Automotive

Selling a Vehicle without Certification (Ontario)

• Last Updated:
  • May 4th, 2016 4:45 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Apr 3, 2005
1144 posts
Oakville, ON

Selling a Vehicle without Certification (Ontario)

I've heard that if you don't state that a car is certified, you still have to certify it before completing a deal. The car must be stated as being sold in AS IS condition if you don't want to certify. Is this true?
Feb 1, 2006
9099 posts
214 upvotes
Assuming you mean a private sale, then no. There are virtually no regulations for private sellers, it's caveat emptor. Even the UVIP that is supposed required is not enforced, the buyer can just get it atthe Ministry when transferring ownership after sale.

From a practical perspective, though, there are very few instances where a smart buyer would purchase a vehicle without getting the seller to cert and e-test it. Just asking for headaches and nasty surprises. I'd only do it if it was a VERY low price compared to other vehicles for sale that are cert and e-tested. Even then, I'd still do my own mechanical inspection and want to see service records.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 3, 2005
1144 posts
Oakville, ON
I heard word that it was going to be enforced (i.e.: no AS IS specification means seller must certify).
134 posts
Toronto, Ontario
You need e-test and safety to register a car. Whoever does it, that's the agreement between seller and buyer. As a buyer, you can go and say, I'll pay for emission and safety, but if something expensive comes out of those reports, the seller has to take care of it. I think that's relatively fair, and i guess that's why they don't enforce who has to do it.
Deal Expert
Jun 9, 2003
22671 posts
868 upvotes
Markham, ON
I got a question...

Im planning to junk the car and sell it as it (cause it's got 315K on it)

for like 1.5k (hopefully)...for the Shell (it's still driveable ...passed etest in Aug...but definitely won't pass certification since it's got some issues)

Do I still need to setup insurance on it if I'm not going to drive it?...
How to I release ownership so I am not registered to the car?.. after the transaction.

cause it's still driveable...but wouldnt I still be registered to it....and if he gets into an accident...I dont want to be liable.
Nov 20, 2006
134 posts
Toronto, Ontario
thelefteyeguy wrote:
Oct 31st, 2007 5:01 pm
I got a question...

Im planning to junk the car and sell it as it (cause it's got 315K on it)

for like 1.5k (hopefully)...for the Shell (it's still driveable ...passed etest in Aug...but definitely won't pass certification since it's got some issues)

Do I still need to setup insurance on it if I'm not going to drive it?...
How to I release ownership so I am not registered to the car?.. after the transaction.

cause it's still driveable...but wouldnt I still be registered to it....and if he gets into an accident...I dont want to be liable.
If you look on the back on the ownership, there's a section the seller has to sing when they sell the car... problem is, without etest and certification, it can not be registered under a different name... so it still stays in your name... unless you take it to a graveyard, where they might pay you something for it just for parts (not necessarily a graveyard per se, but maybe a shop that collects your model for parts. Then let them deal with the registration, as they will register it in a different way (name doesn't come to me now).
Deal Fanatic
Feb 1, 2006
9099 posts
214 upvotes
A Ram wrote:
Oct 31st, 2007 11:34 am
I heard word that it was going to be enforced (i.e.: no AS IS specification means seller must certify).
Word form where?
Deal Expert
Jun 9, 2003
22671 posts
868 upvotes
Markham, ON
damn...I fear I won't get diddly from the junk yard.
Jul 14, 2006
808 posts
76 upvotes
Many tow truck operators will tow your car away for up to $200 (usually only $40 or $50). I got rid of my last beater that way.

The only way you can make some decent money is to part the car out, and that assumes there's enough of a market to sell the parts. IE: Part out a 92 Civic and everything will be gone in a week, try to part out a 90 Sentra and you'll be sitting on it for years......
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 3, 2005
1144 posts
Oakville, ON
Bullseye wrote:
Oct 31st, 2007 9:20 pm
Word form where?
From my auto mechanic teacher at my college. I couldn't take this as solid fact, so tht's why I posted it here to see what others say.
Jun 9, 2003
22671 posts
868 upvotes
Markham, ON
13inches wrote:
Nov 1st, 2007 10:30 am
Many tow truck operators will tow your car away for up to $200 (usually only $40 or $50). I got rid of my last beater that way.

The only way you can make some decent money is to part the car out, and that assumes there's enough of a market to sell the parts. IE: Part out a 92 Civic and everything will be gone in a week, try to part out a 90 Sentra and you'll be sitting on it for years......
I see lots of ppl parting out my car...98 EL Premium with leather...but I just dont have the time (patience) or expertise...I wanted to just selling it for $1k or more and hopefully someone else can part it out to make a bit more.
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2004
1998 posts
229 upvotes
I sold a car "as is" a few years ago (The e-brake cable was broken). The buyer got a trip permit and drove it home - 6 hours away.

Fast forward 6 months later - I get a notice in the mail that my car (the one I sold) was left in an underground parking lot and was towed away and impounded and I owed $400 in impound fees and the car would be scrapped in 14 days.

The guy had never registered the car and because it was still in my name, they thought I owned it. The funny thing is that the guy would have no way of knowing where it was or be able to get it out of impound even if he did know it was there.

I had to phone the local police and tell them that I'd sold the car and I'd never been to his city in my life and that I didn't have the guys name, (I'd moved and lost the info) so the cop said he'd just crush it.

If I'd felt like it, I could have gone up and got the car back for the $400 impound fee. Just the Stainless Steel header on the engine was worth triple that to buy new.

So, as a word of warning, keep all documentation after selling a car as is. Imagine if the guy had committed a crime with that vehicle (hit&run and dump the car etc.). I could've be on the hook for it unless I could prove otherwise.
Deal Expert
Jun 9, 2003
22671 posts
868 upvotes
Markham, ON
Chookman wrote:
Nov 1st, 2007 6:48 pm
I sold a car "as is" a few years ago (The e-brake cable was broken). The buyer got a trip permit and drove it home - 6 hours away.

Fast forward 6 months later - I get a notice in the mail that my car (the one I sold) was left in an underground parking lot and was towed away and impounded and I owed $400 in impound fees and the car would be scrapped in 14 days.

The guy had never registered the car and because it was still in my name, they thought I owned it. The funny thing is that the guy would have no way of knowing where it was or be able to get it out of impound even if he did know it was there.

I had to phone the local police and tell them that I'd sold the car and I'd never been to his city in my life and that I didn't have the guys name, (I'd moved and lost the info) so the cop said he'd just crush it.

If I'd felt like it, I could have gone up and got the car back for the $400 impound fee. Just the Stainless Steel header on the engine was worth triple that to buy new.

So, as a word of warning, keep all documentation after selling a car as is. Imagine if the guy had committed a crime with that vehicle (hit&run and dump the car etc.). I could've be on the hook for it unless I could prove otherwise.
:| that's what Im worried about
Nov 13, 2012
2 posts
MISSISSAUGA
Most scrap yards pay by the ton, if the car has no engine & no ownership they might take it as tin,
Nov 13, 2012
2 posts
MISSISSAUGA
That happend to a friend of mine, it was kinda his fault because the owners ship papers do have a sellers/buyer section that you give the Person that buys the cars, just make sure they sign it. Now if anything happens to the car later your hands are clean. But good advise, Always keep all the buyers info just in case
× < >