Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2004
6651 posts
995 upvotes
GTA

Seneca Computer programs? which one?

any suggestions, reviews, on the 3yr programs?

Computer Engineering Technology
Computer Programming and Analysis
Computer Systems Technology

??

out of the fields programming, networking, engineering which one offers the best jobs?
10 replies
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16872 posts
2557 upvotes
Probably Computer Systems or Computer programming. Computer engineering?!Unless you have a PENG you're not going anywhere in Computer Engineering.
Deal Guru
Jun 28, 2004
10349 posts
8 upvotes
coolspot wrote:Probably Computer Systems or Computer programming. Computer engineering?!Unless you have a PENG you're not going anywhere in Computer Engineering.
Depends on which area.. software positions generally don't require a PEng. Although most CE positions you'd think of (ex. hardware design at ATI, or what have you..) do require a university degree..
So long. I'm outta here.
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2005
3426 posts
492 upvotes
YYZ
Complete CTY (Computer System Technology), get some cisco and ms certs, it'll get u somewhere.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2004
6651 posts
995 upvotes
GTA
Realrena wrote:Complete CTY (Computer System Technology), get some cisco and ms certs, it'll get u somewhere.
is Cisco still gonna be in high demand after 3-4 years?
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2005
3426 posts
492 upvotes
YYZ
greg123 wrote:is Cisco still gonna be in high demand after 3-4 years?
IMO, yes.
I dont know about MCSE, MCSA etc tho
Deal Guru
Jun 28, 2004
10349 posts
8 upvotes
Not to thread hijack, but has anyone done the J2EE certificate program at Seneca? Is it worth the ~$3000? Or is it all pretty much information you can get from reading books?
So long. I'm outta here.
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16872 posts
2557 upvotes
d_jedi wrote:Not to thread hijack, but has anyone done the J2EE certificate program at Seneca? Is it worth the ~$3000? Or is it all pretty much information you can get from reading books?
Certifications are worth it - for Java, Cisco, etc. Microsoft technologies less so unless you're a network/systems/database admin.

But take a look at this article... there are a bunch of certs out there:

http://www.developer.com/java/other/article.php/1446581

Might be better getting one from Sun/IBM (better known).
Deal Guru
Jun 28, 2004
10349 posts
8 upvotes
coolspot wrote:Certifications are worth it - for Java, Cisco, etc. Microsoft technologies less so unless you're a network/systems/database admin.

But take a look at this article... there are a bunch of certs out there:

http://www.developer.com/java/other/article.php/1446581

Might be better getting one from Sun/IBM (better known).
I'm more interested in the class/training than the actual certificate.. as far as I'm concerned, if a program teaches you the right stuff, getting the certs. is just a formality.
So long. I'm outta here.
Jan 13, 2006
682 posts
8 upvotes
probably computer systems technology is the best.

if possible, go to University.
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16872 posts
2557 upvotes
d_jedi wrote:I'm more interested in the class/training than the actual certificate.. as far as I'm concerned, if a program teaches you the right stuff, getting the certs. is just a formality.
You're too utopian... If you're going to pay money for training you might as well get a well recognized certification.

Otherwise you might as well stay home and do self-study (which is very easy to do with programming).

When employers are glacing over resumes, they'll see "Seneca Java Programmer" vs. "IBM Websphere Certified Developer" or "Sun Certified Developer". Seneca doesn't exactly conjure images of an amazing programmer :|

Seneca isn't a place where technology hotshots goto - so verify with Seneca what sort of certification if any you'll get for taking the course. I know Seneca/Sun have an alliance of some sort - so maybe you'll come out with a Sun Cert in which case it's worth to take the course :)

But if Seneca is merely for training - it might be worth getting that training on your own... or in conjunction with a Sun/IBM cert instead.

P.S. If you're really into programming, and you have the marks, take a look at Waterloo. It's a brutal course, but the respect you get one you come out (at least in the Canadian market) is worth the effort.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)