• Last Updated:
  • Nov 19th, 2017 7:14 am
Tags:
[OP]
Sep 14, 2007
654 posts
122 upvotes

Sending kids to catholic school

I heard there's a requirement to be married in a catholic church, otherwise you can't send kids there. Is this true? What does the school need to see during enrolment?
14 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2003
4388 posts
96 upvotes
GTA
Its simple.. you need to be catholic to send your kids
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
15778 posts
4674 upvotes
Ottawa
Depends on your municipality.
My kid goes to a Catholic school and my wife and I aren't "Catholic" (we were never baptized).
We chose the Catholic school over the Public school due to several criterias (ranking, program, community involvement and classes starting later etc...)
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2004
3254 posts
304 upvotes
Toronto
stryder1587 wrote:
Nov 11th, 2017 6:28 pm
I heard there's a requirement to be married in a catholic church, otherwise you can't send kids there. Is this true? What does the school need to see during enrolment?
The answer to your question depends entirely on where you live (which province and possibly which school board within the province), and potentially also depends on whether you are talking about elementary school or secondary school.
[OP]
Sep 14, 2007
654 posts
122 upvotes
I'm in Etobicoke, Toronto and considering for elementary school. Is every school different, or all schools within Toronto follow the same rule? How would a school know whether, I'm Catholic though? (I am, but my fiancé is not). But if asked for proof, I just have pics of my confirmation and possibly baptism. Would a principal ask for proof that you and/or spouse are catholic?
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2003
4388 posts
96 upvotes
GTA
Yes, you will need to show proof of your baptism to enroll.
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2004
3254 posts
304 upvotes
Toronto
The criteria are listed here:
https://www.tcdsb.org/FORPARENTS/Admiss ... fault.aspx

The TCDSB permits ernollment for children who are baptised Catholic, children who are not baptised but have one parent baptised Catholic, or children enrolled in a Catholic conversion course. All other children are prohibited from attending TCDSB elementary schools.
Oct 6, 2015
792 posts
400 upvotes
All you need to do around here is swear an oath that you're "Catholic". Being that there is no real definitive test for being Catholic, its an oath that basically anyone can swear.

Say what you will about the Catholic Church, but its often the situation that the "public" schools are absolute garbage (or vice versa), so the Catholic school "system" offers an alternative.
Nov 13, 2013
714 posts
244 upvotes
OTTAWA
JHW wrote:
Nov 11th, 2017 9:45 pm
The answer to your question depends entirely on where you live (which province and possibly which school board within the province), and potentially also depends on whether you are talking about elementary school or secondary school.
When people don't say where they are 99% they are in Toronto. As you say in Ontario it depends on the school boards rules. In most of the rest of the country they don't have Catholic public schools as it is not 1860 anymore.
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2004
3254 posts
304 upvotes
Toronto
fogetmylogin wrote:
Nov 15th, 2017 6:43 am
When people don't say where they are 99% they are in Toronto. As you say in Ontario it depends on the school boards rules.
Yes. I just checked the Ottawa Catholic board website, which explicitly says that non-Catholic kids are free to enroll if space is available, and space is indeed available. Very much a different scenario in the GTA.
In most of the rest of the country they don't have Catholic public schools as it is not 1860 anymore.
AFAIK most provinces never had publicly funded Catholic schools to begin with. QC and NL got rid of their publicly funded Catholic schools some time ago. AB and SK have them (but the extent seems to be limited). Ontario definitely has the most extensive and pervasive system.
Nov 13, 2013
714 posts
244 upvotes
OTTAWA
JHW wrote:
Nov 15th, 2017 8:50 am
Yes. I just checked the Ottawa Catholic board website, which explicitly says that non-Catholic kids are free to enroll if space is available, and space is indeed available. Very much a different scenario in the GTA.

AFAIK most provinces never had publicly funded Catholic schools to begin with. QC and NL got rid of their publicly funded Catholic schools some time ago. AB and SK have them (but the extent seems to be limited). Ontario definitely has the most extensive and pervasive system.
QC and Newfoundland both got rid of them 20 or so years ago. Nova Scotia did the same 40 years ago. BC funds to some extent all private schools but all public schools are secular.

People laugh when I say the protestant school system but that is what we originally had in Ontario a Catholic and Protestant system. One became secular and the other didn't. It is shocking we still have a religious publicly funded school system. I briefly considered catholic schools for my kids as the location is a little better but it is very religious even though I am sure most parents aren't anymore.
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2004
3254 posts
304 upvotes
Toronto
fogetmylogin wrote:
Nov 15th, 2017 8:59 am
People laugh when I say the protestant school system but that is what we originally had in Ontario a Catholic and Protestant system. One became secular and the other didn't. It is shocking we still have a religious publicly funded school system.
Agreed, but that's a whole other discussion that is beyond the bounds of the Parenting and Family forum!
May 8, 2009
1716 posts
447 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
burnt69 wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 4:07 pm
All you need to do around here is swear an oath that you're "Catholic". Being that there is no real definitive test for being Catholic, its an oath that basically anyone can swear.

Say what you will about the Catholic Church, but its often the situation that the "public" schools are absolute garbage (or vice versa), so the Catholic school "system" offers an alternative.
Depending on your personal beliefs, normally swearing something untrue in an oath is not a good idea. I wouldn't recommend doing this as a "loophole".
fogetmylogin wrote:
Nov 15th, 2017 6:43 am
When people don't say where they are 99% they are in Toronto. As you say in Ontario it depends on the school boards rules. In most of the rest of the country they don't have Catholic public schools as it is not 1860 anymore.
Or GTA. *Shrugs*. Unfortunate assumption on RFD.
JHW wrote:
Nov 15th, 2017 8:50 am
Agreed that Ottawa is more relaxed about it. Perhaps linked to Ottawa's historical and cultural Catholic demographic (French & Irish)? I don't think Ottawa Catholic schools are afraid of over-enrolling non-Catholic kids.
JHW wrote:
Nov 15th, 2017 12:02 pm
Agreed, but that's a whole other discussion that is beyond the bounds of the Parenting and Family forum!
+1.
Motorola phone. Linux on 2xcomputers. Brew beer & wine @home.
Home service reseller internet + FPL + antenna with streaming on smart TV
Wireless 1 line w/ Virgin on QC plan, few lines w/ Koodo to get phones, couple FreedomPop SIM's for roaming
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2006
2078 posts
499 upvotes
Our 3 kids went through the French Catholic School in Mississauga and we had to show proof we were Catholic when they enrolled.
May 8, 2009
1716 posts
447 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
webworm wrote:
Nov 17th, 2017 7:31 pm
Our 3 kids went through the French Catholic School in Mississauga and we had to show proof we were Catholic when they enrolled.
Did they require one parent to be Francophone as well?
Motorola phone. Linux on 2xcomputers. Brew beer & wine @home.
Home service reseller internet + FPL + antenna with streaming on smart TV
Wireless 1 line w/ Virgin on QC plan, few lines w/ Koodo to get phones, couple FreedomPop SIM's for roaming