• Jul 5th, 2016 3:00 pm
Tags:
None
Dec 9, 2013
808 posts
805 upvotes
Toronto

Semi-detached housing

In terms of appreciation, we know detached housing appreciates the most. However, what about the rest? Do semi-detached properties appreciate as much as detached? If not, do they appreciate more than free-hold townhomes?

Does age matter? Im looking at older semi-detached properties (1970 style), would new free-hold townhomes appreciate more? Assuming all of the following are in the same location.
9 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jul 3, 2011
6517 posts
3798 upvotes
Thornhill
not as high as detached

generally more than townhouses - age, size and amenity dependent

in the grand scheme of things as long as the building is maintaned and reasonably uodated, age doesn't really matter because Toronto is filed with properties that are 75+ years old.
Sep 1, 2013
403 posts
97 upvotes
The detached homes are the most valuable because the land you own is 100% yours. Your structure doesn't connect with anything else, and you can re-zone/rebuild it to your heart's desire. (Plus all the privacy factors, lot sizes, etc.)

Using this logic, the food chain of property values is: detached > semi-detached > freehold townhomes > condo townhomes > condo apartments.

This theory works if the neighbourhood has a good mix of detached, semi-detached, and townhomes. But - in practice - this is not always true. If a neighbourhood doesn't have enough townhomes (a poor-mix neighbourhood), the bridge from condos to (semi-)detached is missing, and the remaining townhomes may appreciate faster than the semi-detached in the good-mix neighbourhood.

Look more closely at the demand/supply situation in the specific neighbourhood. You are interested in property appreciation - and not absolute values.
Banned
Dec 5, 2015
2038 posts
429 upvotes
Concord, ON
I agree sf>as>th generally for appreciation...but location trumps all.. IMO a TH in a good location will appreciate more than a sf in less desirable location
Jul 16, 2006
414 posts
211 upvotes
Semi's pricing has been exploding because of the lack of Detach houses being affordable, people are pushing Semi's to crazy 800k+ numbers
Deal Guru
Feb 2, 2014
11233 posts
3351 upvotes
Toronto
miscbrah1 wrote: In terms of appreciation, we know detached housing appreciates the most. However, what about the rest? Do semi-detached properties appreciate as much as detached? If not, do they appreciate more than free-hold townhomes?

Does age matter? Im looking at older semi-detached properties (1970 style), would new free-hold townhomes appreciate more? Assuming all of the following are in the same location.
As Ironcat said, it comes down to land. When you buy a condo, you're basically buying air space. With semis, you've got some land with restrictions. With detached, you generally get more land with little restrictions.

Land is valuable. There is a reason why knockdown homes on good lots are selling for over $1.5M in high demand areas.
Kevin Somnauth, CFA
Principal Broker/Owner - First Toronto Mortgage - MA (Ontario #13176, BC #X301007)
Real Estate Salesperson - Century 21 Innovative
Deal Fanatic
Dec 6, 2006
5805 posts
1972 upvotes
Toronto
rich24 wrote: Semi's pricing has been exploding because of the lack of Detach houses being affordable, people are pushing Semi's to crazy 800k+ numbers
Only 800k? Maybe 1-2 years ago, at least from the ones I saw.
Jul 16, 2006
414 posts
211 upvotes
boyohboy wrote: Only 800k? Maybe 1-2 years ago, at least from the ones I saw.
I my area around Markham Stoufville hospital. I am sure in Toronto Core it's well beyond that. Should have added the location
Deal Fanatic
Dec 6, 2006
5805 posts
1972 upvotes
Toronto
rich24 wrote: I my area around Markham Stoufville hospital. I am sure in Toronto Core it's well beyond that. Should have added the location
Don't even need Toronto Core. I was looking at some recent-build **condo townhouse in hwy7 x Bayview. They were around $750k 1-1/2 year ago and actually appeared to have some trouble selling back then. This spring/summer seems to have a sudden surge in price. Just the past month or so I noticed 3 of those condo townhouses were sold around $1m.

(I think those are the type "freehold with common elements", i.e. condo fee only for the shared roads and infrastructure, but not for the townhouse itself)
Jul 16, 2006
414 posts
211 upvotes
boyohboy wrote: Don't even need Toronto Core. I was looking at some recent-build **condo townhouse in hwy7 x Bayview. They were around $750k 1-1/2 year ago and actually appeared to have some trouble selling back then. This spring/summer seems to have a sudden surge in price. Just the past month or so I noticed 3 of those condo townhouses were sold around $1m.

(I think those are the type "freehold with common elements", i.e. condo fee only for the shared roads and infrastructure, but not for the townhouse itself)
I wanted to live on Bayview and I am sure you know how that went.