Students

The SENECA COLLEGE Official Thread

Jan 10, 2008
162 posts
8 upvotes
Toronto
, I have read and seen many recommend CTY over CNS as its more or less the same up to second year. So I've eliminated CNS - I am left with CTY or Computer and Network Support Technician at Humber. CTY is 3 years with co-op, Humber is 2 years and looks like no co-op!
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2003
1486 posts
50 upvotes
NickX wrote:
Jan 5th, 2018 12:41 pm
, I have read and seen many recommend CTY over CNS as its more or less the same up to second year. So I've eliminated CNS - I am left with CTY or Computer and Network Support Technician at Humber. CTY is 3 years with co-op, Humber is 2 years and looks like no co-op!
You can do CTY for 4 semesters (2 years) and take advantage of the co-op option then graduate early with a CNS. This is the route I took, along with a number of other posters on here. Here is my timeline:

Sem - 1
Sem - 2
Sem - 3
Co-op - 1
Sem - 4
Co-op - 2
Co-op - 3

Applied to switch to the CNS stream to graduate early. As you can see I did not do Sem 5 and 6 of the CTY course but at the same time, I was mindful with my courses to make sure that I have everything completed to graduate CNS by the end of Sem 4.
...life is nothing more than a journey through the consequences of our actions...

Kingsway Image Instagram || Gallery
Jan 4, 2018
1 posts
1 upvote
So what happens when you fail a course? Because im pretty sure I failed my ULI101 exam, which means I automatically fail the course.

Do they just automatically drop me from the 2nd semester courses that need ULI101 as a prerequisite?
Nov 15, 2017
6 posts
How's the job prospect for the co-op in the IT department ?
Good amount of opportunities at the intranet or the student has to find a job by himself ?
Sep 2, 2015
105 posts
19 upvotes
East York, ON
d1gnub86 wrote:
Jan 8th, 2018 12:26 pm
How's the job prospect for the co-op in the IT department ?
Good amount of opportunities at the intranet or the student has to find a job by himself ?
I dunno about IT but employees and even seneca rush to hire the top dogs. Try to get A+ in everything so that you're not wondering if you'll end up being left out because of your mediocre marks.
Nov 15, 2017
6 posts
Silkweave wrote:
Jan 10th, 2018 5:16 pm
I dunno about IT but employees and even seneca rush to hire the top dogs. Try to get A+ in everything so that you're not wondering if you'll end up being left out because of your mediocre marks.
That's always a good advice. I'll try my best.
Deal Addict
May 3, 2008
4421 posts
241 upvotes
Does anyone know if you can transfer a university credit you've done to count towards your general electives for a program like CTY requiring a humanities type of general elective?

I know you can transfer uni credits but just can't figure out if you can use university electives to count as general electives at Seneca.
Aug 10, 2017
4 posts
redroses wrote:
Oct 5th, 2017 11:09 pm
Man I got lucky with my class last semester then. There was only 10 of us max in that section. What exactly are you having issues with?
Sorry for the late response, it's really broad but pretty much everything in the lab section. Wiring the computers and routers was just utterly confusing, I could not understand the instructions at all.

If anyone reading this has finished DCN 386 and would like to help I'd appreciate it.

I'm not expecting anyone to help me for free of course, let me know if you're interested...
Apr 25, 2008
137 posts
6 upvotes
Scarborough
StiIImatic wrote:
Jan 4th, 2018 3:25 pm
Don't remember who to avoid, but I would highly recommend: Rahman - win213, Keith - dcn286, Andrew/Murray - ops235, Brian Douglas - win210 (not sure if he's still teaching there).
Seconding the recs but Brian Douglas left before the beginning Fall 2017. It was pretty sudden and no one knows why, at least among the student body. Not even a rumor.
THATSLAPS wrote:
Jan 5th, 2018 6:31 pm
So what happens when you fail a course? Because im pretty sure I failed my ULI101 exam, which means I automatically fail the course.

Do they just automatically drop me from the 2nd semester courses that need ULI101 as a prerequisite?
P much. And don't feel bad that you failed ULI. A LOT of people fail courses the first time in CNS/CTY and have to retake it.
eleuin wrote:
Jan 16th, 2018 9:10 pm
Sorry for the late response, it's really broad but pretty much everything in the lab section. Wiring the computers and routers was just utterly confusing, I could not understand the instructions at all.

If anyone reading this has finished DCN 386 and would like to help I'd appreciate it.

I'm not expecting anyone to help me for free of course, let me know if you're interested...
No worries, I'm pretty much replying to stuff late myself. I took DCN386 over the summer so my memory is fading but I can try? Is it the physical cabling, like going into the server room etc?
Jun 8, 2016
53 posts
20 upvotes
anyone know a quiet place to study and take naps at seneca@york? Starting 1st sem tmr for CTY and i'm pretty dam excited!
Jan 10, 2008
162 posts
8 upvotes
Toronto
I have this ULI study group today, is this necessary on the first week? Also, parking at S@Y is absurd, forgot how expensive it is to park. Looking into the permit
Mar 6, 2015
302 posts
15 upvotes
glow123123 wrote:
Jan 17th, 2018 1:59 pm
anyone know a quiet place to study and take naps at seneca@york? Starting 1st sem tmr for CTY and i'm pretty dam excited!
Try student lounges. Or in study rooms in the library if you are a person who can fall asleep in the neighborhood of books.
Jun 14, 2017
89 posts
10 upvotes
Currently in Jan semester for CNS, how are the tests like? Are the answers from the PowerPoints ?

Also anyone have any advice or tips for success? Greatly appreciated !
Jan 21, 2018
1 posts
Im writing my pre-assement test tomorrow for bioinformatics, does anyone know anything about this program or the pre-assement (logic test specifically) tests layout ?