• Dec 12th, 2016 12:29 pm
Tags:
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2004
1189 posts
38 upvotes
Markham

Selling privately advice.

I have a new car coming in before I sell my old. If I transfer my old plates how do I let prospective buyers go for a test drive? Are there temp plates for this? Or should I be buying new plates for the new car and keeping the old plates as is until it sells? Also if I needed to change the rear brake pads would you do it and sell with safety certificate or leave it and sell as is?

Thanks in advance.
16 replies
Deal Fanatic
Dec 24, 2005
5853 posts
1695 upvotes
it depends on the car for everything

but you cannot drive without plates and insurance.
Banned
Feb 15, 2016
394 posts
168 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
Here are couple options,

1. You can sell vehicle as-is without doing anything
2. You can do emission and safety test that way it won't be as is but you would need to spend some money in this case.

If you transferred plates I assume there would be no test drive unless it's somewhere around the block in residential area.
Sep 5, 2014
555 posts
317 upvotes
Brampton, ON
got more details on the car that you are selling?

I had this idea for a dealership that just sold private vehicles. a place where guys like you could drop off your vehicles with a price range in mind and a sales guy could sell it and handle all the paperwork for a commission.

anyone want to invest in it? there would be no cost in product, just insurance.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2008
7022 posts
2907 upvotes
Victoria, BC
^ is this a joke or what?

Used car consignment lots have been around since well before you were born.

They seldom work too well economically for those that operate them or the car owners.
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
2907 posts
2135 upvotes
Calgary
macnut wrote: ^ is this a joke or what?

Used car consignment lots have been around since well before you were born.

They seldom work too well economically for those that operate them or the car owners.
Can't blame him. Everyone wants to make a quick buck these days. Although this is a pretty bad business model. But still a model nonetheless.
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2004
1189 posts
38 upvotes
Markham
I think I may get a new set of plates and stickers as well so I have one in case this needs to hit the road. I think is should be about $150 for the brake pads and I dont mind paying it if it helps with a quicker sale. I maybe cancel the insurance on it though as it is up for year;y renewal in 2 days. Its a 1999 Honda Prelude, its still my daily driver and there isnt anything else needing to be replaced besides the rear pads.
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2004
1189 posts
38 upvotes
Markham
Im leaning towards selling as is. Just need to figure out insurance and plates on it otherwise I cannot let people test drive it.
Deal Guru
Dec 2, 2008
12459 posts
2170 upvotes
GTA
ezdoesit wrote: Im leaning towards selling as is. Just need to figure out insurance and plates on it otherwise I cannot let people test drive it.
Personally do not allow them to test drive it as ur insurance will be affected if anything happens......
Deal Expert
Jul 22, 2006
22438 posts
3065 upvotes
ezdoesit wrote: Im leaning towards selling as is. Just need to figure out insurance and plates on it otherwise I cannot let people test drive it.
Don't let them drive.

Show them proof of maintenance etc etc.
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2014
1261 posts
1357 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Keep the old plates on it and the insurance.
When the car is sold, the insurance is prorated by the amount of days left on the policy. The license plate can be turned in at the ministry for a refund on the remaining months left (if its more than 3 months left).

Not being able to test drive the car will be a big turn off to alot of potential buyers who want to buy it as a working vehicle. If you aren't asking for much, you list it on Kijiji as is, with no test drive and you'll get a bunch of scrappers calling you to take it as a parts car.
_______
Speedkar99 | YouTube
Dec 2, 2006
252 posts
31 upvotes
GTA West
Depends on the age and price of vehicle imo. If someone is spending $10-15k I'm sure they'll want to test drive before buying, however if the car is older and just a few grand, you should be able to sell as-is without test drive as long as it starts and runs fine and looks decent.

I just sold my car as-is because I didn't have insurance on it so it's not going off my driveway for test drive. Also couldn't be bothered to run around doing safety and emissions. Not worth my time. Just gotta price it accordingly. Mine sold first night. Gave the guy $100 off to tow car.
Jun 18, 2010
533 posts
140 upvotes
GTA
With a 99 Prelude, you will probably get a lot of teenagers wanting to test drive your car...
Deal Fanatic
Nov 18, 2002
7041 posts
652 upvotes
BC Interior
Get new plates for new car. Keep old plates on old car. I cannot imagine anyone buying a car without at the very least being driven in it outside of an auction house.
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2004
1189 posts
38 upvotes
Markham
I transferred my old plates when I got the new car, I suppose I can go buy a new set and transfer these back when I have time. I still have insurance on the old car, yearly renewal just came up. I can cancel anytime and just pay for the last month its insured?

Thanks
Jan 2, 2009
256 posts
102 upvotes
Toronto
You can go to MTO and get a pair of new plates and temporary sticker for the old vehicle. I believe the sticker is good for 7 or 14 days (can't remember), but if you don't sell the car in that time frame, you can go back to MTO and extend. Put the new plates on vehicle, and since you still have insurance, you can have people come and test drive the car. Once you sell the car, you can either return the plates to the ministry or keep them along with the green title, just in case you will ever need a set of plates for a 2nd vehicle.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)