.

Pics or it didn't happen.
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16872 posts
2557 upvotes
Futureshop seems to always repack stuff and place it back on the shelf. They're really bad with actually checking if an item is an opened return or not.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)