Sending a Dead Body Overseas

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 15th, 2017 2:13 pm
[OP]
May 7, 2017
290 posts
120 upvotes

Sending a Dead Body Overseas

How does one send a dead body overseas? A friend of mine just asked me this question cause her friend just died and needs to be sent to another country. Canada to Middle East.
6 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2017
1480 posts
788 upvotes
The next of kin needs to contact the authorities for the country involved, so as to determine what is needed.

Ie... If a Cdn dies abroad, the Dept of Foreign Affairs / In Country Consulate helps Cdns with info on how to repatriate remains.

There will be requirements that must be met, and permits / forms will be required to be completed to have the remains shipped / cleared thru Customs at both ends.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2003
16268 posts
1734 upvotes
Langley
Cremate and mail.
Deal Addict
May 14, 2009
4523 posts
246 upvotes
You'll need a letter from the health dept. the funeral home/creamatorium can usually take care of it on the requester's behalf, if they have all the required info.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
28245 posts
4214 upvotes
Ottawa
Call the Cargo department of the airline you choose and they will provide you with all the information and details.
Is it solipsistic here? Or is it just me?
Apr 26, 2010
166 posts
64 upvotes
Vancouver
i had to do this recently but from china back to canada, i contacted a funeral home here and they took care of everything. i just needed to have hospital documents from china and translated to English to process everything.
It was hard getting info from china as it took weeks to get everything done.

i would suggest contacting a funeral home over where the body will be shipped to as they would most likely know how everything will be done and can be done for you.