Students

The SENECA COLLEGE Official Thread

Nov 15, 2017
3 posts
Hey just got accepted to CTY. I was wondering. Which is better: CPA or CTY ? For employability that is.
And how is the Seneca Residence in Newnham ?
Sep 2, 2015
79 posts
16 upvotes
East York, ON
CTY will let you get a less stressful job in the long run. Pay is probably about the same. If I had to pick I'd stick to CTY. Newnham residence is expensive and you have people coming into your room for cleaning every day from what i've read elsewhere. Not sure why you'd move there though since cty is taught at a different campus. the shuttle is free but also time consuming, i figure you can find a place closer to york for the same money
Nov 15, 2017
3 posts
Silkweave wrote:
Nov 17th, 2017 11:31 pm
CTY will let you get a less stressful job in the long run. Pay is probably about the same. If I had to pick I'd stick to CTY. Newnham residence is expensive and you have people coming into your room for cleaning every day from what i've read elsewhere. Not sure why you'd move there though since cty is taught at a different campus. the shuttle is free but also time consuming, i figure you can find a place closer to york for the same money
Ty for the reply but i messed it up... Actually is ECT instead of CTY and ECT is at Newnham. The statement is the same for ECT ?
Sep 2, 2015
79 posts
16 upvotes
East York, ON
d1gnub86 wrote:
Nov 18th, 2017 11:18 am
Ty for the reply but i messed it up... Actually is ECT instead of CTY and ECT is at Newnham. The statement is the same for ECT ?
ECT has a bit of both, as well as covering lots of electronics stuff, not just computers (I'm in Electronics at Newnham myself so we share some courses). The reason why CTY lets you get a less stressful job is because it's networking oriented (and ECT covers some of that too, just not in as much depth) and networking jobs mostly involve you waiting around for something to go wrong, as opposed to a programming job where you always have something to do, and are often overworked.
Nov 15, 2017
3 posts
Silkweave wrote:
Nov 18th, 2017 9:51 pm
ECT has a bit of both, as well as covering lots of electronics stuff, not just computers (I'm in Electronics at Newnham myself so we share some courses). The reason why CTY lets you get a less stressful job is because it's networking oriented (and ECT covers some of that too, just not in as much depth) and networking jobs mostly involve you waiting around for something to go wrong, as opposed to a programming job where you always have something to do, and are often overworked.
Nice to know. I honestly was hoping to land a job at computer programming actually. Any advices? Can i change to CPA later if it's better suited to become a programmer? Or should i finish and then transfer to a uni and get a Bsc?
Mar 6, 2015
231 posts
6 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
Silkweave wrote:
Nov 18th, 2017 9:51 pm
d1gnub86 wrote:
Nov 19th, 2017 7:26 am
Nice to know. I honestly was hoping to land a job at computer programming actually. Any advices? Can i change to CPA later if it's better suited to become a programmer? Or should i finish and then transfer to a uni and get a Bsc?
Do computer related diplomas or advanced diplomas hold that good of job prospects?
Sep 2, 2017
138 posts
73 upvotes
Canada
cybercavalier wrote:
Nov 19th, 2017 9:45 am
Do computer related diplomas or advanced diplomas hold that good of job prospects?
yes co-op if possible, it gives you handsy on experience
Sep 2, 2015
79 posts
16 upvotes
East York, ON
d1gnub86 wrote:
Nov 19th, 2017 7:26 am
You can get a job as a programmer with your current program just fine. I can program but I wouldn't want to be doing it for a living. Obv it's your life, I can only give general advice.
Sep 2, 2015
79 posts
16 upvotes
East York, ON
cybercavalier wrote:
Nov 19th, 2017 9:45 am
That's what I'm hearing. But this also makes them popular, I wouldn't be surprised to see the field become oversaturated in a few years. Everybody and their dog wants to become a programmer. It's why I recommend networking to guys who like computers but aren't enamored with programming. The work is easier and also has good pay prospects. The downside is that networking is the most boring subject I've ever seen. That's probably a big factor in why it's not as popular.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2007
2770 posts
494 upvotes
Toronto
My friend took CNS with Co-op and has a government job as a deskside, making well over 65K. So I guess it's possible to make decent money from Diploma.
Jun 8, 2016
32 posts
20 upvotes
Hi,
I made a topic earlier about payroll @ seneca and it seems like it isn't an option (i spoke on the phone with the coordinator the other day and now i'm back to finding something worth doing).

http://www.senecacollege.ca/programs/fulltime/CTY.html

I'm thinking of applying for CTY @ seneca. The only question i have is, I literally have little to no experience or knowledge of computer at all. Will i be at a disadvantage when it comes to grasping and understanding everything? I read through a few topics and i noticed that doing the co-op is a must if i want to get a job after graduating. To anyone who is enrolled or even graduated, can you elaborate a bit more on this and confirm what must be done in order to secure a co-op? I just hope i can transfer some credits over if all goes planned!

Sorry for having 2 topics @+!
Feb 13, 2017
11 posts
1 upvote
Has anybody transferred to university after 2 semesters?

Whats the process like?