Home & Garden

Selling with Property Guys- legal problems??

Jun 11, 2010
297 posts
149 upvotes
ottawa
themiddleman112 wrote:
Nov 20th, 2016 11:52 pm
You want a house? You pay for the house. And why yes that would include paying for the costs involved to keep that house standing!

My friend. In a hot market EVERYONE benefits. Would you rather have $700,000 in profit after 10 years or lose $300,000 in maintenance and taxes? Pretty simple I think.

And I am not "snubbing" anyone off. At the end of the day it is your choice as to what route you want to take. I just can't stand people crying over petty things. Hey guess what? We also pay 13% sales tax to the government and then they take even more from our salary. Sucks right? But do you like living here? I sure do. There is a cost to everything whether you like it or not. Venting about paying a 5% fee after you just made a 70% return on investment is pretty ridiculous.

Just my 2 cents.
Sure, if someone signs up to pay 5% and then vents afterwards that's foolish. But your attitude of thinking everyone should just use a Realtor and 'oh come on, it's only 5%!' logic is purely illogical. It's easier than ever to buy/sell a property without a Realtor, the only difficult part really is finding time for the viewings. Getting a good lawyer and inspector is what's absolutely necessary for a smooth transaction. Given that those people paid hundreds of thousands over 10 years, and they took the risk of losing money on their investment (it's not always that housing markets go up, take a look at Vancouver right now), and the Realtor comes in for x number of days with pretty much zero risk means you're getting 5% or $100k for a pretty risk-free investment on your end. I can see why people aren't interested in that. And to come in with your attitude saying they need some Kleenex, shows why no one likes the fact that people think they can be hot shot Real Estate agents and make some money of other people's assets.
Nov 19, 2016
3 posts
1 upvote
barqers wrote:
Nov 21st, 2016 12:12 am
Sure, if someone signs up to pay 5% and then vents afterwards that's foolish. But your attitude of thinking everyone should just use a Realtor and 'oh come on, it's only 5%!' logic is purely illogical. It's easier than ever to buy/sell a property without a Realtor, the only difficult part really is finding time for the viewings. Getting a good lawyer and inspector is what's absolutely necessary for a smooth transaction. Given that those people paid hundreds of thousands over 10 years, and they took the risk of losing money on their investment (it's not always that housing markets go up, take a look at Vancouver right now), and the Realtor comes in for x number of days with pretty much zero risk means you're getting 5% or $100k for a pretty risk-free investment on your end. I can see why people aren't interested in that. And to come in with your attitude saying they need some Kleenex, shows why no one likes the fact that people think they can be hot shot Real Estate agents and make some money of other people's assets.

Well obviously you had the time to do it yourself and it worked out so I applaud you but not everyone does and it doesn't always work out as "smooth". You keep stressing the amount of "days" that it takes an agent to find a buyer for their client. Why does the days it takes to sell a house matter at all to the client? You still get your house sold correct? Whether it takes 1 day or a year, it changes nothing. The result is the same. And most homeowners would rather it be sold quicker than later I would think. Do you really think a homeowner looking to sell their house is going to say " Hey Mr. Real Estate agent...can you please take your time when selling my house? That way I can feel like my money is well spent on your commission. Take a year if you have to. Thanks!". Probably not...

It's like arguing why movie stars and athletes get paid so much. "That Brad Pitt got paid $30 million for that movie! What the hell!? It probably only took about 3 months to shoot!" or " That Ronaldo averages $500,000 per game! Ridiculous!" . Now imagine a world without movies or sports...pretty depressing right? Hey man, if I had it my way I would pay doctors and teachers what movie stars and athletes get paid but sadly the world does not work that way. A CEO of a fortune 500 company makes millions per year compared to an entry level guy working at the same company. Is the CEO working 50 times the hours that the entry level guy is? No, but he gets paid that much because he's in charge of the entire company and one false move could destroy everything. A real estate agent can sell a house a lot quicker than your average DIYer because he/she has access to valuable information,tools,marketing, networks, and negotiating power - this is what you are paying for. If my toilet breaks, I call a PLUMBER and he fixes it in 10 minutes rather than me staring at it for weeks trying to figure out what's wrong and destroying my internal organs because I cannot piss or crap. Everyone has a role in this thing we call life.

So yea...here's a tissue :)
Jun 11, 2010
297 posts
149 upvotes
ottawa
themiddleman112 wrote:
Nov 21st, 2016 2:20 am
Well obviously you had the time to do it yourself and it worked out so I applaud you but not everyone does and it doesn't always work out as "smooth". You keep stressing the amount of "days" that it takes an agent to find a buyer for their client. Why does the days it takes to sell a house matter at all to the client? You still get your house sold correct? Whether it takes 1 day or a year, it changes nothing. The result is the same. And most homeowners would rather it be sold quicker than later I would think. Do you really think a homeowner looking to sell their house is going to say " Hey Mr. Real Estate agent...can you please take your time when selling my house? That way I can feel like my money is well spent on your commission. Take a year if you have to. Thanks!". Probably not...

It's like arguing why movie stars and athletes get paid so much. "That Brad Pitt got paid $30 million for that movie! What the hell!? It probably only took about 3 months to shoot!" or " That Ronaldo averages $500,000 per game! Ridiculous!" . Now imagine a world without movies or sports...pretty depressing right? Hey man, if I had it my way I would pay doctors and teachers what movie stars and athletes get paid but sadly the world does not work that way. A CEO of a fortune 500 company makes millions per year compared to an entry level guy working at the same company. Is the CEO working 50 times the hours that the entry level guy is? No, but he gets paid that much because he's in charge of the entire company and one false move could destroy everything. A real estate agent can sell a house a lot quicker than your average DIYer because he/she has access to valuable information,tools,marketing, networks, and negotiating power - this is what you are paying for. If my toilet breaks, I call a PLUMBER and he fixes it in 10 minutes rather than me staring at it for weeks trying to figure out what's wrong and destroying my internal organs because I cannot piss or crap. Everyone has a role in this thing we call life.

So yea...here's a tissue :)
Sorry man, you sound like a used car salesman here. I personally don't care how long it takes, the shorter the better if you're paying someone to sell your house, 30 days was the average time to sell... Secondly, you really do only need a good lawyer and inspector to have a good transaction, (T)OREB shows you how to fill out the forms, and if you have a good lawyer you can ask for a review of the terms of sale, which they wouldn't charge $100k for. And comparing yourself to world-class athletes is a joke, I'm sorry. There's only 1 Ronaldo, only 1 Brad Pitt, maybe one or two who are as good as they are, so watching them play is a spectacle. Realtors are a dime a dozen, and if you think you're so insanely better than the rest then you should have your own agency, 'my friend'.

It sounds like you want to pressure people into becoming clients, and like I said before, it's your attitude. My family/friends use Realtors, it's their personal choice, I don't try and tell them to sell/buy without one. But to act like you're 100% necessary to complete a transaction just know that you're not, and the information you do possess over others is basically just the MLS database, and experience (but in your case not experience because you're not even a Realtor yet). Just keep that in mind and try and humble yourself instead of trying to line your pockets because you think this is an easy cash grab.
Jul 10, 2017
4 posts
Do not go with property guys! I was contacted by them when i posted on kijji to sell my property. They convinced me that i would save money and have the benefit of an MLS listing and legal advice.
What a joke! I was given 10 booklet sized pamphlets with photos of the place and a few signs. I was told they would organize my viewing and call me to do them with times that fit my schedule. There has been nothing for 4 months. NOT ONE VIEWING OR CALL whatsoever. While other places are selling in the same complex. Then when i call them they say "condos are selling" "its a hot market" ALL LIES. Now they are saying i owe them the commision when they did nothing to earn it. If you go with a realtor they make nothing till you sell the property, so they are motivated to do something. All property guys is an over priced listing agent. Comfres is cheaper and houses sell with them. Also you have to pay the buyers agent as well so you dont save any money. The realtor would have been cheaper and i would have had a far better experience. Save yourself the money and the headache and get a realtor.
Jan 20, 2012
68 posts
71 upvotes
Barrie
I sold my last house on kijji and all we did was put in the offer as a condition "on approval of our lawyers". Worked great. Next time I would see my lawyer first and get them to provide me with the offer contract as that way they are familiar with the contract and will charge less. This is not rocket science and as far as agents go they will all screw you for a sale just some do it nicer. Btw I got $3000 less than what the realator was going to list for.
Jul 10, 2017
4 posts
Thats what happened to me. I listed with property guys. They claimed all these savings but failed to tell me that no buyers agent will come out with a client unless i pay their commission, which translates to no savings. I ended up paying their fee and renting the place out. All property guys does is put it on MLS and give you brochures for 3000. not worth it!
Aug 22, 2017
1 posts
Don't list with Property Guys!! A lot of promises and no follow through. Terrible customer service, impossible to get a return phone call, the "legal pro" is hard to reach and the continued emails for the upsell to buy more of Property Guys marketing are ridiculous. Some of the packages they sell are upwards of $6000, non-refundable and you still need to pay the buyers agent commission .. so where exactly is the savings!! Property Guys is really good at marketing themselves, offering vague statistics as to how many homes sell using their service and tapping in to our greed and general dislike of real estate agents. I would estimate that 2 in 10 are lucky and sell using Property Guys. It's a lot of hassle and a very expensive life lesson. Just find a good real estate agent.
Oct 16, 2017
1 posts
I am a realtor and inquired to a FSBO regarding her property and if she was "co operating with agents"

Let me tell you, she called me.
The seller and had NO CLUE what i was referring too, said she was working with Property Guys and she had no clue what she was doing, they gave her my name and number and told her too call me.
Now this lady was calling a Realtor, and she did not know what to say, she didn't know why I was calling or what to say to me...what if I was a buyer?
SO property Guys take their money, make sure all leads generated about that property go to the corresponding number or email and than hand them out to the seller to fend for themselves?
and THATS worth anything!?

The whole commission thing, I understand people hate to see others do well. But lets break it down for you 9-5ers who go to work for 40 hours a week and collect your pay check every 2 weeks at the same time.

We are entrepreneurs, now if you aren't one, you wont understand so let me tell you what that is... It is a person who will work 70-80 hours a week just so they dont have to work for anyone else.
So out of that "huge pay check" we make from a sale, we pay marketing (highly expensive!) this gets your home exposure (and not on KIJIJI- where no serious buyer will be searching anyways, these people want deals, so what makes you think you will get the most money for your home this way?), we also pay our brokerage, and than that guy called C.R.A, oh and that 5% commission is split in half at first between the listing and selling agent....do the math, not left with much depending on what spit you are on.

But you are right, why should I work hours on end for people who are not loyal and I may never see a dime out of in hopes of some money to...pay my mortgage or phone bill just like the rest of you...Because my hard work is behind the scenes and not seen you think we push some papers..ill tell you its a ton of 15 hour days (YES FOR PEOPLE WHO WE HAVE CONTRACTS WITH) and for people without.
So I ask, because now instead of being ignorant to the profession which is highly regulated like any other, now that you understand, would you not want me too work that hard for you?

-Advice
-Experience
-ONE ON ONE
-Open Houses (you don't have too run)
-Negotiations and legal documents (we understand) explained too you
-clauses in offers that are seen in the industry to try and manipulate - we can catch for you because we are in the industry and see it every day
-Buyers who are serious and motivated (no pre approval? you wont be getting in my car or any other realtors)
-More showings (equals more exposure and more potential sales/word of mouth)
-More offers (known fact)
-your home PRICED properly, as we have access to a database that YOU DONT
-In actuality, the 23,000$ you dish out on that 400,000 home of yours , cancels itself out most of the time and you end up with the exact same price (most of the time more), but your home is sold faster, and you dont have to deal with it, we do.

So lets step back and realize that this is a service that is proven and that is paid for.
Its a job that not everyone can do but the ones who do, love it, and that shines through in their work
Yes you are covered to an extent through our umbrella of insurance
Don't let a scummy realtor who chose to act like a used car sales man and only go for the money give you a bitter taste, there are a lot of good honest reliable ones out there (myself included)
that love the job, love to help people and work damn hard for their money.

I have a background in Health Care I was a Registered Dental Hygienist for 8 years prior to this so I don't appreciate people using miss-guided information they believe to be correct to judge the ability or the price tag of a job.

You get what you pay for.
If you think hiring a professional is expensive, try not hiring one!

Also the propety guys and comfree are not going away, and thats fine, they dont have to bash others in the industry , if you work properly and you get the job done you should have to bash Realtors, arent you under a brokerage ?

there are clients to go around, and at the end of the day honesty and integrity shine through and always win.

To each their own, just do yourself a favor as a client , be better informed and before you choose any one , realtor/comfree/ or property guys, do some research and/or interviews and chose who you would work best with and not based on price....isnt that what you would want ....A realtor to work on the best working partnership and not price or how much commission,

- Think about that .

Regards.

-L