Students

The SENECA COLLEGE Official Thread

Apr 29, 2017
1 posts
How does the seneca presidents honour list work? How do we know if we made it to the list?
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2007
2760 posts
493 upvotes
Toronto
Nord31 wrote:
Apr 6th, 2017 7:26 pm
Thanks for the answer, I appreciate it.

When it comes to jobs, is there potential for me to move up a company into higher paying jobs or will I just be stuck in a certain position and certain pay range? I've seen people say I should get certificates (on this forum, granted those threads were from 2009/2010), is that something you did to get the better job?
There is potential to move up, however most positions (like sys admin) do require CCNA and maybe ITIL. Right now, I am working at Deskside so it's just a step above Service Desk and didn't require any certification. But if you really want to make the good money, sys admin is where it's at.
Sep 2, 2015
69 posts
12 upvotes
East York, ON
SayyedahN20 wrote:
Apr 30th, 2017 8:40 pm
How does the seneca presidents honour list work? How do we know if we made it to the list?
It should show up on your transcripts. you need to have all grades A or A+
there are some other exceptions but for a normal full time student that's it. getting on the list doesn't get you anything more than an attaboy from David Agnew though.
Mar 6, 2015
228 posts
6 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
arreat89 wrote:
Aug 17th, 2007 10:02 am
Lastly, I hear all colleges have like some sort of Math and English assessment tests or something, is that true? What happens if you fail, do you not get accepted?
eiyu wrote:
Aug 17th, 2007 2:03 pm
They will dump you into a remedial course.
Like at Seneca, if you screw up the English Assessment test you'll end up in EAC 149 and of course once you pass that you have to take EAC150.
Some of the courses in College are hard to get into but in general Colleges are pretty easy to get into. My friend got into CET/ECT with Mature Student Status (He total sucks at math ) while getting into College may be easy, surviving the first semester may not be (for some individuals).
weedb0y wrote:
Aug 17th, 2007 2:49 pm
I know of few bozos from highschool days who ended up at seneca and at sheridan..though, might not be in programs that are hard though, but none the less, they did manage to get into their general programs
radeonboy wrote:
Aug 17th, 2007 9:09 pm
Dude you gotta try harder. Take it from someone who isn't bright academically in areas other than computers. My grade 12 average is like ~70 and I was lucky I wasn't dumped into remedial like other folks.
Remedial like the other poster said sucks because yes they make you take EAC149 first, then you still have to take EAC150.
General programs you should be fine if you can maintain an average above ~70.
BTW: Things in College go by really quick, so you really need to catch up and stay on course or else you will fall behind fast.
Good luck! You can do it!
BTW2: First semester is weeding out folks who don't belong. Like half of the people in my program didnt show up for 2nd semester, lol. 2nd semester things start to get even harder...
xiLLeNtz wrote:
Aug 27th, 2007 7:55 pm
i was looking at the courses im taking for 1st sem and it looked like a total breeze. but its like many people here makes it seem as if im under estimating it all.
eiyu wrote:
Aug 28th, 2007 3:28 am
It's pretty easy if you understand what you're doing. If you don't try to get help right away.
Given all the above, can taking the EAC150 course be somehow bypassed? I heard some Seneca applicants can waive their English assessment test if they have a good grade12 English grade or something.

Second question, for co-op eligibility, a student MUST get a minimum B grade in EAC150. So if the weeding out is true, any student got a low grade albeit higher than B in EAC150 is automatically disregarded for co-op?
Mar 6, 2015
228 posts
6 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
Can I ask anything about Seneca@York? Another thread about it was locked.
May 17, 2017
1 posts
Would anyone happen to know what textbooks are needed for the vet tech program? I am starting in September and I am trying to get everything I need ahead of time
Mar 6, 2015
228 posts
6 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
KenzieF505824 wrote:
May 18th, 2017 7:59 pm
Would anyone happen to know what textbooks are needed for the vet tech program? I am starting in September and I am trying to get everything I need ahead of time
Please search this forum or use tags
1) By searching this forum, the following two years old information is found
CalvinGear wrote:
Jul 23rd, 2012 6:32 pm
Hey Seneca Peopl I'm enrolled in the Vet Tech program and im looking for some used textbook that can potentially save me a bunch of money, as you all know text books are crazy expensive
I have my fall book list at the moment here is what is included in it (if you guys could point out what you feel would not be needed that would be great):
Clinical Anatomy and Physiology for Vet Techs
Pictorial Anatomy of a Cat
Clinical Behavior Medicine for Small Animals
Front Office Management for Vet Techs
Microbiology Laboratory Exercises
Common Diseases of Companion Animals
An Illustrated Guide to Veterinary Medical Terminology 3rd Edition
Veterinary Terminology Flash Cards
Animal Restraint for Veterinary Professionals
Essential Calculations for Veterinary Nurses and Techs
Clinical Textbook for Vet Techs 7th Edition
2) Use tags, 11 years ago information is found
Sep 2, 2015
69 posts
12 upvotes
East York, ON
cybercavalier wrote:
May 7th, 2017 4:00 am
Given all the above, can taking the EAC150 course be somehow bypassed?
Maybe if you took a similar course at another college.
Second question, for co-op eligibility, a student MUST get a minimum B grade in EAC150. So if the weeding out is true, any student got a low grade albeit higher than B in EAC150 is automatically disregarded for co-op?
Depends on the program. Bio coop needs b in eac150 but electronics engineering does not (in fact you don't even need to be able to speak English to teach electronics courses, and if they made Bs a requirement nobody would get into coop)
Jul 22, 2015
176 posts
32 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Seems like no one is taking IFS but based on labour market information, people are finding positions in the 60k range.
Oct 12, 2014
1 posts
Markham, ON
IFS grad here! It's still a relatively new program with a lot of hiccups and at a lot of times I felt like a guinea pig... One year they'd do something, and the next year it's completely different/revamped. However, I think the new curriculum is a lot more refined and much better than the courses I took.

I'd say most people in my program found jobs straight out of school or a few months after. I think the actual statistic is something like 98% of the graduating class find jobs within the field in 6 months or less. The smartest of the bunch went on to work at places like Deloitte, RBC, or other good consulting firms. Some people went to work in SOCs which are great entry-level jobs.

In terms of pay, it obviously depends on what job you get. I find most SOCs in Toronto are willing to pay 40-45k for new grads. Raises come fast and easy if you're willing to get certs and move jobs.
Jul 22, 2015
176 posts
32 upvotes
Toronto, ON
cybercavalier wrote:
Jun 1st, 2017 12:54 am
SO is IFS the trendy job market to get into?
Security is the future! Also labour market stats say above average job trend.
Mar 6, 2015
228 posts
6 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
TorontoTacos wrote:
Jun 3rd, 2017 3:00 pm
Security is the future! Also labour market stats say above average job trend.
Well, as if I were a newbie to the field, I cannot say much about IFS. However, can the stats be shown?
Jun 4, 2017
1 posts
Hey all i was wondering how Seneca at York for CPA (computer programming and analysis) I read some bad reviews about the school and is wondering if its true or not i have decide soon if im going to pay depsoit and go or not , Can someone help me ?

Thank you very much and have a great day