Students

The SENECA COLLEGE Official Thread

Deal Fanatic
May 18, 2009
5449 posts
1119 upvotes
Richmond Hill
anyone know of any cheap parking at Markham and/or Newnham campus? I usually take the shuttle bus from Markham to newnham
Apr 6, 2019
1 posts
Can anyone let me know what to expect for the HWD101 exam and the ULI101 exam? I've just re-read all my labs and notes, hoping HWD is more or less like the other tests, ULI more like the quizzes with scripting added?
Dec 1, 2017
8 posts
4 upvotes
Can anybody offer their co-op placement experiences? Specifically companies, roles, job responsibilities, pay.
May 12, 2017
1 posts
2 upvotes
May be too late to be of use to you now, but I was a CTY student and got my coop at a bank within information security (shift role). I extended my coop a few times (1 yr total). Turned out that I liked it more than my CTY course content. Shortly after returning from my coop I got a full-time offer and took it. During the coop, pay would work out to mid 30k annually + a small shift premium.

I've been told bank coops can vary a fair bit depending on your role. Supposedly some don't provide you with enough work to do and you can end up doing meaningless work with little to no responsibility. Mine afforded me 90% of the responsibilities of the full-time role, so it was a really good opportunity to learn a bunch. That being said, lots of what I learned wasn't directly applicable to CTY subject matter and wouldn't necessarily help me if I wanted to go for a Sysadmin role in the future.

If I could offer past-me some advice:

First, look at your coop as the stepping stone for your future. Unless you are desperate for money, I wouldn't use pay as your main criteria. Sure, one coop may pay a bit more than another, but that difference in pay will be minuscule compared to how much you will earn down the line. With that in mind, focus on what position is going to put you on the best upward trajectory.

Secondly, don't be too close-minded about what roles you should/shouldn't apply to. I only applied to 1 infosec role because I assumed I wouldn't be competitive with the applicants coming from infosec programs. Turns out my manager was perfectly fine hiring non-infosec students so long as they had some background in networking and related topics. Worst-case scenario you waste a bit of time applying and don't get an interview. In my case I ended up landing a well-paying job in a growing field with lots of job security. After interviewing, I was hoping to match to the OTPP or Treasury Board, but in retrospect I'm much happier I didn't.

Thirdly, don't dismiss every 4-month coop just because you would prefer an 8-month term. In my case the employer was perfectly fine renewing my coop for a second and third term. Some just make the position 4-months so they don't end up stuck with a bad coop for a full 8 months. I didn't know that going in so I avoided applying to 4-month positions.

Hope that helps
Jul 21, 2019
1 posts
does anyone have the scripts for lab 7, 8, 9 & 10 for WIN213? It will help me a lot Thanks!!
Aug 8, 2019
2 posts
Hello Everyone,

Does anyone happen to have the ASSIGNMENT #2 for the course WIN210 with the professor Sebastian Moreno. His assignment 2 is really hard and i did poorly on it. If anyone has it , I would appreciate it if you can send to my email at xfiona-chong@hotmail.com. Thank you so much.
Deal Fanatic
May 18, 2009
5449 posts
1119 upvotes
Richmond Hill
xfionachong971936 wrote:
Aug 9th, 2019 1:05 pm
Anyone has Assignment 2 for WIN210 with Sebastian ? I would want to know where I went wrong with it.
see if someone shared it on coursehero....i have an unlock that i can spare. send me the link if u find it.
Aug 23, 2019
1 posts
Hi everyone,
Does being in President's Honour List come with any perks? Or is it just a paper of recognition?
Deal Fanatic
May 18, 2009
5449 posts
1119 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Andrew219 wrote:
Aug 24th, 2019 11:46 am
Hi everyone,
Does being in President's Honour List come with any perks? Or is it just a paper of recognition?
it's nothing, jason
Sep 4, 2019
1 posts
Hi, Im current in a situation were I can only take ios110 at night school but, im currently in enroll full time in CTY. I was just wondering if its still counted as a full credit in enrolled full time in CTY
Mar 6, 2015
385 posts
24 upvotes
DanielP71207 wrote:
Sep 5th, 2019 6:13 pm
Hi, Im current in a situation were I can only take ios110 at night school but, im currently in enroll full time in CTY. I was just wondering if its still counted as a full credit in enrolled full time in CTY
Can you actually take night school course for day school credit? Check with your department to be safe if I were you. Personally, I think it is fine.
If the post or comment helps or delights you, please CLICK that LIKE BUTTON!😃
Dec 16, 2013
197 posts
14 upvotes
Scarborough
For anyone who knows about parking at the Newnham campus:

I just purchased an evening/weekend parking permit for Newnham campus for tomorrow evening (Sept. 17th). I made my payment online via Seneca's parking portal.

As this will be my first time utilizing the parking lots at Newnham, I'm wondering how it works. My questions are the following:

1) When I enter the parking lot area, I assume there will be entry (and exit) gates, like there are at all paid parking lots. Since I purchased my parking pass online, how will the entry gate open for my car? Will it open automatically? How will the exit gate work, since I shouldn't have to pay again when I exit?

2) What exactly constitutes the "evening hours" according to Seneca? 5pm to 11:59pm on weekdays? Does my evening parking permit mean I have unlimited entry and exit within this time period?

3) According to my parking permit, I am allowed to park at any "general access" parking lot at the Newnham campus. Which parking lots does this refer to? I cannot find any parking lots labelled "general access" on this Newnham campus map:

Oct 3, 2019
1 posts
Can anyone help me with this ULI101 question.

sample_dir is a subdirectory of your current home directory. Move to sample_dir using a relative pathname.

If anyone knows I have tried for hours using mv and cd