• Last Updated:
  • Sep 19th, 2014 12:08 pm
Tags:
None
May 6, 2007
785 posts
301 upvotes

Selling used car in Ontario - how to?

Selling used car in the next couple of weeks. Never done this before. What is needed, what is the best way to do it? Any advice appreciated. What scams to look out for?
16 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41802 posts
30056 upvotes
Center of Universe
Seller is only required to purchase the UVIP (Used Vehicle Information Package).
Safety and E-test is optional as the buyer is responsible to have them completed in order to register the vehicle under their name.
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2009
1170 posts
122 upvotes
Mississauga
which car is it? message me details.
Deal Expert
Jul 5, 2004
27438 posts
6807 upvotes
Safety and E-test is optional, but you'll more for the vehicle if you get those things done.
Banned
Mar 7, 2007
5347 posts
3026 upvotes
See this thread: selling-my-car-kijiji-tips-avoiding-scammers-697828/

Read my posts #30 and #34... while the buyer does not want to buy a lemon, for you, the seller, the most important thing is to get paid...

There are three ways to get paid, and all buyers that are honest will have no problems working with you in any of the following:

NUMBER 1 - Go with the buyer to his (or her) bank branch, and observe the bank draft being issued right then and there. This is done for your protection, so you get a legit instrument, and not a fake / forgery.

NUMBER 2 - If both parties have the same bank, go with the buyer to his (or her) bank branch, and ask the teller to transfer money to your account. Advantages: transfer is immediate and there is no hold. Also, no fee associated to the creation of a bank draft. Disadvantage: only works if buyer and seller use the same bank.

NUMBER 3 - If the buyer shows up already with a bank draft... well, this one is harder. It is too late to go to the branch together and do NUMBER 1 above. The only way I would feel comfortable would be to go back to the same branch that issued the draft and verify the document. Then, the buyer can take possession of the car.

Good luck.
Aug 29, 2014
309 posts
32 upvotes
Thunder Bay, ON
really simple actually.

1. Decide a set price and if you're selling "as is" or "safetied/certified" (may require e-test in southern ontario)
2. Pick up a UVIP from MTO and make sure you know your VIN when you pick it up
3. Make sure you have your ownership and keep the plate portion of the ownership yourself.
4. If you're privately selling then make a nice detailed post on Kijiji (don't give your address away because this can lead to theft)
5. Schedule times for potential buyers, show them the UVIP and give any other information about the vehicle. Let them test drive it (they may want a ~30min test drive). Let them take it for a safety from their preferred mechanic if they are serious about buying (don't pay for this).
6. They will haggle and try to get the price down this is where you need to either be flexible or stubborn (remember he can just take his business elsewhere and so can you)
7. Once you've settled on a price have them transfer the money to you (e-transfer, cash, directly through bank, or certified cheque, DON'T ACCEPT UNCERTIFIED CHEQUES AND MAKE SURE THE TRANSFER COMPLETES BEFORE SIGNING THE BILL OF SALE)
8. Once funds are transferred sign the bill of sale in the UVIP, fill out the transfer application on the back of the vehicle ownership. Give him the signed bill of sale with the correct amount, the rest of the UVIP, the filled out ownership transfer (you keep the plate portion), safety and e-test certificates if you did them, the keys, and the car.
9. take your plates off the vehicle and keep it insured until he puts his insurance on the vehicle (should be done in same day).

I recently bought a used vehicle the seller was really friendly and kept his plates and insurance on until i got my own from MTO and setup my insurance. You may want to do this depending on the situation if he needs to transport the vehicle to a mechanic or to MTO.
Mar 28, 2009
233 posts
38 upvotes
Jaimz2k wrote: I recently bought a used vehicle the seller was really friendly and kept his plates and insurance on until i got my own from MTO and setup my insurance. You may want to do this depending on the situation if he needs to transport the vehicle to a mechanic or to MTO.
I would not do this under any circumstances. If you keep your plates on the car after selling it, you will be responsible for all parking tickets and red light camera tickets until the buyer puts his own plates on. Except for the (short) test drive, do not allow the buyer to drive the vehicle before it is transferred to his name. Any accident that occurs while it is registered and insured under your name will affect your insurance record.

If the buyer wants to have it inspected by a mechanic, offer to drive it to one nearby (such as a dealership). I wouldn't put potentially hundreds of kilometers on the odometer driving the car to the mechanics of random people who will probably flake out anyway. Ask for a deposit if the buyer insists on taking to a mechanic far away from you.

Remember that the car doesn't need to be physically present to transfer the ownership and get new plates.
Aug 29, 2014
309 posts
32 upvotes
Thunder Bay, ON
dllexport wrote: I would not do this under any circumstances. If you keep your plates on the car after selling it, you will be responsible for all parking tickets and red light camera tickets until the buyer puts his own plates on. Except for the (short) test drive, do not allow the buyer to drive the vehicle before it is transferred to his name. Any accident that occurs while it is registered and insured under your name will affect your insurance record.

If the buyer wants to have it inspected by a mechanic, offer to drive it to one nearby (such as a dealership). I wouldn't put potentially hundreds of kilometers on the odometer driving the car to the mechanics of random people who will probably flake out anyway. Ask for a deposit if the buyer insists on taking to a mechanic far away from you.

Remember that the car doesn't need to be physically present to transfer the ownership and get new plates.
No red light cameras and plenty of parking in thunder bay. Like I said it depends on the situation. My mechanic was 2.5km's from where I purchased the vehicle
Sep 17, 2014
80 posts
34 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
you may advertise your car on Kijiji or Autotrader, Watch out for any one sending you email asking to mail you Draft and send you a company to pick up the car, A good luckdraft could look good, real and may clear after 5 business days, but according to the bank it could bounce up to 15 days later. Always do transaction in person, make sure you sign the back of the ownership at "Seller Signature" box, and take your plates off. even if plates are expired, make sure they are off so the new buyer cant use them on 407 or parking violations.

good luck
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2012
1275 posts
595 upvotes
Cambridge
I am in the same boat, looking to sell my Sentra as I want to buy a new car. Initially I was thinking I would buy the new car first, without selling the old car so that I have a car and don't have the pressure to buy new asap, remove plates and insurance from old to the new car & then can sell it whenever I have a good offer. But then this obviously creates a problem for test drive & if the buyer wants to take the car to mechanic.
That means I essentially have to keep my plates and insurance on the old car? Does everyone do it the same way or am I missing something?
Aug 29, 2014
309 posts
32 upvotes
Thunder Bay, ON
jansh84 wrote: I am in the same boat, looking to sell my Sentra as I want to buy a new car. Initially I was thinking I would buy the new car first, without selling the old car so that I have a car and don't have the pressure to buy new asap, remove plates and insurance from old to the new car & then can sell it whenever I have a good offer. But then this obviously creates a problem for test drive & if the buyer wants to take the car to mechanic.
That means I essentially have to keep my plates and insurance on the old car? Does everyone do it the same way or am I missing something?
most people will keep plates and insurance on the vehicle until its sold unless its not even fit to drive. You can always get a second set of different plates from MTO for your new vehicle ($23 I believe). You don't want to take insurance off of it though in case of theft or vandalism wherever its parked.
Banned
Jun 2, 2009
2738 posts
181 upvotes
Toronto
advertise it as is, let the seller come test drive it, give them a bill of sale. they can get uvip and all that if they want....of the 2 cars i sold i never did anything beyond what i just mentioned.
Idle hands are the devils playthings
Aug 29, 2014
309 posts
32 upvotes
Thunder Bay, ON
HeavenLeigh wrote: advertise it as is, let the seller come test drive it, give them a bill of sale. they can get uvip and all that if they want....of the 2 cars i sold i never did anything beyond what i just mentioned.
Your post confuses me

I assume you meant buyer not seller
the bill of sale comes in the UVIP which the seller is responsible for getting from the MTO ($20)
You can show them the UVIP but don't give it to them until they have purchased the vehicle
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2012
1275 posts
595 upvotes
Cambridge
HeavenLeigh wrote: advertise it as is, let the seller come test drive it, give them a bill of sale. they can get uvip and all that if they want....of the 2 cars i sold i never did anything beyond what i just mentioned.
Don't I legally need to have the UVIP for selling my vehicle even if its as is?
Jaimz2k wrote: most people will keep plates and insurance on the vehicle until its sold unless its not even fit to drive. You can always get a second set of different plates from MTO for your new vehicle ($23 I believe). You don't want to take insurance off of it though in case of theft or vandalism wherever its parked.
Its not just a set of plates, I'll need a the sticker as well, right? With insurance I think there is something available at very low rate which includes certain coverage one isn't driving the vehicle on road.
But as it seems I need to have both the things on the old car so I should get the new one only once the old one is sold. Is it ok to ask buyers/dealers to wait for like 4-5 days once I finalize the deal with them, depending on whatever I am able to secure first?
Aug 29, 2014
309 posts
32 upvotes
Thunder Bay, ON
jansh84 wrote: Its not just a set of plates, I'll need a the sticker as well, right? With insurance I think there is something available at very low rate which includes certain coverage one isn't driving the vehicle on road.
But as it seems I need to have both the things on the old car so I should get the new one only once the old one is sold. Is it ok to ask buyers/dealers to wait for like 4-5 days once I finalize the deal with them, depending on whatever I am able to secure first?
I'm unfamiliar with how the process should go in that situation. I would go to MTO and ask if there is something temporary you can get with your new vehicle until you can sell your old one. It may cost you though
Nov 13, 2007
881 posts
135 upvotes
Toronto
It's a little confusing. Some people say ... You sold the car as is. Not providing anything.

But to transfer the car, the buyer needs
1. Safety Inspection
2. E-test
3. Insurance.

If you're gonna take the plate off, right after you sell it, how can the buyer take the car to a garage for safety Inspection & e-Test? To sell a car, seller needs to provide
1. Safety Inspection.
2. e-Test
3. Driver Information package.

But #1 & #2 expire after certain period. So you might not want to get them until you get a firm deal. And you can work out with the buyer, who is gonna pay for it. If your price is low, buyer might be happy to pay for them.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)