Semi-detached driveway

• Last Updated:
  • May 20th, 2018 9:37 am
[OP]
Dec 18, 2017
39 posts
7 upvotes

Semi-detached driveway

Very peculiar & strange question may be ;)

Most of the evenings, we see lot of kids (friends of my neighbour's kid who have a basketball court in their side) playing in our driveway. Sometimes have seen them hitting the basket ball on our Car (no damage though) & our decorative small front yard fence broken by them. Saw everything in our camera ;)
Of course i am also not so comfortable in seeing them using our driveway as a playground.
Not sure if this is common or any of you have experienced such things here....
what you advise here? If it happens to you, you just ignore as it is or give a polite warning to kids to keep our driveway Free (which we have done multiple times) or inform the neighbour?

Needless to mention that our neighbour is very good....
7 replies
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2010
8638 posts
2677 upvotes
Toronto
There are MANY threads on this very topic and opinions vary from one extreme to the other. Please feel free to search them and see the insanity. Only matters how YOU handle it.
Jan 1, 2013
682 posts
158 upvotes
Durham
Why not speak to them? My neighbours are 3 teens. Their friends come by and they put the net on the road and play in the evening/night. Sometimes they are so loud it wakes the kids up. What do I do? I simply ask them to quiet down for like 30 mins so the kids can fall asleep and they listen.

So, summary. Just talk to them in a nice manner.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
5922 posts
1159 upvotes
Maple
smartnew wrote:
May 17th, 2018 11:15 am
Needless to mention that our neighbour is very good....
Tell the kids play else where, tell your neighbour about your concern before things happen. Park the car so the kids can't play.
Last edited by teoconca on May 17th, 2018 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2011
2521 posts
1042 upvotes
Toronto
Hitting their basketball on your car is NOT cool imo. I wouldn't tolerate that if it was happening to me...
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
7241 posts
442 upvotes
The other concern here also is liability should someone, anyone get injured on your side of the property as their property insurance certainly wouldn't cover it. Matters would be made worse should it be proven that you knew about them being on your property performing activities and not saying anything.

Plus damaging your property, hitting vehicles shows signs of disrespect. What's going to happen when they finally break a window? It's a hassle you don't need, not too mention the tons of property taxpayer's money that are spent building parks that no one wants to use. Tell them to get their asses to the park where it belongs.
Signature removed due to external link rule violation.
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2009
2120 posts
973 upvotes
GTA
As mentioned above "the very good" neighbour would be more careful when it comes to your property. I always instructed my kids to stay on "our side" when playing outside. Usually parents are too lazy to walk with kids to the park or sports field. They let the kids roam outside while they sit and watch tv. Talk to your neighbours first, aak them politely to respect your property, if not take further steps.
Apr 10, 2017
513 posts
185 upvotes
I have a detached driveway but in between is my neighbor's basketball net. I don't mind it as A. I park my car inside the garage B. I used to play competitive ball myself, I understand

They don't play until the wee hours of the night though, latest would be sunset when we're still up and are just having dinner

Just give a polite warning. No point of having arguments with something minuscule as this especially nothing's been damaged (so far)

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (1 member and 1 guest)

smoky88