Cell Phones

Selling a phone, can I be scammed if I show them receipt and imei?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 11th, 2019 8:25 pm
Deal Addict
Jan 4, 2014
1406 posts
750 upvotes
Kitchener, ON

Selling a phone, can I be scammed if I show them receipt and imei?

I'm selling a new phone, and the buyer would like to see a photo of the receipt, as well as a photo of the sticker on the box, the one that includes the imei and such. I've never had anyone ask for this before, and I think it's fine, but I just want to double check. Is there any sort of scam that be be run by getting this info? Am I safe to give it?
7 replies
Dec 13, 2017
267 posts
204 upvotes
not as far as i know. I have done this multiple times with nothing bad happening. If you legitly bought the phone yourself, then you should be fine.
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
21330 posts
10938 upvotes
Oakville
There are people that will claim that the buyer can blacklist your phone if they have the IMEI, by simply giving it to their carrier and reporting it stolen (and will then use the threat of doing this to force you to take a shitty deal, etc). But to the best of my knowledge, carriers are required to check that the IMEI was actually *used* on the account in question before blacklisting it.
Jul 15, 2013
269 posts
5 upvotes
toronto, Ontario
So the fake iPhone clones out there have real Apple IMEIs, they work on apple warranty check , I wonder if people take the information and feed it to the fake vendors
Deal Addict
Jan 4, 2014
1406 posts
750 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
For anyone wondering, I gave the info to the buyer, the next day they met up and bought it from me no problem.
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2017
1972 posts
1950 upvotes
Toronto
as long you have the actual receipt you should be good.
Multi Millionaire in Points
Jun 12, 2017
77 posts
146 upvotes
Belleville, ON
wearysky wrote: There are people that will claim that the buyer can blacklist your phone if they have the IMEI, by simply giving it to their carrier and reporting it stolen (and will then use the threat of doing this to force you to take a shitty deal, etc). But to the best of my knowledge, carriers are required to check that the IMEI was actually *used* on the account in question before blacklisting it.
Actually you can't blacklist a phone without having/owning it. (In my experience) Unless the phone was added to the carrier account and used by the individual it cannot be blacklisted. I lost a phone I bought from Canada Comps and used on Fido for 2+ years and even though they have record of me using the phone and attached IMEI, since it wasn't actually registered on the account I couldn't do anything.
Koodo $60/12gb
3gb w/ freeFido LG Gpad III ($50 BB Giftcard)
Sierra Aircard 763s

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)