Students

The SENECA COLLEGE Official Thread

Jan 24, 2018
84 posts
18 upvotes
What should I be expecting for the Applicant Profile, in terms of time, questions, etc?
Jun 19, 2018
2 posts
Hey guys I am in my 2nd LASTsemester for CPA, couldn't get into Co-op. I lately found out I am not good at coding and don't enjoy it as much. I am already in much debt from dropping my other program in Accounting @ Humber. Idk what I should do...
any advice for a fellow student
Mar 25, 2013
253 posts
106 upvotes
Toronto
HelpPlease1994 wrote:
Jun 20th, 2018 11:00 pm
Hey guys I am in my 2nd LASTsemester for CPA, couldn't get into Co-op. I lately found out I am not good at coding and don't enjoy it as much. I am already in much debt from dropping my other program in Accounting @ Humber. Idk what I should do...
any advice for a fellow student
What about CTY or CNS?
DroidKid
Mar 25, 2013
253 posts
106 upvotes
Toronto
CNS graduate here (was enrolled in CTY but found a job graduated CNS instead)class of 2012.

I still think CTY and CNS are one of the best programs out there. For any of you in the program now and say "I'm never going to use this stuff in my job" trust me you will lol. I hated scripting and coding but now I use it daily to automate a lot of tasks.

Now a question for anyone doing any post graduate stuff. I been looking into Senecas cyber security graduate certificate program. link to progtam

Is anyone currently enrolled in it? I'm looking to get some feedback it looks like a fairly new program. I work full time now as a system admin (not your standard system admin, see my next post for details) and I'm looking to gain more knowledge in the cyber security side of things, wondering if anyone had any thought!
Last edited by droidkid on Jul 17th, 2018 4:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DroidKid
Jul 22, 2015
244 posts
73 upvotes
Toronto, ON
droidkid wrote:
Jul 11th, 2018 11:23 pm
CNS graduate here (was enrolled in CTY but found a job graduated CNS instead)class of 2012.

I still think CTY and CNS are one of the best programs out there. For any of you in the program now and say "I'm never going to use this stuff in my job" trust me you will lol. I hated scripting and coding but now I use it daily to automate a lot of tasks.

Now a question for anyone doing any post graduate stuff. I been looking into Senecas cyber security graduate certificate program. link to progtam

Is anyone currently enrolled in it? I'm looking to get some feedback it looks like a fairly new program. I work full time now as a system admin and I'm looking to gain more knowledge in the cyber security side of things, wondering if anyone had any thought!
You got a job as a system admin with just a CNS diploma no co op, no experience? Did you have a hook up??
Mar 25, 2013
253 posts
106 upvotes
Toronto
TorontoTacos wrote:
Jul 17th, 2018 4:23 pm
You got a job as a system admin with just a CNS diploma no co op, no experience? Did you have a hook up??
I should probably rephrase that a bit, I do sys admin on the desktop side of things (not so much server setups and so forth). Responsible for a number of different things such as image testing/creation, responsible for new technology, various projects, patching, and automation. We don't really have your standard system admin anymore, we have a server team but I thats mostly just configuration. My role is more of a senior tier 3 support role, we're just constantly evolving. No co-op by choice, got a really good summer gig back then. Started off as a field tech worked my way up. I definitely gained experience along the way but didn't start out where I am today.

Sorry for the confusion.
DroidKid
Jul 17, 2018
2 posts
Finishing up 2nd Sem CPA. I transferred to CPA from CET( basically took all CPA courses except APC100, had to replace it with LNX155).So I'm taking apc in sem2 instead of a gen ed. Problem is if I want to get into coop after sem3 I me will likely run into issues because I think they require you to complete your gen Ed's by then but I had to do apc this sem. Is there a possibility that I can get a waiver for coop or an exception since I still took 5 courses 1st sem and taking 5 courses this sem?

Also anyone know good profs for CPA Sem3 and profs I should avoid?
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2003
1496 posts
61 upvotes
AbdulRehmanM3799 wrote:
Jul 18th, 2018 12:30 am
Finishing up 2nd Sem CPA. I transferred to CPA from CET( basically took all CPA courses except APC100, had to replace it with LNX155).So I'm taking apc in sem2 instead of a gen ed. Problem is if I want to get into coop after sem3 I me will likely run into issues because I think they require you to complete your gen Ed's by then but I had to do apc this sem. Is there a possibility that I can get a waiver for coop or an exception since I still took 5 courses 1st sem and taking 5 courses this sem?

Also anyone know good profs for CPA Sem3 and profs I should avoid?
First term of co-op occurs after 3rd semester. When I went through the program, we had to take a co-op class during 3rd semester. Did you bother to go to the co-op information sessions to ask these questions?
...life is nothing more than a journey through the consequences of our actions...

Kingsway Image Instagram || Gallery
Jul 17, 2018
2 posts
I talked to the program advisor Mariyam and she showed me a graph and said that I cant take coop if I haven taken gen eds. Should I also talk to the coop coordinator after talking to the advisor? What if the adviser minds me doing that. Grades arnt a problem for me as I am performing pretty well this semester too and I had a very good GPA last semester.
Jul 22, 2015
244 posts
73 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Starting CTY in Sept, any tips from anyone who has completed semester 1? Any tips would be great :)
Dec 15, 2016
1 posts
Has anyone been able to add Fall semester courses to cart? Early enrolment for me is tomorrow (Aug .7), I can only see summer courses listed, and no way to change the term to 'Fall'...
Feb 13, 2017
17 posts
1 upvote
Question for any 3rd semester CTY students:

Is it necessary to take a general education course this semester? Do I need the credit to graduate? Cause there is already 5 mandatory courses to take and I dont want to add a sixth.
Deal Addict
May 18, 2009
4780 posts
839 upvotes
Toronto
Thinking of a career change here because i feel that my gender gives me at a disadvantage. I took the law clerk program 4 years back and have been working as a legal asst. Got laid off.

What's hot in the near future that could also use my skills as a legal asst? I was thinking property mgmt.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (1 member and 0 guests)

KelseyF13772