Students

The SENECA COLLEGE Official Thread

Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2007
3904 posts
460 upvotes
sudoroot wrote:
Nov 7th, 2016 7:37 pm
Wow..good job dude. What position if I may ask? Did you have any experience in the technical field or was it 0?
I have no experience, It's a basic help desk job with a big Telecom company (one of the big 3, I'm not going to say which one just in case I end up jinxing it), but the pay is pretty decent and there are plenty of opportunities to move up since the organization is so huge. Sorry for the late reply, I turned off notifications.
Dec 5, 2007
55 posts
Hey guys, I'm trying to line up work for January. I'm starting computer programming and analysis. I still don't have a timetable. Can anyone share their timetable from the first semester so I can see when classes are and how much time these classes take up? Just for a general idea, I know it will be different.
Oct 17, 2016
32 posts
33 upvotes
Hi everyone, I'm curious as to why every here is talking more about the CPA / CTY programs rather than the ECT program? What makes the CPA / CTY programs seem more attractive to the vast majority of you? Is the job market for a computer engineer horrible? Is the program horrible?

I was considering on accepting my offer to ECT (Computer Engineer) but I'm having my doubts now....HELP!
Dec 29, 2014
23 posts
1 upvote
Scarborough, ON
Who would you guys recommend for DNC386?

-Ryan Lockhart
-Julio Garza
-Stephan Caneff
-Leila Mansoori
Dec 15, 2016
0 posts
Hi guys, I'm starting CTY program in Jan. Was wondering if anyone was able to successfully appeal to change their timetable for first semester in CTY or any other program that normally restricts changes for first semester? I emailed ICT academic adviser and program coordinator with no luck. Is it better to talk to them in person once the semester starts? Is there anyone else who is more helpful and could make the changes?
Deal Addict
Jun 4, 2007
1589 posts
239 upvotes
Toronto
samuraisage wrote:
Dec 15th, 2016 6:27 pm
Who would you guys recommend for DNC386?

-Ryan Lockhart
-Julio Garza
-Stephan Caneff
-Leila Mansoori
Ryan for sure, he's the best lecturer. Make sure to take good notes as you won't be given any supplementary material like powerpoints. Basically whatever he talks about in class will be on the midterm or final, very straightforward. Just don't expect him to hold your hand for the labs, you can take Julio for that.
Dewtus wrote:
Dec 16th, 2016 1:33 pm
Hi guys, I'm starting CTY program in Jan. Was wondering if anyone was able to successfully appeal to change their timetable for first semester in CTY or any other program that normally restricts changes for first semester? I emailed ICT academic adviser and program coordinator with no luck. Is it better to talk to them in person once the semester starts? Is there anyone else who is more helpful and could make the changes?
Don't know about the core courses but I was able to change my APC100 section and move to a different timeslot. If you need to change that or EAC150 talk to an advisor at the English and Liberal Studies office.
Dec 19, 2016
1 posts
Hi. i have been researching on IT Networking programs in ON. This CNS at Seneca looks more attractive to me mainly because i have more experience in Networking and in not interested in Programming. How would you rate it going to Seneca than other colleges (GBC, Centenial, Humber)? I guess im too late for Jan at Seneca i can still go to GBC, do u recommend it? How was the experience? Teaching? is there any Labs involved, Parking etc?????? please guide, Will appreciate. Thnx
Jan 2, 2017
38 posts
2 upvotes
Hi guys,

what semester/year do you get to choose what career path to take in the CTY program?

For recent grads how much did tuition and books cost?
Last edited by Vieedo on Jan 3rd, 2017 3:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Aug 9, 2016
3 posts
Can anyone recommend an easy Arts & Humanities gen ed course? I need to take one and was hoping to do it over the summer (preferably online or at newnham). Thanks!
Jan 8, 2017
2 posts
Hey guys,

I have finished the first semester of CTY and wondering when the actual grades are posted?

I see them on student center but they look incomplete. I mean i.e. I have C for ULI and according to my calculations it would be C even if I have never showed up for my final exam (final exam is worth 35% of the grade and I was nearly perfect for all my quizzes/assignments/midterm). Is there a way to see how grades are composed or do I just need to wait a little longer?
Mar 5, 2015
198 posts
173 upvotes
Toronto
zelenski wrote:
Jan 9th, 2017 8:32 am
Hey guys,

I have finished the first semester of CTY and wondering when the actual grades are posted?

I see them on student center but they look incomplete. I mean i.e. I have C for ULI and according to my calculations it would be C even if I have never showed up for my final exam (final exam is worth 35% of the grade and I was nearly perfect for all my quizzes/assignments/midterm). Is there a way to see how grades are composed or do I just need to wait a little longer?
The grades are final as soon as they are shown in student center. You should email someone at Seneca.
Jan 8, 2017
2 posts
BartekD596 wrote:
Jan 11th, 2017 8:19 am
The grades are final as soon as they are shown in student center. You should email someone at Seneca.
Thank you for the reply. I actually did talk to the prof today and it was ... drrrrumroll... HUMAN ERROR. They just entered C instead of A+.

Beware of human errors.
Jan 23, 2017
2 posts
If you go through the CTY curriculum, you will see courses available as "Professional Options", those are the courses you can choose from a list of professional options which could potentially determine your career path. These course usually start from 4th semester.
I primarily chose Linux courses and that helped me a lot in getting a Linux job.
Vieedo wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2017 3:57 pm
Hi guys,

what semester/year do you get to choose what career path to take in the CTY program?

For recent grads how much did tuition and books cost?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)